Patient Comments: Vitiligo - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your vitiligo?

Comment from: Louis, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 21

I was diagnosed with vitiligo 7 months ago. I have been using UVB light therapy 3 times a week as well as rotating Protopic for 2 weeks (morning and night) followed by clobetasol for 2 weeks (morning and night). It"s been a slow process, but with very noticeable results on the biggest patch and no noticeable difference on the smaller ones.

Comment from: Baljit, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 09

I have had vitiligo since I was about 14 years old. I have vitiligo on my left face area near the chin and cheek. I have tried a lot of different medicines, it would work for a while and then no improvement at all. Someone mentioned coconut oil, again worked for couple of days and none after that. Currently I am applying toothpaste on it and it seems like it is working better than anything I have used so far. But still it will take a while before seeing any major improvements.

Comment from: Ankur, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: February 04

I have the problem of vitiligo since I was 13. I tried all types of treatments but the result was negative. Ayurvedic treatment helped a bit but later they prescribed Lukoskin medicine due to which my spots spread more. Now I am not taking any more medication. I'm too tired and shattered. I have accepted that this disease cannot be cured.

Comment from: sally, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

The only thing that helped my vitiligo was UVB light. It regained some color. You can purchase the hand held lights online. The only thing that helped to stop the spreading was some alterations to my diet. I only drink filtered water. When I have tea I do not use any sugar. Sugar avoidance and red meat avoidance as well as consuming only filtered water has done wonders for me. I don't eat citrus fruits or drinks. I also avoid juices from the store as they are packed with sugar. I don't use harsh chemicals at home or bleach.

Comment from: Smiley, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I was diagnosed with vitiligo about nine months ago. I started using 100% cocoa butter in the tube, and it helped make the white spots around my eyes and ears less noticeable.

Comment from: Green, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 11

I have been battling vitiligo for about 12 years it has gotten progressively worse. I have over the past 2-3 years been using some tradition Arabic herbs for boosting immune system and also specifically for disease and have had positive results with sun exposure.

Comment from: diya, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I'm from India and my age is 22. I had patches when I was 4-5 years old. I had an allopathic treatment and then it had all gone, but after 4 years it came back and started spreading slowly. Now I have it on my eyes ,hands, legs , and stomach, I'm still taking treatment for it but nothing is working out , I use derma color to hide it but still I'm still hopeful that I'll find a cure.

Comment from: TheAlaskan, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I've had vitiligo my whole life. I'm 20 now with 80% coverage of it. I have a hubby and a kid and a life outside of the house! The greatest treatment I've found is simply accepting it. It is who you are. I think of it as art. I had a horrible time with people (even family) gawking at it and treating me horrible. School was especially horrible! But I found great friends who used my white patches like a coloring book. (I'm part Native American so I had it visible year-round). I love to safely tan every summer to see what changes happened during the winter. I finally embraced it. I'm not like all the other sheep in the pasture, so to speak. I'm me! Sure it's hard, but what isn't? Life shouldn't stop because you are different.

Vitiligo - Diagnosis Question: How was your vitiligo diagnosed?
Vitiligo - Depigmented Patches Question: Describe your type of vitiligo, its location on your body, and the progression of your depigmented patches.
Vitiligo - Coping Question: What coping methods have helped you in dealing with the emotional and psychological issues associated with vitiligo?
Vitiligo - Personal Experience Question: With your first symptoms, did you suspect vitiligo or think it might be something else? Please describe your experience.