Patient Comments: Warts - Experiences

Please describe your experience with common warts.

Comment from: sarah, Published: December 09

My doctor said that my thyroid was not doing its job and that I needed a stronger dose of levothyroxine, after a blood test. He said that it would give me more energy like I don't have enough now! It seems that as we grow older we are on medicine that we were not before. One less pill to take is fine with me as I take too many now.

Comment from: phil, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 28

I had cauterized to remove my warts, there were so many, more than 50 in my neck and face. My first session they cauterized about 30 to 40 in my face. The second session was a retouch just in my face and some were left in my face, and then some re-schedule for my neck warts.

Comment from: knittr, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I have been undergoing treatment for two plantar warts on my left heel for a few months now and am considering stopping in favor of home treatment. My doctor's methods (first three treatments with cantharidin, last two with liquid nitrogen and a yeast injection) have been pretty effective so far. Cantharidin reduced the smaller of the two after only two treatments, whereas the larger one didn't budge much. After one liquid nitrogen and injection session, both are quite a bit improved and the smaller one nearly cured. However, in my experience these treatments have been quite painful and temporarily limit my usual activities (the first few days after treatment are painful enough to make walking unpleasant and yoga out of the question).

Comment from: col, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

Grapefruit seed oil works for common warts. Only a few drops and bandage it up; it takes a few days!

Comment from: vj, 25-34 (Patient) Published: October 08

I had few planter warts under my right foot. I tried freezing it but it didn't work. I read they are temperature sensitive, that's why doctors try to burn them and freeze them. I decided to treat my planter wart. I soaked my feet in warm water for 3-4 weeks daily. The temperature of water should be warm (don't burn or harm yourself). The entire wart turned black and then I used pumice stone to slowly scrape them daily. I changed my diet to very healthy foods including lots of fresh fruits and vegetables for strong immunity as a healthy immune system also kills the wart virus. All the warts on my foot are gone. No marks, no pain.

Comment from: leneysr, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 10

I had plantar warts since Junior High School. They were on and off painful, especially as a track runner and the spike catches a hard cinder (60's era). The pain would drop me to the ground. Finally as an adult (30ish) I sought the assistance of a dermatologist. The Doctor used a variety of treatments, electrical burning, acid, cutting and the problem never went away. After a year of weekly treatments, lots of cash, and hobbling around in pain I stopped. I read an article in Readers Digest on plantar warts (mid 70's) and how difficult it was to remove using conventional means. The article stated that if you soaked your feet in 120 deg F water for 20 minutes a day they would go away. They were gone in about a week and never returned.

Comment from: wart never again, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

I used to have a wart on my index finger. Drug store treatments never helped. After using them the wart grew back. My aunt advised me to mix ground garlic with pig's fat (to prevent from burning, garlic can burn your skin really bad) and to keep this mixture overnight on the wart, wrapped well. I did it several times. The wart disappeared.

Comment from: anonymous, Published: August 31

I developed a plantar wart on the bottom of my heal that lasted for about 3 years. It was painful when I walked and I tried many treatments with the pads, but they never worked. I also went to a podiatrist and he froze it, but it came back. I finally gave up. Unrelated to the wart problem, I started to take a multi-vitamin like Centrum every day and the wart disappeared after a month or two. I don't know if the disappearance was related to the vitamin or not.

Warts - Effective Treatments Question: Which wart treatments have been effective for you?
Warts - OTC Treatments Question: Have you tried OTC treatments for warts? Please share your experience.
Warts - Seeing a Doctor Question: Why did you go to a doctor for wart removal? Was it successful? Please discuss your experience.