Patient Comments: Vitiligo - Diagnosis

How was your vitiligo diagnosed?

Comment from: checkerboy, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 06

My son developed a white patch on his little finger which went unnoticed for quite some time. I finally took him to the doctor when it spread to another finger. He is now 18 years old and has discoloration on his face, hands, feet and elbows, though he has brown skin, he still wears shorts and does not shun any type of activity. He has said it is not life threatening and life is to be lived. He has friends who understand what he has and treat him as normal. People do stare at him sometimes but he usually stares back. His one problem is that he would prefer if people asked a question instead of stare. The key word is acceptance of who you and not allowing the world to judge you and also plenty of sun block!

Comment from: me, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: January 31

Hello I am 23 years old and I was diagnosed with vitigalo yesterday. I am so depressed. I don't know what to do. I have it on my finger a tiny bit and one on my chin. I looks like is spreading and I just notice one on my butt cheek. I can't even sleep thinking about I feel like dying.

Comment from: Tiara, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: January 24

My doctor prescribed me with eleuphrat and other creams which worked over the short time that I used them until they caused my skin to get oily and scarred. Now I have learned to just live with it. I'm slowly getting over it, but it still sits in the back of my mind all the time.

Comment from: Joseph, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: September 07

I had vitiligo at the very early stage when I was 16. Strange as it may sound I used my own urine and smeared it daily on the affected part. Within a week the spots miraculously disappeared and they never returned. I am 27 now and no sign of it, please try that. When my father told me to use my urine I was disgusted, but it worked.

Comment from: Mar, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 15

Someone in my family was recently diagnosed with vitiligo, he is 25 years old. He has small white patches on his hands, none on his face. We are working on getting mental counseling for him, so far he is doing good mentally but then again he does not have large patches. If it spreads to his face I hope he is prepared. Thanks to all of you for sharing your story so I can be supportive to this family member with this condition and ready to deal with any rude people.

Vitiligo - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your vitiligo?
Vitiligo - Depigmented Patches Question: Describe your type of vitiligo, its location on your body, and the progression of your depigmented patches.
Vitiligo - Coping Question: What coping methods have helped you in dealing with the emotional and psychological issues associated with vitiligo?
Vitiligo - Personal Experience Question: With your first symptoms, did you suspect vitiligo or think it might be something else? Please describe your experience.