Patient Comments: Vitiligo - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your vitiligo?

Comment from: fairos, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: September 25

I am Malaysian aged 22years old. I have had vitiligo disorder since age 16. At early stage I face vitiligo I'm not too worried after a year. I started to get a treatment because it makes me embarrassed with my friends because vitiligo occurred at my right thigh. So I can't wear shorts like my other friends. For the first treatment, the doctor gave me a cream for night and I used a bottle of liquid for the daylight. However, I discontinued this medicine because it is difficult for to me to lying under the sunlight and more over the effects of the medicines take a long time. I also get a treatment from specialist clinic and it showed a good responding, but too slowly. Now, this disease has spread to other parts of my body and it makes me worried. I really very depressed about this. What types, name of medicine should I use and will I ever get my original skin back?

Comment from: Pooja, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

I also have vitiligo since last 13 yrs, tried many medicines. It slowed down the spreading, but my existing spots are still there like in hands back, feet, lips. I have heard about a medicine named "lukoskin." this medicine claims to cure within 300-400 days of treatment, but there are a lot of dietary restrictions, but when we want to get rid of this terrible thing, diet should not be a constraint. Very few people know about this medicine.

Comment from: kika, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

I'm 41 now was diagnosed with vitiligo at age 6. Went to the only Dr. that invented the only medication that really works (not trying to advertise) it really does work. I got some of my vitiligo gone, not all because I left that country and couldn't get more medication.

Comment from: bert50cal, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: June 28

I use topical corticosteroids on my vitiligo. It seems to help.

Comment from: 45-54 Male Published: April 24

I'm 50 years old and my aunt had this condition, vitiligo. I am the lucky one to get it in my family. I just don't worry about it. I didn't get it until five years ago. My wife noticed white patches on my face. I now have patches on my hands, armpits, face, and privates. I refer to myself as “camo-man” and reassure people I come into contact with that it is not contagious. I am comfortable with it, and that's that. I hope you all understand that it's what's inside that counts.

Comment from: blondeathartx1, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I'm 19 years old, and I have vitiligo on two spots of my body. I believe I got this from too much tanning and then getting burned. I am mostly Italian, so I have darker skin then most, but I do go tanning a lot. I have big white circles on my eyelids and under my eyes. It's not too bad, and you really can't see it too much. I also have white patches under my bra line like where the underwire would sit but just a little lower. I've had it for a long time, but I don't remember the exact time when I noticed it.

Comment from: curios2506, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I developed vitiligo at age 9. I found it kind of unusual how it started. I went to the beach with my family, and while in the water, it felt as if something had bit the top of my right foot. I then got out of the water and noticed a quarter-sized white spot had appeared. Slowly, after about three to five months, the spots continued to appear. They started at my knees, elbows, and later around my eyes, under my shin, and the back of my neck. My mother had taken me to the doctor and I guess with this disease being so new and maybe unknown, I was told there was really nothing they could do. So I kind of just dealt with it. I never really let it take over my life. Occasionally, I would get the "stares," more so from little kids who are curious. I am 31 now and believe it or not, my spots have slowly started to become less visible. I think that it has to do a lot with the fact that I enjoy tanning. I did notice that upon being a regular in the tanning beds that the spots that were on my knees and elbows had completely disappeared. They are just a shade darker than my skin color but less noticeable than the white patches. Soon after, I became pregnant, which eliminated the tanning beds. I did notice that the areas that had been restored to a normal pigment had now begun to slightly reappear. Needless to say, I resumed going to the tanning beds after I had my baby.

Vitiligo - Diagnosis Question: How was your vitiligo diagnosed?
Vitiligo - Depigmented Patches Question: Describe your type of vitiligo, its location on your body, and the progression of your depigmented patches.
Vitiligo - Coping Question: What coping methods have helped you in dealing with the emotional and psychological issues associated with vitiligo?
Vitiligo - Personal Experience Question: With your first symptoms, did you suspect vitiligo or think it might be something else? Please describe your experience.