Patient Comments: Warts - Effective Treatments

Which wart treatments have been effective for you?

Comment from: 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

I've had a wart on my leg for about seven months. First, when I was positive it was a wart, I went to the doctors. They used liquid nitrogen, which seemed to work, but it came back after a while. I tried an over-the-counter method, but it didn't work either. I still have it now, but I'm hoping to burn it off.

Comment from: ujjaene, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

I have had warts on my hands and foot (and these were spreading) for five long years. I tried all sorts of treatments: freezing, burning, covering it, (with the help of the doctors), etc. Finally, a doctor advised laser surgery. But after we decided on the operation, within 10 days (after all these years) all of the warts disappeared, and my skin became totally healthy and normal. Perhaps patience is the best cure.

Comment from: Malcolm K, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 17

Desperate, I decided to try the home treatment of banana skins placed on the wart and wrapped with tape. I changed the banana skin twice a day. After a week, nothing had happened: The roots were still there. I got disgusted and stopped the treatment. Then, about four days later, the wart dried up and started falling off. The wart was gone in about three weeks with the banana treatment.

Comment from: fluffyjr, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I've had warts on the bottom of my feet about three times now. One time, the doctor gave me salicylic acid pads, burned them, and gave me some cream as a trial thing. (It was a skin cancer cream and worked well.) I don't remember what it was called. Recently, my boyfriend's doctor told him to crush aspirin, mix it with a small amount of Vaseline to make a paste, put a small amount over the wart, and cover it with duct tape. After two days, remove it, scrub it down with a pumice stone, and then repeat the process until it is gone. When he told me about that I thought he was crazy, but after not being able to walk for two weeks because I had one cut out of my foot, and it still came back, I decided to give it a shot. It works amazing, believe it or not. After the first day, I could see that it was working better than the over-the-counter salicylic acid pads.

Comment from: marylou, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

I had warts all over my face since I was 5-years-old. Kids used to tease me because it was really spread out all over my face and it was pretty obvious. When I got here to the states, I went to a dermatologist and she gave me prescription for Aldara. It was a miracle. Now I'm clear and flawless.

Comment from: ryaeger, 7-12 Male Published: September 26

My son is 8 years old and he had a wart on the top of his foot for about two years. I tried the band aides for them. I tried freezing it away but it did not work. However, my uncle suggested that I use clear fingernail polish on it twice a day. I did and it has been three weeks and now it is gone. I also have a five year old son. I used it on his as well. It did kill the wart but it has not completely gone away yet. It is much smaller though. I hope this might help.

Comment from: Prissy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I had an annoying wart on the lateral aspect of my right index finger for over a year. I purchased Dr. Scholl's freeze away treatment. I used the treatment for about 10 days. My finger became irritated and sore the last few days of treatment. The skin around the wart loosened easily but the skin on the center of the wart was still attached and wouldn't come loose. I prepared myself for some pain and ripped off the skin in one quick motion. It bled a little so I applied direct pressure, applied antibiotic ointment and covered it with a band aid. I removed the band aid after 2 days and let the area dry up and scab over. It has healed completely after 5 days.

Comment from: Sue, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 25

I've been taking my 11 year old son to the dermatologist for about a year or so. He has a wart between his finger and nail. They have been freezing his finger every month. Two months ago it looked like his finger was getting better, but now it looks worse. They keep telling me that it will take time to get it out. My son can't play guitar any more. His finger gets dry and it hurts.

Warts - Experiences Question: Please describe your experience with common warts.
Warts - OTC Treatments Question: Have you tried OTC treatments for warts? Please share your experience.
Warts - Seeing a Doctor Question: Why did you go to a doctor for wart removal? Was it successful? Please discuss your experience.