Patient Comments: Vitiligo - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your vitiligo?

Comment from: anonanon, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 02

My father developed vitiligo in his early 60s and tried a number of treatments. What finally worked for him on his face (100 percent re-pigmentation except for some tiny spots below the nose) was Hydroval - hydrocortisone 17 valerate 0.2 percent and Protopic - tacrolimus ointment 0.1 percent (weight/weight) at night. I believe he had to avoid sun exposure. The spots on his hands were less responsive, but he thinks this is because he washed his hands too frequently while using the medicines. I hope this helps someone.

Comment from: Lois, Female (Patient) Published: July 27

I was diagnosed with vitiligo a year ago. I began a UVB phototherapy plus Protopic twice a day three months ago with fantastic results on my face (100 percent re-pigmentation). The vitiligo on my hands is still the same, however I see that one spot is getting pigment back again. I do phototherapy at home 4 times a week as also take vitamin B12, zinc, vitamin D, probiotic and gingko. I stopped eating spicy and sour food.

Comment from: A M Kumar, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 03

After 7 years Lukoskin is showing good results for vitiligo; with proper diet and follow ups. Many dots are developing in my white patches. I am a little happy. People can try out with hope.

Comment from: Jacky, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

My vitiligo was started when I was 14. So many times I've tried to find a good cure or just a cure! And about 8 mouth ago I found something called Vitilemna and I thought that it will help me and it does! I used the pill Vitilemna and gel Vitilemna and I started getting results from the 5th month! Treatment is designed for 6 months. The results are quite good for now! I can't believe it! Maybe this cure isn't so cool for everybody but I think that everyone can try to use it.

Comment from: Louis, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 21

I was diagnosed with vitiligo 7 months ago. I have been using UVB light therapy 3 times a week as well as rotating Protopic for 2 weeks (morning and night) followed by clobetasol for 2 weeks (morning and night). It"s been a slow process, but with very noticeable results on the biggest patch and no noticeable difference on the smaller ones.

Comment from: Veer, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 21

Medical tattooing has been proven to be advantageous over recent years. Topical camouflage is the most effective visual treatment. It is not a traditional vitiligo treatment but used as a camouflage technique. With the help of artificial pigments that are deposited into the skin, by using any tattooing needles or surgical techniques, the patches are covered with a design. It will work best for darker skins, and the color may become lighter with the passage of time. The correctness of color match depends on the skills and competency of the tattooist. Micro-pigmentation is a process of changing the skin color by injecting artificial pigments into it. The pigment is stable and it will last for years before fading. If someone has a very long standing, stable and small vitiligo patch, and it is of cosmetic importance to cover the patch, he might choose the option of vitiligo tattooing. Tattoos do not get affected by the process of vitiligo.

Comment from: this is horrible, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 14

I am a 50 year old male and I developed vitiligo about 8 years ago. It has progressed to the point where it is now on my head and neck. I have lost all self-esteem. The treatments here are hit or miss at best. I have had nightmares of chopping my hands off so I wouldn't have to look at them any longer. If I didn't have a 16 year old son at home I would seriously contemplate suicide. I believe this is the only option left in order to stop this horrible condition from progressing to my face. It has ruined my life. I truly hate myself. Good luck to you all.

Vitiligo - Diagnosis Question: How was your vitiligo diagnosed?
Vitiligo - Depigmented Patches Question: Describe your type of vitiligo, its location on your body, and the progression of your depigmented patches.
Vitiligo - Coping Question: What coping methods have helped you in dealing with the emotional and psychological issues associated with vitiligo?
Vitiligo - Personal Experience Question: With your first symptoms, did you suspect vitiligo or think it might be something else? Please describe your experience.