Patient Comments: Vitiligo - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your vitiligo?

Comment from: Ankur, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: February 04

I have the problem of vitiligo since I was 13. I tried all types of treatments but the result was negative. Ayurvedic treatment helped a bit but later they prescribed Lukoskin medicine due to which my spots spread more. Now I am not taking any more medication. I'm too tired and shattered. I have accepted that this disease cannot be cured.

Comment from: sally, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

The only thing that helped my vitiligo was UVB light. It regained some color. You can purchase the hand held lights online. The only thing that helped to stop the spreading was some alterations to my diet. I only drink filtered water. When I have tea I do not use any sugar. Sugar avoidance and red meat avoidance as well as consuming only filtered water has done wonders for me. I don't eat citrus fruits or drinks. I also avoid juices from the store as they are packed with sugar. I don't use harsh chemicals at home or bleach.

Comment from: Smiley, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I was diagnosed with vitiligo about nine months ago. I started using 100% cocoa butter in the tube, and it helped make the white spots around my eyes and ears less noticeable.

Comment from: TheAlaskan, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I've had vitiligo my whole life. I'm 20 now with 80% coverage of it. I have a hubby and a kid and a life outside of the house! The greatest treatment I've found is simply accepting it. It is who you are. I think of it as art. I had a horrible time with people (even family) gawking at it and treating me horrible. School was especially horrible! But I found great friends who used my white patches like a coloring book. (I'm part Native American so I had it visible year-round). I love to safely tan every summer to see what changes happened during the winter. I finally embraced it. I'm not like all the other sheep in the pasture, so to speak. I'm me! Sure it's hard, but what isn't? Life shouldn't stop because you are different.

Comment from: Green, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 11

I have been battling vitiligo for about 12 years it has gotten progressively worse. I have over the past 2-3 years been using some tradition Arabic herbs for boosting immune system and also specifically for disease and have had positive results with sun exposure.

Comment from: diya, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I'm from India and my age is 22. I had patches when I was 4-5 years old. I had an allopathic treatment and then it had all gone, but after 4 years it came back and started spreading slowly. Now I have it on my eyes ,hands, legs , and stomach, I'm still taking treatment for it but nothing is working out , I use derma color to hide it but still I'm still hopeful that I'll find a cure.

Comment from: Pooja, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

I also have vitiligo since last 13 yrs, tried many medicines. It slowed down the spreading, but my existing spots are still there like in hands back, feet, lips. I have heard about a medicine named "lukoskin." this medicine claims to cure within 300-400 days of treatment, but there are a lot of dietary restrictions, but when we want to get rid of this terrible thing, diet should not be a constraint. Very few people know about this medicine.

Comment from: Dolly, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 08

I am 23 and from India. I have suffered from vitiligo since I was 5 years old. I started medication, but of no use I had given up but my parents were still hoping. My tensed parents tried many doctors and treatments, but none of them were useful. They are tense because I'm single. I had white patches on my legs, hand, eyes, ears which are visible to everyone. I always try to cover myself completely, but it is not possible every time. Everyone always asks how I got my white patches; people have been making hurtful comments even my brother. Maybe they feel ashamed of me, but it hurts really. So, I try not to get stressed because of vitiligo, but even though it is spread not rapidly, but slowly I am not interested in going out to parties. It burns in the sun. My true friends in college don't notice my condition until I share my story with them. I am embarrassed of my scar.

Vitiligo - Diagnosis Question: How was your vitiligo diagnosed?
Vitiligo - Depigmented Patches Question: Describe your type of vitiligo, its location on your body, and the progression of your depigmented patches.
Vitiligo - Coping Question: What coping methods have helped you in dealing with the emotional and psychological issues associated with vitiligo?
Vitiligo - Personal Experience Question: With your first symptoms, did you suspect vitiligo or think it might be something else? Please describe your experience.