Patient Comments: Vitiligo - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your vitiligo?

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I'm 28 and living in South Africa. I've been living with vitiligo since I was 9 years old. It spread all over my legs in my teens and I used homeopathic medicine for several years that worked very slowly, but most of the spots on my legs disappeared. It's mainly small spots on my fingers, feet, elbows, and eyes now. It hasn't spread very much for several years, and I have started using a vitamin B12 supplement, as it was recommended to me by a well-known South African dermatologist. I find it works in keeping it at bay!

Comment from: Rahil, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I'm an18-year-old Iranian girl. I faced vitiligo when I was just 9! My worried parents tried many doctors and treatments but none of them were useful. The only thing that became clear to us was that it is related to nerves. So, I try not to get stressed and anxious. We gave up visiting skin specialists, and I tried to work on it mentally. Now, after nine years, the two pale patches I had on my face have completely disappeared. I just have two left on my neck. I learned step by step how not to get mad and worried about every little thing. When I learned how to overcome stress and get relaxed, I really got better. So my advice is to use daily sunscreen and try to work on yourself mentally. Talk to your friends and family members or visit a therapist, and don't get too sensitive about your disease.

Comment from: josefine, 25-34 (Patient) Published: October 15

I have vitiligo for 13 years now and I had tried different treatments (PUVA, topical steroid, meladinine cream/solution with exposure to sunlight/PUVA, oral meladinine, oil of bergamot). The vitiligo covers my neck, and one-fourth of my face. I looked for another dermatologist because I'm losing hope with my past dermatologists. Then somebody recommended me to this good dermatologist and she performed punch graft and it did very well. I had 6 punch grafts in 3 years. Then I had to apply meladinine solution to vitiligo are. It was great! Now it is 90% cured.

Comment from: fairos, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: September 25

I am Malaysian aged 22years old. I have had vitiligo disorder since age 16. At early stage I face vitiligo I'm not too worried after a year. I started to get a treatment because it makes me embarrassed with my friends because vitiligo occurred at my right thigh. So I can't wear shorts like my other friends. For the first treatment, the doctor gave me a cream for night and I used a bottle of liquid for the daylight. However, I discontinued this medicine because it is difficult for to me to lying under the sunlight and more over the effects of the medicines take a long time. I also get a treatment from specialist clinic and it showed a good responding, but too slowly. Now, this disease has spread to other parts of my body and it makes me worried. I really very depressed about this. What types, name of medicine should I use and will I ever get my original skin back?

Comment from: about vitiligo, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: March 29

I have been having vitiligo since 12 to 14 years. But now my skin is improving day by day. My treatment is going very good.

Comment from: csv, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 02

I have been suffering from vitiligo for the past 4 years. I have tried homeopathy for 3 years with limited success. I came to know about Unani treatment when some doctors suggested it to me. You are given a dietary chart to follow along with topical and oral medicines.

Comment from: AgreeWithTheAlaskan, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 16

I agree with you on everything, we are different and because of the way society views people who are 'different' in many ways, we have to deal with this like any other thing in life - be positive, accept vitiligo as a feature that we have been given. I am grateful that I am healthy in every other way and this feature which is different to most, is a part of me and my family understands and accepts this; that is what matters for me, if a stranger stares at it then that is his problem!

Vitiligo - Diagnosis Question: How was your vitiligo diagnosed?
Vitiligo - Depigmented Patches Question: Describe your type of vitiligo, its location on your body, and the progression of your depigmented patches.
Vitiligo - Coping Question: What coping methods have helped you in dealing with the emotional and psychological issues associated with vitiligo?
Vitiligo - Personal Experience Question: With your first symptoms, did you suspect vitiligo or think it might be something else? Please describe your experience.