Patient Comments: Weight Control and Smoking Cessation - Physical Activity

What types of physical activity worked for you while trying to quit smoking?

Comment from: boomer, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I am 49 years old and have smoked since I was 15 years old. I was worried about weight gain when I quit smoking, as I struggled with weight when I was young. I started going to the gym four times per week, and watching my calorie intake. Drinking lots of water helped with cravings and appetite. I have been off smoking for 7 months and have lost 10 pounds that I really didn"t need to lose anyway. It takes discipline but it gets easier I found, after 2 weeks.

Weight Control and Smoking Cessation - Avoiding Weight Gain Question: Please provide tips and suggestions for avoiding weight gain while trying to quit smoking.
Weight Control and Smoking Cessation - Snacking and Alcohol Question: Discuss your desire for snacks and alcohol while trying to quit smoking. Did you acquire other unhealthy habits?
Weight Control and Smoking Cessation - Medications Question: What medications or supplements helped with weight control and/or helped you quit smoking?
Weight Control and Smoking Cessation - Getting Help Question: Besides a doctor, did another professional help you with weight control and smoking cessation? Please share your story.