Patient Comments: Warts - Experiences

Please describe your experience with common warts.

Comment from: irishblueileen, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 05

I have tiny warts primarily on my fingers. They don't seem to grow or change. Sometimes they itch but not frequently. I wish they would go away but they have been there for years.

Comment from: Duke, 75 or over (Patient) Published: December 12

When I was in my twenties, I had a large wart on my heel. A dermatologist put a patch on it for a week and then shaved off the top of the wart. He did this many times, but it didn't work. He then froze it with liquid nitrogen and that didn't work. He then burned it with an electric needle and that didn't work. I saw my family doctor and asked him about the wart. He said dip a tooth pick in nitric acid and touch the wart. You have to put your foot immediately in freezing water to stop the burning. I did this several times and it killed the wart.

Comment from: wartmal, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: January 21

I had a wart on my palm few years ago about half a cm in diameter. It developed from an un-popped blister inflicted by hot oil while cooking. I never properly treated it but was always annoyed by it, sometimes picking out pulps sticking out just for the satisfaction imagining I could pick out the whole colony, which clearly failed. About three months later returning from the beach I realized the wart begins to wilt but quickly grows back again. Assuming it was the salinity of the sea water, I covered the wart with table salt holding it together with a Band-Aid changing the salt and Band-Aid every day. After about 3-4 days, the wart shrunk turned dark. Once again, I picked the wart with the tweezers and the entire layer of wart was pulled out. Aww, the satisfaction! Underneath was pink tender skin like you have underneath the outer transparent skin. I did made an appointment with the doctor but the wart was gone when I went to see him. The wart never came back but the doctor doesn't believe the salt removed it.

Comment from: RM, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 04

I used to work with a lot of produce at a grocery store when I was a teenager and I got warts on my hands like they were going out of style. I had a couple of them frozen off and one cut off, but I kept getting them. Someone that I worked with told me to soak my hands in very hot water for at least 10 minutes every day until they were gone, hot as I could stand without actually burning the healthy skin. He said the wart tissue was not as resilient as normal tissue and would die from the heat. I used water that was about 125 degrees (F) for 15 minutes each day just to make sure. I don't really know when the warts were done in but they all started crumbling off after about a week. As long as I worked there and remembered I kept soaking in very hot water and the warts never came back. I don't work with produce any more so I don't get them anymore, but there is no way they all fell off in the same few days. It had to be the hot water.

Comment from: knittr, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I have been undergoing treatment for two plantar warts on my left heel for a few months now and am considering stopping in favor of home treatment. My doctor's methods (first three treatments with cantharidin, last two with liquid nitrogen and a yeast injection) have been pretty effective so far. Cantharidin reduced the smaller of the two after only two treatments, whereas the larger one didn't budge much. After one liquid nitrogen and injection session, both are quite a bit improved and the smaller one nearly cured. However, in my experience these treatments have been quite painful and temporarily limit my usual activities (the first few days after treatment are painful enough to make walking unpleasant and yoga out of the question).

Comment from: phil, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 28

I had cauterized to remove my warts, there were so many, more than 50 in my neck and face. My first session they cauterized about 30 to 40 in my face. The second session was a retouch just in my face and some were left in my face, and then some re-schedule for my neck warts.

Comment from: col, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

Grapefruit seed oil works for common warts. Only a few drops and bandage it up; it takes a few days!

Warts - Effective Treatments Question: Which wart treatments have been effective for you?
Warts - OTC Treatments Question: Have you tried OTC treatments for warts? Please share your experience.
Warts - Seeing a Doctor Question: Why did you go to a doctor for wart removal? Was it successful? Please discuss your experience.