Patient Comments: Warts - Effective Treatments

Which wart treatments have been effective for you?

Comment from: 1warty, 55-64 (Patient) Published: October 22

I had a wart on my hand for a few years that nothing would deter, including liquid nitrogen. I read in the newspaper a home remedy - soak a cotton ball in vinegar and tape it to your hand overnight for several days. The vinegar made a raw sore on my hand but once it healed, the wart was finally gone. Modern medicine couldn't didn't do it!

Comment from: Niah, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I had a wart on my head and garlic was my treatment. I would file it down, use peroxide if I wasn't washing my hair on that day and put a piece of garlic that covered the whole wart. I would then put a cotton ball and pin my hair over it so it doesn't move during the night. In the morning, I removed it, saw how much it improved, went on with my day without smelling like garlic and then started over the next night. It took about a month to get it right otherwise, It would've taken me 2 weeks. A little advice: Always use the right size of garlic slice, covering the whole wart but not covering too much healthy skin. Always use fresh garlic (this was the major cause of my setback).

Comment from: Val, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

I had a small but annoying wart on the side of my middle finger for two years. I tried using over-the-counter treatments, but none worked. Recently, I started noticing two more growing on the same hand, so I went to my doctor. He froze them with liquid nitrogen (three times each). I was not expecting them to get big blisters! Once the swelling came down, they turned into scabs, and I scratched them off.

Comment from: al, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 28

I am reading your wart treatments with a view to removing the many hundreds of warts that have almost covered the insides of my thighs, under arms, over my eye lids and many other places since I have worked on a roof last winter which had all sorts of horrid things thrown on it from the inhabitants who lived above. I have tried cream, but it is sold in so small of quantities that is not worth buying. I need serious help here. They are horrible and getting worse.

Comment from: One wart is gone, (Patient) Published: July 28

I started to have plantar warts since 12. Of the four treated by doctor only one is gone. He used electricity to burn the wart and then cut them. Luckily, the biggest one is gone. The skin there feels a little different, when I press it, it's a bit hard. The other one got a bit smaller after the treatment and since then I don't try to do anything to it. The only that was really completely gone, was the one I scratched it off. It was rather small and very swollen. I used finger nails to scratch the side and it started bleeding. I got the whole whitish little ball like thing out and I guess that's the whole wart. After that, that particular wart never comes back!

Comment from: Mommaof3, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I had a wart on my knee from age 8 to about age 16. I tried everything from over-the-counter products to freezing it at the doctor's office. Nothing would work. Then as a teenager, it got pretty big and embarrassing, so I went to the doctor and he gave me a numbing shot in the leg and cut it out. It left a scar but I'd much rather have a scar than an ugly wart! It's never come back, and I'm now 30.

Comment from: Sue, Published: February 17

My daughter had a large wart on the bottom of her middle toe with several mosaic style warts nearby on the ball of her foot. She was too young to have the dermatologist freeze them off. He told us to use Compound W and duct tape. It took a couple of weeks, but then I simply lifted the wart out of her toe! The smaller mosaic style warts disappeared too. Currently, she has several flat warts on her hands. Those have been more difficult, so I am looking for options. At this age, she is self-conscious about wearing duct tape on her hands.

Comment from: 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 15

My son had warts in his all inside finger nails. I approached various doctors. They have given cryotherapy for more than 2 months. But no progress. Finally one doctor treated with medicine and suggested to apply a chemical on the wart by using tooth picks. Just dip the stick point with the chemical and give gentle jerk in outer area of wart, which goes inside the skin. Within 1 month warts have cleared.

Warts - Experiences Question: Please describe your experience with common warts.
Warts - OTC Treatments Question: Have you tried OTC treatments for warts? Please share your experience.
Warts - Seeing a Doctor Question: Why did you go to a doctor for wart removal? Was it successful? Please discuss your experience.