Patient Comments: Vitiligo - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your vitiligo?

Comment from: josefine, 25-34 (Patient) Published: October 15

I have vitiligo for 13 years now and I had tried different treatments (PUVA, topical steroid, meladinine cream/solution with exposure to sunlight/PUVA, oral meladinine, oil of bergamot). The vitiligo covers my neck, and one-fourth of my face. I looked for another dermatologist because I'm losing hope with my past dermatologists. Then somebody recommended me to this good dermatologist and she performed punch graft and it did very well. I had 6 punch grafts in 3 years. Then I had to apply meladinine solution to vitiligo are. It was great! Now it is 90% cured.

Comment from: fairos, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: September 25

I am Malaysian aged 22years old. I have had vitiligo disorder since age 16. At early stage I face vitiligo I'm not too worried after a year. I started to get a treatment because it makes me embarrassed with my friends because vitiligo occurred at my right thigh. So I can't wear shorts like my other friends. For the first treatment, the doctor gave me a cream for night and I used a bottle of liquid for the daylight. However, I discontinued this medicine because it is difficult for to me to lying under the sunlight and more over the effects of the medicines take a long time. I also get a treatment from specialist clinic and it showed a good responding, but too slowly. Now, this disease has spread to other parts of my body and it makes me worried. I really very depressed about this. What types, name of medicine should I use and will I ever get my original skin back?

Comment from: alistar1970, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 07

I have had vitiligo for about 30 years now and I have never tried any treatments. I did once ask my general physician about it. He told me there was no cure and advised me to use a high factor sun cream. I have vitiligo on both arms, both legs, chest, back, neck, face, and a white patch hair on my head.

Comment from: diya, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I'm from India and my age is 22. I had patches when I was 4-5 years old. I had an allopathic treatment and then it had all gone, but after 4 years it came back and started spreading slowly. Now I have it on my eyes ,hands, legs , and stomach, I'm still taking treatment for it but nothing is working out , I use derma color to hide it but still I'm still hopeful that I'll find a cure.

Comment from: Pooja, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

I also have vitiligo since last 13 yrs, tried many medicines. It slowed down the spreading, but my existing spots are still there like in hands back, feet, lips. I have heard about a medicine named "lukoskin." this medicine claims to cure within 300-400 days of treatment, but there are a lot of dietary restrictions, but when we want to get rid of this terrible thing, diet should not be a constraint. Very few people know about this medicine.

Comment from: kika, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

I'm 41 now was diagnosed with vitiligo at age 6. Went to the only Dr. that invented the only medication that really works (not trying to advertise) it really does work. I got some of my vitiligo gone, not all because I left that country and couldn't get more medication.

Comment from: bert50cal, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: June 28

I use topical corticosteroids on my vitiligo. It seems to help.

Comment from: 45-54 Male Published: April 24

I'm 50 years old and my aunt had this condition, vitiligo. I am the lucky one to get it in my family. I just don't worry about it. I didn't get it until five years ago. My wife noticed white patches on my face. I now have patches on my hands, armpits, face, and privates. I refer to myself as “camo-man” and reassure people I come into contact with that it is not contagious. I am comfortable with it, and that's that. I hope you all understand that it's what's inside that counts.

Vitiligo - Diagnosis Question: How was your vitiligo diagnosed?
Vitiligo - Depigmented Patches Question: Describe your type of vitiligo, its location on your body, and the progression of your depigmented patches.
Vitiligo - Coping Question: What coping methods have helped you in dealing with the emotional and psychological issues associated with vitiligo?
Vitiligo - Personal Experience Question: With your first symptoms, did you suspect vitiligo or think it might be something else? Please describe your experience.