Patient Comments: Warts - Effective Treatments

Which wart treatments have been effective for you?

Comment from: Sue, Published: February 17

My daughter had a large wart on the bottom of her middle toe with several mosaic style warts nearby on the ball of her foot. She was too young to have the dermatologist freeze them off. He told us to use Compound W and duct tape. It took a couple of weeks, but then I simply lifted the wart out of her toe! The smaller mosaic style warts disappeared too. Currently, she has several flat warts on her hands. Those have been more difficult, so I am looking for options. At this age, she is self-conscious about wearing duct tape on her hands.

Comment from: 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 15

My son had warts in his all inside finger nails. I approached various doctors. They have given cryotherapy for more than 2 months. But no progress. Finally one doctor treated with medicine and suggested to apply a chemical on the wart by using tooth picks. Just dip the stick point with the chemical and give gentle jerk in outer area of wart, which goes inside the skin. Within 1 month warts have cleared.

Comment from: Kim, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

I have dissolved away many warts using apple cider vinegar. Put a small piece of q-tip cotton soaked in vinegar on the wart. Cover well with water-proof tape: white, medical tape, for example, or duct tape. Make sure no air can get in. Leave in place for 3 days. Don't get the area wet. After 3 days, remove the tape. The area will be white and withered. Sand down the wart with a nail file--it will rub off easily and painlessly. Leave the area uncovered for 24 hours, so that surrounding skin can recover. Then repeat the process until the wart is totally gone. This method works very well and is very inexpensive!

Comment from: warthandboy, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 07

When I was a boy of 6 or 7 years old I had 24 warts on my hands. Back then, someone told us kids that if we tied a knot in a string (one for each wart), rub each knot on a specific wart, then have the person who tied the string take it and bury it in an unknown place (never to tell its location) – then the warts would disappear. My cousin did the deed and the warts disappeared within two weeks. True story – it worked. I had been wart-free until recently and now have a few growing in various places on my body. After 60 years of no warts – no kidding. Maybe it will work for you.

Comment from: PrnssVespa, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 19

This is going to sound silly, but when I was 6 or so, I had a wart on my left hand under my ring finger. My mother told me that when she was a kid, her doctor told her to spit on her wart every morning before brushing her teeth. She said the acids from your mouth would "eat" away at the wart. So, every morning I would spit on the wart, and throughout the day I would lick it. It took about two or three weeks, but the wart turned black. When it did that, my mom took a sterile needle, and pulled the black out. It was gross, but it didn't bleed or hurt and the tiny hole that it left healed over in days. I don't even have a scar. So, I think as long as it's a single wart and in a place where you can "spit" on it, it's worth a try.

Comment from: Terry, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

I used duct tape, and it worked for me! I changed it every day for about five days, and it went away! I have used this method several times, and it does the trick, even when I keep my hands wet a lot.

Comment from: terripeden, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

I have used superglue with great results. Put on a couple of drops, let it dry, then peel it off. The wart is gone in about a week. It seems to work by removing the "roots" or "seeds" of the wart that are growing on or just below the surface.

Comment from: Patty, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I have had warts on my heel for about four years now. I had a doctor prescribe salicylic acid, which I put on faithfully for a year until finally he burned them off. They came back. The second doctor started with laser treatments right away with no success until he did surgery and cut them out. They came back. I just finished my second round of burning in the scar area and now am unable to walk because of the pain. I now have no money -- or heel for that matter -- to continue in this way. I'm terrified it will come back just like it has for four years now.

Warts - Experiences Question: Please describe your experience with common warts.
Warts - OTC Treatments Question: Have you tried OTC treatments for warts? Please share your experience.
Warts - Seeing a Doctor Question: Why did you go to a doctor for wart removal? Was it successful? Please discuss your experience.