Patient Comments: Vitiligo - Diagnosis

How was your vitiligo diagnosed?

Comment from: Diane, Female (Caregiver) Published: April 12

I am 46, I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism (Hashimoto's thyroiditis) in 2014. My main symptoms were extreme tiredness, weight gain, brain fog, depression, difficulty concentrating or having any real interest in anything, tinnitus, feeling cold, vitiligo, hair loss and withdrawal from social activity, patches of dry skin, pressure behind eyes, itchy and sensitive skin around eyes, worsening vision, dizziness, itchy arms and legs, water retention, aches and pains. I started on 50 mcg of levothyroxine and am now on 125 mcg. I don't feel much better, I am hoping my last increase of levothyroxine helps and I have also started to supplement iron, B12, vitamin C, vitamin D3 and magnesium. Apparently it is important to get all nutrient levels up in order to get the best from the thyroid medications. I am moody, impatient and constantly tired, cold and hungry. I do have hope as I know some people feel better once they have started to look after their diet, etc. I have cut right down on gluten and the bloating has improved, I now have to watch the goitrogenic foods and aim to cut down on dairy. It is a total lifestyle change, and a much lesser life to be honest. I cry on a regular basis for no real reason and eat like an elephant. I have gained 3 and a half stone. When I get a bit of energy I may look into natural thyroid hormone replacement but at the moment there is so much information to take in so slowly does it.

Comment from: Amit K. D., 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 29

I have been suffering right side testicular pain. It first started in 2010. I had visited the hospital. In examination of color Doppler (USG) of testis there was no problem. The report was normal. They advised not to ride motor cycle with two riders. Since then there was no problem till February 2016. But now the pain has returned. I have visited a surgeon, and he has given me only light dose pain killer. He examined physically and told me that there is no swelling or any other problem. The eosinophil, cholesterol, urine culture, and sugar reports are normal. But sometime the pain is going on basically at night.

Comment from: cay, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

I was diagnosed with vitiligo when I was in second Grade i have spots on my Knees, fingers, hands, wrists, upper torso, tummy, around my hips, knees, feet and starting to get some on my face, I am now a Senior in high school. In Elementary and Junior High kids would stare and always ask me what I had and I never knew how to answer them but "oh I lost the color in my skin." I used to be ashamed of my spots. Now I am older I have accepted that they are part of me and they make me different than everyone else I know. Everyone who asks me what I have now I tell them and they think it's the coolest thing. I've embraced my vitiligo, and I hope everyone who has it does as well. I am just really thankful that I have a Disease that will not kill me or that has affected me physically at all. I consider myself lucky.

Comment from: 3-6 Female (Patient) Published: November 16

Hi! I have a 3 year old daughter and she start developing vitiligo (white patches) on top of her eyes (between the eye and eyelash) Please tell me how do i stop it or prevent it from spreading to other parts of the body.

Comment from: A.M.H., 55-64 Female Published: September 14

I am a 62 year old woman in great health. I was first diagnosed at about 5 years of age. I had patches of vitiligo throughout my life, especially noticeable during my mid teens. At the age of 40 I lost all my patches and I am now perfectly white all over. The patches are no longer visible. A Doctor that I saw in Cuba said that I had universal vitiligo, which meant my whole body is covered. I now just have a very porcelain white skin. I try to stay out of the sun at peak times, because I have had some severe sun burns. I was never a sun worshipper so perhaps that helped somewhat.

Vitiligo - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your vitiligo?
Vitiligo - Depigmented Patches Question: Describe your type of vitiligo, its location on your body, and the progression of your depigmented patches.
Vitiligo - Coping Question: What coping methods have helped you in dealing with the emotional and psychological issues associated with vitiligo?
Vitiligo - Personal Experience Question: With your first symptoms, did you suspect vitiligo or think it might be something else? Please describe your experience.