Patient Comments: Vitiligo - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your vitiligo?

Comment from: Heather, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I am a 14-year-old girl. I was born with vitiligo. My whole life I have dealt with this disease and people making fun of it. My advice is to not fight back and realize that they are just bullies desperate for attention. They make fun of others to make themselves feel better. No one is perfect. Still, even today I am made fun of, but I ignore it, and I move on. I used to be afraid of wearing something that showed my arms and legs. I used to wear gloves in the middle of summer. But then I realized that doing that only made it worse. I was showing the bullies that I was vulnerable and couldn't take it, so they just continued to pick on me. Today, my true friends in middle school don't notice my condition until I share my story with them.

Comment from: newfie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 23

I have had vitiligo every since I was a baby. Fortunately,I was brought up to believe that I had nothing wrong. I was in my early teens before I realized there was a name to the condition I had. I have about 70% coverage over all my body including my face and hands. It looks really bad if I have a tan, so I tend to stay out of the sun or wear lots of sunscreen. Things that I have found very helpful are: spray sunscreen (so easy and fast to use), foundation makeup, and the best thing is sunless tanner. That stuff is amazing. I call it dye for the skin. The earlier stuff was crap, but the stuff they are making these days are great. If you are nervous about using it start with the gradual tanner. Works great for the face too. Use it only on the white areas or the whole face. Just wanted to let people know that there is a lot of us out there and remember we all have our scars whether they are on the inside or the out.

Comment from: South African, 25-34 (Patient) Published: October 23

I'm South African age 31. I had Vitiligo from the age of 6. It never use to bother me but after three pregnancies it spread to 90% of my body. A very good dermatologist suggested phototherapy (UVA light treatment). After two year of this treatment my vitiligo is only 20% of my body now.

Comment from: nailahsmom, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 08

I have an 8 month old baby girl with discoloration on her vagina, buttocks and around her nose she has not been officially diagnosed yet, however all of the signs point to vitiligo. I am seeking advice, and support as I have no experience with this condition. I am looking for treatments.

Comment from: Rita, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 25

Hello everyone, I have had vitiligo for 30 years. I tried all of the regular treatments as well, then gave up. I found 1 year ago, recommended by my dermatologist, the Narrow Ban Light Box. It is like a tanning booth, but you stand and the light bulbs are less harmfull. After 1 year I am seeing a significate improvement. I had white spots ALL over my body, they are re-pigmenting at a pretty good rate, considering I was covered with white. My legs are almost clear, my feet and hands may never re-pigment, but I am succeeding and I am very happy and hopeful. Please check with your doctor and ask them about the Narrow Ban Light Box.

Comment from: optional, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: February 25

I have developed vitiligo since the age of 18. Now I'm 23. I'm constantly undergoing treatment for 5-6 years but only few developments have been found my affected areas are lips, left hand palm, fingers and the affected part is very less. I tried everything I usually smoke a lot and drink twice in a month. I've heard it affects to enhance the disease how. I have been taking tablets regularly. I fear I have grown fat my age is 23 and I'm bit dark in colour and my height is 5'11 n weight is 80.

Comment from: 123, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I'm Russian, and I'm only 14. I have had vitiligo since I was 9. I have it all around my stomach, and because of this, I can't wear a bikini. I went to the doctor, and he wasn't able to help.

Comment from: gina, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

I had vitiligo in my feet since I was child, so I never had chance to wear shorts. I always had to wear jeans when I go out because I am embarrassed of my scar. I am using melatonin cream now, but I can't see its progress in me.

Vitiligo - Diagnosis Question: How was your vitiligo diagnosed?
Vitiligo - Depigmented Patches Question: Describe your type of vitiligo, its location on your body, and the progression of your depigmented patches.
Vitiligo - Coping Question: What coping methods have helped you in dealing with the emotional and psychological issues associated with vitiligo?
Vitiligo - Personal Experience Question: With your first symptoms, did you suspect vitiligo or think it might be something else? Please describe your experience.