Patient Comments: Vitiligo - Diagnosis

How was your vitiligo diagnosed?

Comment from: cay, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

I was diagnosed with vitiligo when I was in second Grade i have spots on my Knees, fingers, hands, wrists, upper torso, tummy, around my hips, knees, feet and starting to get some on my face, I am now a Senior in high school. In Elementary and Junior High kids would stare and always ask me what I had and I never knew how to answer them but "oh I lost the color in my skin." I used to be ashamed of my spots. Now I am older I have accepted that they are part of me and they make me different than everyone else I know. Everyone who asks me what I have now I tell them and they think it's the coolest thing. I've embraced my vitiligo, and I hope everyone who has it does as well. I am just really thankful that I have a Disease that will not kill me or that has affected me physically at all. I consider myself lucky.

Comment from: 3-6 Female (Patient) Published: November 16

Hi! I have a 3 year old daughter and she start developing vitiligo (white patches) on top of her eyes (between the eye and eyelash) Please tell me how do i stop it or prevent it from spreading to other parts of the body.

Comment from: A.M.H., 55-64 Female Published: September 14

I am a 62 year old woman in great health. I was first diagnosed at about 5 years of age. I had patches of vitiligo throughout my life, especially noticeable during my mid teens. At the age of 40 I lost all my patches and I am now perfectly white all over. The patches are no longer visible. A Doctor that I saw in Cuba said that I had universal vitiligo, which meant my whole body is covered. I now just have a very porcelain white skin. I try to stay out of the sun at peak times, because I have had some severe sun burns. I was never a sun worshipper so perhaps that helped somewhat.

Comment from: acceptance, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 08

I'm a 55-year-old female with vitiligo. I have had a couple of small spots since my late 30s. About three years ago, it took off, and now I am covered with large areas of white. I tried light treatments, skin ointments and pills prescribed by a dermatologist to no avail. Now I even have some on my face. Linda Seidel makeup helps cover up the facial spots (you can order it online only). I used to be so embarrassed of it. Now I'm just concerned since I had squamous cell skin cancer on a white patch on my back less than a year ago.

Comment from: Melluna, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

My vitiligo was diagnosed as a child, and I have a great aunt on my paternal side that has it as well. Hers is more widespread and more noticeable; however, I am so light in skin color that you sometimes cannot tell I even have it unless I have gotten some sun. I also have what I would consider premature graying of the hair, with my first white hairs showing up at around age 13. My vitiligo has not spread much since childhood, and the most recent manifestations are the areas around moles losing pigment, then the moles themselves losing pigment and all but disappearing to the eye.

Comment from: zai, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I was just diagnosed yesterday with vitiligo. I have small patches on my hands, elbows and feet. Most people here have had it a long time. And it makes me happy to see so many people embrace it as beauty. I hope I get to that point quickly. I"m not sad, but just a little scared if it spreads more. I started some creams today.

Comment from: Roger, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

On returning from Spain where I spend a lot of time, I developed white itchy patches on the backs of my hands. It was initially diagnosed as 'prickly heat', later on the doctor told me it was 'vitiligo' and I was getting too much sun.

Vitiligo - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your vitiligo?
Vitiligo - Depigmented Patches Question: Describe your type of vitiligo, its location on your body, and the progression of your depigmented patches.
Vitiligo - Coping Question: What coping methods have helped you in dealing with the emotional and psychological issues associated with vitiligo?
Vitiligo - Personal Experience Question: With your first symptoms, did you suspect vitiligo or think it might be something else? Please describe your experience.