Patient Comments: Vitiligo - Diagnosis

How was your vitiligo diagnosed?

Comment from: Kevin, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 16

I just got diagnosed today. Ugh.I have read that there really is not an effective cure or slow-down. It just is what it is. Well, onward.

Comment from: TISHA, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 24

I started with vitiligo when I was 6 yrs old, right after a diagnoises of Lukemia. It appeared on my ankles, elbows,fingers, basically every joint area had these blotches. I was told back then there was no cure and to avoid the sun, after many years of no beach, no sun, as a teen I said forget that and exposed my vitiligo to the sun. Over the years it reversed, turning into brown freckle like spots, most areas are all gone. the weirdest part is after the vitiligo appeared I never ever tested positive for Leukemia again. EVER I am now 45 yrs old and the doctors back then couldn't explain this. I wonder if there is a connection?

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

I was diagnosed at age 19. At first it used to bother me. I had a small patch under my arms. Now that I am 26 I have it under my arms, my hands, my breasts, my pubic area and its now developing around my lips and eyes. I honestly dont let it bother me. I'm not worried about it. It is what it is. I have tattoos, so I guess I am a little less self conscious than most people. But its all about your attitude about it. If people are too ignorant to know and they just stare.. let them. Chances are they arent worth it anyway.

Comment from: Rose, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 14

At the age of 49 I started having white spots in my pubic area. About a year later white spots start appearing on my chin, cheeks, and forehead. It's been about 3 years now and my face, neck, pubic area all lost its pigmentation. I was diagnosed by two dermatologist who used the ultraviolet light and told me it's Vitiligo. I tried to conceal as much of my face as possible with concealing make up.

Comment from: jalsql, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 03

I have had vitiligo since I was 17. It is on my knees, fingers, elbows, feet and eyelids. It started as a small dot on the first joint of my left thumb. the patches are almost the same on my right/left areas of my body. I visited a dermatologist and he confirmed the patches to be vitiligo. I am now 40 years old. My patches are starting to disappear. And the only thing I have done for the past year is taken up a vegan diet and walk 1 hour per day. I was 350 lb one year ago I am now 280 (goal is 240). I am looking for a nice forum/blog to post some pics and more info.

Comment from: arabianqueen1, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 06

I'm 44 years old and I was diagnosed at 34 years old and I was so depressed and tried to hide it, so I went for treatment and nothing worked. Couldn't go to the beach anymore or swimming pools although that was my life in summer season the outside. I had to learn to cover it up with all kinds of makeup but now I except it and the best thing that helped me is sunless tan lotions and now days you could get air brushed but I can't afford it.

Comment from: checkerboy, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 06

My son developed a white patch on his little finger which went unnoticed for quite some time. I finally took him to the doctor when it spread to another finger. He is now 18 years old and has discoloration on his face, hands, feet and elbows, though he has brown skin, he still wears shorts and does not shun any type of activity. He has said it is not life threatening and life is to be lived. He has friends who understand what he has and treat him as normal. People do stare at him sometimes but he usually stares back. His one problem is that he would prefer if people asked a question instead of stare. The key word is acceptance of who you and not allowing the world to judge you and also plenty of sun block!

Comment from: me, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: January 31

Hello I am 23 years old and I was diagnosed with vitigalo yesterday. I am so depressed. I don't know what to do. I have it on my finger a tiny bit and one on my chin. I looks like is spreading and I just notice one on my butt cheek. I can't even sleep thinking about I feel like dying.

Vitiligo - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your vitiligo?
Vitiligo - Depigmented Patches Question: Describe your type of vitiligo, its location on your body, and the progression of your depigmented patches.
Vitiligo - Coping Question: What coping methods have helped you in dealing with the emotional and psychological issues associated with vitiligo?
Vitiligo - Personal Experience Question: With your first symptoms, did you suspect vitiligo or think it might be something else? Please describe your experience.