Patient Comments: Vitiligo - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your vitiligo?

Comment from: Dolly, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 08

I am 23 and from India. I have suffered from vitiligo since I was 5 years old. I started medication, but of no use I had given up but my parents were still hoping. My tensed parents tried many doctors and treatments, but none of them were useful. They are tense because I'm single. I had white patches on my legs, hand, eyes, ears which are visible to everyone. I always try to cover myself completely, but it is not possible every time. Everyone always asks how I got my white patches; people have been making hurtful comments even my brother. Maybe they feel ashamed of me, but it hurts really. So, I try not to get stressed because of vitiligo, but even though it is spread not rapidly, but slowly I am not interested in going out to parties. It burns in the sun. My true friends in college don't notice my condition until I share my story with them. I am embarrassed of my scar.

Comment from: clickchic, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I'm 55 yr old woman who has vitiligo for 16 years. Mine spread rapidly throughout my body, with depigmentation on joints, under eyes, hair, etc. I tried oral and light medications to no real avail. I eventually used Benoquin which is a medication to permanently depigment the skin. Which for the most part is complete but for some spots on my face. I have to be extremely careful in the sun using hi SPF's all the time. Self tanners are great, also dying your hair to enhance your very white skin helps. People have been making hurtful comments before during and after treatment, and I chalk it up to ignorance.

Comment from: Mollee, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: February 25

I'm 16 years old and was diagnosed with vitiligo at age 10. I started to get the white spots on my knees and stomach when I was younger, around age 5 or 6 and they gradually spread and increased in size. Now I have them on my feet, elbows, armpits, stomach, knees, groin area, chest, and even a white streak in my hair. As a kid I was always picked on or asked what happened to my skin. It took a while for me to get over my skin pigment, but I've learned to live with it. I'm not afraid to wear cute swimsuits anymore or wear shorts. I have naturally dark skin year round so it is very visible and during the summer I have to wear high SPF sunscreen. I think the best treatment for this is to just live with it. I'm not going to lie, I actually have come to like it and other people do too. Everyone always asks how I got my white streak and I tell them it's natural from my skin pigment and they really like it. Maybe it's the time and place we live in now, but I believe things like this are respected and accepted. As long as you feel comfortable with it, you'll look comfortable and confident too. One of my goals in life is to be a model, and I'm not going to let my skin pigment hold me back, it's who I am and no one is going to ever change that.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I'm 28 and living in South Africa. I've been living with vitiligo since I was 9 years old. It spread all over my legs in my teens and I used homeopathic medicine for several years that worked very slowly, but most of the spots on my legs disappeared. It's mainly small spots on my fingers, feet, elbows, and eyes now. It hasn't spread very much for several years, and I have started using a vitamin B12 supplement, as it was recommended to me by a well-known South African dermatologist. I find it works in keeping it at bay!

Comment from: Rahil, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I'm an18-year-old Iranian girl. I faced vitiligo when I was just 9! My worried parents tried many doctors and treatments but none of them were useful. The only thing that became clear to us was that it is related to nerves. So, I try not to get stressed and anxious. We gave up visiting skin specialists, and I tried to work on it mentally. Now, after nine years, the two pale patches I had on my face have completely disappeared. I just have two left on my neck. I learned step by step how not to get mad and worried about every little thing. When I learned how to overcome stress and get relaxed, I really got better. So my advice is to use daily sunscreen and try to work on yourself mentally. Talk to your friends and family members or visit a therapist, and don't get too sensitive about your disease.

Comment from: josefine, 25-34 (Patient) Published: October 15

I have vitiligo for 13 years now and I had tried different treatments (PUVA, topical steroid, meladinine cream/solution with exposure to sunlight/PUVA, oral meladinine, oil of bergamot). The vitiligo covers my neck, and one-fourth of my face. I looked for another dermatologist because I'm losing hope with my past dermatologists. Then somebody recommended me to this good dermatologist and she performed punch graft and it did very well. I had 6 punch grafts in 3 years. Then I had to apply meladinine solution to vitiligo are. It was great! Now it is 90% cured.

Vitiligo - Diagnosis Question: How was your vitiligo diagnosed?
Vitiligo - Depigmented Patches Question: Describe your type of vitiligo, its location on your body, and the progression of your depigmented patches.
Vitiligo - Coping Question: What coping methods have helped you in dealing with the emotional and psychological issues associated with vitiligo?
Vitiligo - Personal Experience Question: With your first symptoms, did you suspect vitiligo or think it might be something else? Please describe your experience.