Patient Comments: Vitiligo - Diagnosis

How was your vitiligo diagnosed?

Comment from: the girl, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

I discovered my vitiligo when I was 18 years old. At first my mother blamed me for it, she thought I probably used bleach and I felt alone because I knew that I didn't do that. I have it in my vagina, and that's one of the reasons why I'm still a virgin.

Comment from: pearlrose, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

About 6 months ago I went to the doctor. He said my pigment just stopped working and there is really nothing out there that will help my vitiligo. I am really confused by this. I am an outdoors person so it looks horrible and I am saddened by this. Nothing works.

Comment from: zai, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I was just diagnosed yesterday with vitiligo. I have small patches on my hands, elbows and feet. Most people here have had it a long time. And it makes me happy to see so many people embrace it as beauty. I hope I get to that point quickly. I"m not sad, but just a little scared if it spreads more. I started some creams today.

Comment from: acceptance, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 08

I'm a 55-year-old female with vitiligo. I have had a couple of small spots since my late 30s. About three years ago, it took off, and now I am covered with large areas of white. I tried light treatments, skin ointments and pills prescribed by a dermatologist to no avail. Now I even have some on my face. Linda Seidel makeup helps cover up the facial spots (you can order it online only). I used to be so embarrassed of it. Now I'm just concerned since I had squamous cell skin cancer on a white patch on my back less than a year ago.

Comment from: Melluna, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

My vitiligo was diagnosed as a child, and I have a great aunt on my paternal side that has it as well. Hers is more widespread and more noticeable; however, I am so light in skin color that you sometimes cannot tell I even have it unless I have gotten some sun. I also have what I would consider premature graying of the hair, with my first white hairs showing up at around age 13. My vitiligo has not spread much since childhood, and the most recent manifestations are the areas around moles losing pigment, then the moles themselves losing pigment and all but disappearing to the eye.

Comment from: Roger, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

On returning from Spain where I spend a lot of time, I developed white itchy patches on the backs of my hands. It was initially diagnosed as 'prickly heat', later on the doctor told me it was 'vitiligo' and I was getting too much sun.

Comment from: Roger, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

On returning from Spain where I spend a lot of time, I developed white itchy patches on the backs of my hands. It was initially diagnosed as 'prickly heat,' later on the doctor told me it was vitiligo and I was getting too much sun. It causes no real problems but looks awful. I was also told it could be related to shock as I had fallen down stairs which did shake me up badly. I now have to wear gloves to protect my hands from the sun, as nothing else works.

Comment from: Nikki, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

This is now my fourth summer with vitiligo. I say summer because that's when its the hardest to have this type of disease due to the sun. Once I had gotten it, it spread very quickly throughout my body. I have to say that without my mother I have no clue how I would have been able to step out of my house. She has had this disease for about 27 years now. I have noticed that my son has two patches on his back. I am scared for him but at the same time I know I will be here for him as my mom was. I just began UVB raise and an ointment. If it works it works, if not oh well. I have lived with it for this long already. My husband and family are the best support!! We still go to Mexico every year!! ;)

Vitiligo - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your vitiligo?
Vitiligo - Depigmented Patches Question: Describe your type of vitiligo, its location on your body, and the progression of your depigmented patches.
Vitiligo - Coping Question: What coping methods have helped you in dealing with the emotional and psychological issues associated with vitiligo?
Vitiligo - Personal Experience Question: With your first symptoms, did you suspect vitiligo or think it might be something else? Please describe your experience.