Patient Comments: Vitiligo - Coping

What coping methods have helped you in dealing with the emotional and psychological issues associated with vitiligo?

Comment from: im ok, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 31

I was first diagnosed at age nine and am now 84. At first I had white spots in only a few areas that stayed dormant until my 30s when it started spreading and kept getting worse. After trying everything, my best course was to stay out of the sun to keep my natural pigment from tanning to avoid a strong contrast. It was difficult because I loved the beach and boating. However, staying out of the sun was a blessing in disguise. People usually guess my age to be 65 or 70 and refer to my skin as "beautiful". My advice is to not fight it and just accept it.

Comment from: Spots, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I was diagnosed with vitiligo by a dermatologist. He also told me I had Graves' disease, anyhow my vitiligo is on my face hands and feet and arms. If I get a scratch or a cut, after it heels my skin then turns white. I am Portuguese and German so my skin is a little darker than average. So I try to wear highest sun screen I can find. But it is still very noticeable. Once I was eating at a restaurant and at the table next to us a little girl said to her mom, “look mom, that lady doesn't wash her arms, look how dirty they are.” That just broke my heart so ever since then I try not to be out in public and I won't wear shorts or anything that shows too much skin. I hate this skin disorder but what can you do but live on.

Comment from: Phoenix, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 25

I was a sun goddess in my teens and early 20s. However, I tan easily. I started getting vitiligo five years ago. My husband retired from the Mayo Clinic and suggested that I use undiluted Selsun Blue shampoo on my arms where the vitiligo is. It works! I put a small amount of this shampoo in my hand, add a tiny amount of water, and rub it on my arms for overnight treatment. Meanwhile, I cover my arms when out in the sun, as I live in Scottsdale, AZ. By doing this treatment, my vitiligo is gone in a week!

Vitiligo - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your vitiligo?
Vitiligo - Diagnosis Question: How was your vitiligo diagnosed?
Vitiligo - Depigmented Patches Question: Describe your type of vitiligo, its location on your body, and the progression of your depigmented patches.
Vitiligo - Personal Experience Question: With your first symptoms, did you suspect vitiligo or think it might be something else? Please describe your experience.