Patient Comments: Vitiligo - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your vitiligo?

Comment from: anonanon, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 02

My father developed vitiligo in his early 60s and tried a number of treatments. What finally worked for him on his face (100 percent re-pigmentation except for some tiny spots below the nose) was Hydroval - hydrocortisone 17 valerate 0.2 percent and Protopic - tacrolimus ointment 0.1 percent (weight/weight) at night. I believe he had to avoid sun exposure. The spots on his hands were less responsive, but he thinks this is because he washed his hands too frequently while using the medicines. I hope this helps someone.

Comment from: Lois, Female (Patient) Published: July 27

I was diagnosed with vitiligo a year ago. I began a UVB phototherapy plus Protopic twice a day three months ago with fantastic results on my face (100 percent re-pigmentation). The vitiligo on my hands is still the same, however I see that one spot is getting pigment back again. I do phototherapy at home 4 times a week as also take vitamin B12, zinc, vitamin D, probiotic and gingko. I stopped eating spicy and sour food.

Comment from: A M Kumar, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 03

After 7 years Lukoskin is showing good results for vitiligo; with proper diet and follow ups. Many dots are developing in my white patches. I am a little happy. People can try out with hope.

Comment from: Jacky, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

My vitiligo was started when I was 14. So many times I've tried to find a good cure or just a cure! And about 8 mouth ago I found something called Vitilemna and I thought that it will help me and it does! I used the pill Vitilemna and gel Vitilemna and I started getting results from the 5th month! Treatment is designed for 6 months. The results are quite good for now! I can't believe it! Maybe this cure isn't so cool for everybody but I think that everyone can try to use it.

Comment from: Louis, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 21

I was diagnosed with vitiligo 7 months ago. I have been using UVB light therapy 3 times a week as well as rotating Protopic for 2 weeks (morning and night) followed by clobetasol for 2 weeks (morning and night). It"s been a slow process, but with very noticeable results on the biggest patch and no noticeable difference on the smaller ones.

Comment from: this is horrible, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 14

I am a 50 year old male and I developed vitiligo about 8 years ago. It has progressed to the point where it is now on my head and neck. I have lost all self-esteem. The treatments here are hit or miss at best. I have had nightmares of chopping my hands off so I wouldn't have to look at them any longer. If I didn't have a 16 year old son at home I would seriously contemplate suicide. I believe this is the only option left in order to stop this horrible condition from progressing to my face. It has ruined my life. I truly hate myself. Good luck to you all.

Comment from: Lee, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 31

Don't eat chocolate, wine (made of grapes), coffee, or tea, if you don't want to have vitiligo or let it get worse. Take Vitamin B, biotin, and nuts for vitamin E. Eating beef and broccoli will help. Trust me, you will get better and control it.

Comment from: Artinium, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 21

My case of vitiligo started when I was in my early 20s. It started in my beard area. The doctor I saw gave me a cream to use and it cured it for the most part. It would never really tan a lot in the area but never went white either. Ever since then it spread all over mainly on my arms and legs. The thing is, the areas it spread to were never bigger than a pencil eraser and some would go back to normal all on its own and has been doing this for decades.

Vitiligo - Diagnosis Question: How was your vitiligo diagnosed?
Vitiligo - Depigmented Patches Question: Describe your type of vitiligo, its location on your body, and the progression of your depigmented patches.
Vitiligo - Coping Question: What coping methods have helped you in dealing with the emotional and psychological issues associated with vitiligo?
Vitiligo - Personal Experience Question: With your first symptoms, did you suspect vitiligo or think it might be something else? Please describe your experience.