Patient Comments: Vitiligo - Depigmented Patches

Describe your type of vitiligo, its location on your body, and the progression of your depigmented patches.

Comment from: Sher, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 16

My vitiligo started when I was 5, small spots on my knees, elbows, and ankles. My mom took me to the dermatologist who told her it was vitiligo. And the words that came after have hurt me almost as much as teasing and questions. No known cause and no known cure. That it will cause lack of pigmentation but nothing else that was life threatening. Fast forward 48 years to my present age, I had gone to the emergency room presenting symptoms like heart attack. I had e total cardiac work up and thank goodness no heart problem, but I was diagnosed with diabetes 1.5. Ever heard of it? Called LADA (latent autoimmunediabetesof adults) diabetes caused by guess what? My autoimmune diseases, throwing me into diabetes. And those autoimmune disease were vitiligo, Hashimoto's thyroiditis and Epstein Barr Virus. In fact it does harm you! At the time of this illness they thought I had Addison's disease because my adrenals were not working at all. At this time my vitiligo had started traveling very rapidly all over my body and my face. I don't get out in the sun so that helps to diminish the stark contrast I had as a very tan person and now I am ivory. Plus, it affects my eyes. I have sought help all over the United States all my life, from nutritional alternative doctors and traditional doctors. I have tried creams, vitamins, light therapy and none of it helped. I now just keep myself abreast of the research being done. I have had much depression and sadness over this disease so I can relate to all of you. Thank you for listening.

Comment from: Bri, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 04

When I was younger (age 6) vitiligo started off as small spots. Then over the next 3 years it spread around both of my eyes, some spots on the right side back of my neck, and a tiny patch on my right arm. Being that the vitiligo was mostly on the right side of my body it was called 'segmental vitiligo'. I found that out because I made contact with a doctor in Australia and he diagnosed me then. Around age 10-17 it began to go away greatly. My vitiligo treatment seems like it progressed gradually, the process is slow. I feel that vitiligo treatment is all in your diet and vitamins. All that medicine and UV lights is a no-no. I say that because your body doesnt need all that exposure, and with every medicine there is a side effect. Like, the doctors could be healing your vitiligo and severely damaging you inside and out and you won't know until years later. Stay away from a lot of chocolate too, take your vitamins and eat much protein foods and foods with much antioxidants (like fruits and vegetables). Today is July 31, 2014 and I only have tiny spots around my right eye, neck, and one on my arm.

Comment from: bheinz, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

I have had vitiligo since I was 3. It started on my knees and inner thighs but now at 24 it has moved all over my body and today it has moved to my scalp and has started to turn my hair white. I have tried everything my doctor told me to with no results, and this has caused me to experience depression in my whole life.

Comment from: Dada, 45-54 (Patient) Published: June 16

In the year 2013 January I had very small blisters on the back of my right palm that looked red, then later in October I went to the doctor and was diagnosed with vitiligo. I have a dog, and am suspecting that might have contributed to this disease.

Comment from: nakib, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 21

I have 4 small oval white patches of vitiligo, 2 in my left leg and 1 in my left hand finger and another in my right hand.

Comment from: baby boy, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 24

My son has had vitiligo, since he was 6 months old. The pediatrician told us that it was a diaper rash, it was not until he was 1.5 years old that he was diagnosed. He is 8 now and is sad, because he is getting frustrated, he cannot play outside if he doesn't wear long sleeves, glasses and hat, so he prefers to stay inside and play video games. That is not the life that I want for my son, he did all the treatments around the world and I think I'm giving up. Nothing works for him.

Vitiligo - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your vitiligo?
Vitiligo - Diagnosis Question: How was your vitiligo diagnosed?
Vitiligo - Coping Question: What coping methods have helped you in dealing with the emotional and psychological issues associated with vitiligo?
Vitiligo - Personal Experience Question: With your first symptoms, did you suspect vitiligo or think it might be something else? Please describe your experience.