Patient Comments: Vitiligo - Diagnosis

How was your vitiligo diagnosed?

Comment from: Roger, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

On returning from Spain where I spend a lot of time, I developed white itchy patches on the backs of my hands. It was initially diagnosed as 'prickly heat,' later on the doctor told me it was vitiligo and I was getting too much sun. It causes no real problems but looks awful. I was also told it could be related to shock as I had fallen down stairs which did shake me up badly. I now have to wear gloves to protect my hands from the sun, as nothing else works.

Comment from: Nikki, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

This is now my fourth summer with vitiligo. I say summer because that's when its the hardest to have this type of disease due to the sun. Once I had gotten it, it spread very quickly throughout my body. I have to say that without my mother I have no clue how I would have been able to step out of my house. She has had this disease for about 27 years now. I have noticed that my son has two patches on his back. I am scared for him but at the same time I know I will be here for him as my mom was. I just began UVB raise and an ointment. If it works it works, if not oh well. I have lived with it for this long already. My husband and family are the best support!! We still go to Mexico every year!! ;)

Comment from: Kevin, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 16

I just got diagnosed today. Ugh.I have read that there really is not an effective cure or slow-down. It just is what it is. Well, onward.

Comment from: TISHA, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 24

I started with vitiligo when I was 6 yrs old, right after a diagnoises of Lukemia. It appeared on my ankles, elbows,fingers, basically every joint area had these blotches. I was told back then there was no cure and to avoid the sun, after many years of no beach, no sun, as a teen I said forget that and exposed my vitiligo to the sun. Over the years it reversed, turning into brown freckle like spots, most areas are all gone. the weirdest part is after the vitiligo appeared I never ever tested positive for Leukemia again. EVER I am now 45 yrs old and the doctors back then couldn't explain this. I wonder if there is a connection?

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

I was diagnosed at age 19. At first it used to bother me. I had a small patch under my arms. Now that I am 26 I have it under my arms, my hands, my breasts, my pubic area and its now developing around my lips and eyes. I honestly dont let it bother me. I'm not worried about it. It is what it is. I have tattoos, so I guess I am a little less self conscious than most people. But its all about your attitude about it. If people are too ignorant to know and they just stare.. let them. Chances are they arent worth it anyway.

Comment from: Rose, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 14

At the age of 49 I started having white spots in my pubic area. About a year later white spots start appearing on my chin, cheeks, and forehead. It's been about 3 years now and my face, neck, pubic area all lost its pigmentation. I was diagnosed by two dermatologist who used the ultraviolet light and told me it's Vitiligo. I tried to conceal as much of my face as possible with concealing make up.

Comment from: jalsql, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 03

I have had vitiligo since I was 17. It is on my knees, fingers, elbows, feet and eyelids. It started as a small dot on the first joint of my left thumb. the patches are almost the same on my right/left areas of my body. I visited a dermatologist and he confirmed the patches to be vitiligo. I am now 40 years old. My patches are starting to disappear. And the only thing I have done for the past year is taken up a vegan diet and walk 1 hour per day. I was 350 lb one year ago I am now 280 (goal is 240). I am looking for a nice forum/blog to post some pics and more info.

Comment from: arabianqueen1, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 06

I'm 44 years old and I was diagnosed at 34 years old and I was so depressed and tried to hide it, so I went for treatment and nothing worked. Couldn't go to the beach anymore or swimming pools although that was my life in summer season the outside. I had to learn to cover it up with all kinds of makeup but now I except it and the best thing that helped me is sunless tan lotions and now days you could get air brushed but I can't afford it.

Vitiligo - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your vitiligo?
Vitiligo - Depigmented Patches Question: Describe your type of vitiligo, its location on your body, and the progression of your depigmented patches.
Vitiligo - Coping Question: What coping methods have helped you in dealing with the emotional and psychological issues associated with vitiligo?
Vitiligo - Personal Experience Question: With your first symptoms, did you suspect vitiligo or think it might be something else? Please describe your experience.