Patient Comments: Vitiligo - Personal Experience

With your first symptoms, did you suspect vitiligo or think it might be something else? Please describe your experience.

Comment from: AK Mom, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 11

My youngest son has had vitiligo since he was 2 or 3. We did not know that was what it was called and I really don"t think any doctors had ever called it by name until he was in his teens. Of course, the doctors said there was no treatment and that it was just where the skin had no pigmentation. He has always been a very handsome boy, and it has never bothered him. He has had people ask him, but he was always so outgoing that it never occurred to the other kids to tease him. He is now a freshman in college and playing college football. After seeing this site I asked him if it ever bothers him, and he laughed and said no. I have read some other peoples stories and it made me sad to see how negative this has affected their lives. My advice to them is, don"t let others put you down, turn it around on them and make it into a joke. It is what is in the inside that will shine out, and that is what people will see.

Comment from: Miller, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 20

I was shattered with the appearance of white patches on the corner of my mouth and limbs. My family doctor then told us that this condition was called vitiligo or leucoderma. Being a professional model, my confidence was crippled and I thought that it meant an end to my career. I tried almost everything - corticosteroid cream, calcipotriene. I was dismayed to find out that the results of these lasted for no more than 4 months! Besides, the relapse was worse than the first spell. I was only hesitant to try the topical psoralen plus ultraviolet A (PUVA) therapy, for I was warned that it could lead to sunburn, abnormal hair-growth, darkening of treated patches and the normal surrounding skin. The search for a lasting cure drove me from pillar to post. Exhaustive surfing led me to Vitiligease formula. Patience had to be my modus operandi and I took its entire 4 months course. I was relieved to see a marked improvement in my skin condition.

Comment from: Pam, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 09

When I first noticed the skin discolorations, I thought my teenage tormentor had returned, tinea virsicolor. Vitiligo, still very new but has been fast moving, diagnosed with Pernicious Anemia almost a month ago. Had told my sister, prone to autoimmune diseases, 15 years ago diagnosed with Graves Disease. Radioactive Iodine left me hypoactive. After my pcp confirmed not tinea virsicolor, I immediately thought of Michael Jackson and others I had seen with vitiligo.

Comment from: CENTAURBK@GMAIL.COM, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

My vitiligo was diagnosed at age 70. I went to the usual doctors, heard the usual stories, and at my age, decided it's not going away. It's not going to get better and now it's a part of my life. My husband of 56 years understands what happens to the body as we age. Some people are lucky and others are not. Don't spend your money on make-believe cures or stories.

Vitiligo - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your vitiligo?
Vitiligo - Diagnosis Question: How was your vitiligo diagnosed?
Vitiligo - Depigmented Patches Question: Describe your type of vitiligo, its location on your body, and the progression of your depigmented patches.
Vitiligo - Coping Question: What coping methods have helped you in dealing with the emotional and psychological issues associated with vitiligo?