Patient Comments: Vitiligo - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your vitiligo?

Comment from: sally, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

The only thing that helped my vitiligo was UVB light. It regained some color. You can purchase the hand held lights online. The only thing that helped to stop the spreading was some alterations to my diet. I only drink filtered water. When I have tea I do not use any sugar. Sugar avoidance and red meat avoidance as well as consuming only filtered water has done wonders for me. I don't eat citrus fruits or drinks. I also avoid juices from the store as they are packed with sugar. I don't use harsh chemicals at home or bleach.

Comment from: Smiley, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I was diagnosed with vitiligo about nine months ago. I started using 100% cocoa butter in the tube, and it helped make the white spots around my eyes and ears less noticeable.

Comment from: TheAlaskan, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I've had vitiligo my whole life. I'm 20 now with 80% coverage of it. I have a hubby and a kid and a life outside of the house! The greatest treatment I've found is simply accepting it. It is who you are. I think of it as art. I had a horrible time with people (even family) gawking at it and treating me horrible. School was especially horrible! But I found great friends who used my white patches like a coloring book. (I'm part Native American so I had it visible year-round). I love to safely tan every summer to see what changes happened during the winter. I finally embraced it. I'm not like all the other sheep in the pasture, so to speak. I'm me! Sure it's hard, but what isn't? Life shouldn't stop because you are different.

Comment from: Desperada, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 23

I developed vitiligo 4 years ago. At the beginning the dermatologist injected cortisone to slow down the patches from spreading fast. I have the patches on the back of the neck, all over the stomach and in the lower part of my fingers. After many treatments the doctor told me that the cortisone was accumulative and it would make my upper stomach and the upper back to grow and that the skin would get loose. I didn't want to hear anymore, I never went back. The thing is that she was right and now I have a big upper stomach, fat on my back that makes me looks like I have a hunch.

Comment from: Robert, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 08

My vitiligo developed only in the last year and has progressed to every part of my body. Yes, I was quite distressed but have now accepted that there is simply nothing that I can do to stop it. People ask what it is and I just tell them. It is not contagious so there is nothing to fear in that regard. I avoid sunlight without using sunscreen as it burns so much faster than the unaffected parts. I was discussing tattoos with a friend and he said jokingly that he was not going to get anything quite as radical as I had (referring to the white patches on my arms). I pointed out one small patch and said it was a map of the Ukraine. We both laughed and that was that. My point is that none of us should take it so seriously as to allow it to lead to depression or feeling badly about ourselves. You are still the same person you have always been. Anyone who teases you about it is not a friend anyway. Whatever anyone else thinks about it is none of your business.

Comment from: Green, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 11

I have been battling vitiligo for about 12 years it has gotten progressively worse. I have over the past 2-3 years been using some tradition Arabic herbs for boosting immune system and also specifically for disease and have had positive results with sun exposure.

Comment from: Dolly, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 08

I am 23 and from India. I have suffered from vitiligo since I was 5 years old. I started medication, but of no use I had given up but my parents were still hoping. My tensed parents tried many doctors and treatments, but none of them were useful. They are tense because I'm single. I had white patches on my legs, hand, eyes, ears which are visible to everyone. I always try to cover myself completely, but it is not possible every time. Everyone always asks how I got my white patches; people have been making hurtful comments even my brother. Maybe they feel ashamed of me, but it hurts really. So, I try not to get stressed because of vitiligo, but even though it is spread not rapidly, but slowly I am not interested in going out to parties. It burns in the sun. My true friends in college don't notice my condition until I share my story with them. I am embarrassed of my scar.

Vitiligo - Diagnosis Question: How was your vitiligo diagnosed?
Vitiligo - Depigmented Patches Question: Describe your type of vitiligo, its location on your body, and the progression of your depigmented patches.
Vitiligo - Coping Question: What coping methods have helped you in dealing with the emotional and psychological issues associated with vitiligo?
Vitiligo - Personal Experience Question: With your first symptoms, did you suspect vitiligo or think it might be something else? Please describe your experience.