Patient Comments: Vitamin D Deficiency - Treatment

What is the treatment for your vitamin D deficiency?

Comment from: Farmor, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

My D3 level was tested through a blood test and is only 9 though for the past 2 years I have taken 5.000 IU/day. I have celiac disease and understand that some people with that disease cannot absorb fat, making it difficult to get enough of that supplement. I am a Caucasian living in the tropics for many years and have had several bouts of basal cell carcinoma, so I avoid the sun as much as possible. Now trying with 10.000 IU/day for 2 weeks, and will be tested again after 1 month.

Comment from: josischlie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I was diagnosed with relapse/remitting multiple sclerosis. I take 6,000 units of D3 daily. My vitamin D levels have always been low. I had rickets at 18 months. I drank a gallon of milk weekly and put cheese on everything I could get away with. Recently, I had gallbladder problems and was not able to have cheese for 2 years. Now, with the 6,000 units of D3 daily, I am not as depressed and can have cheese, but not milk. I am highly allergic to antibiotics and milk has traces that make me violently ill.

Comment from: Jubi, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

My lab levels of vitamin D came back very low so my doctor prescribed vitamin D3 10,000 IU. I just started taking it.

Comment from: marsluv3, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 01

I went to the doctor for leg pain and muscle aches that just wouldn't go away. She ran tests and discovered I had a vitamin D deficiency. I am now on 50,000 IU vitamin D a week for 12 weeks. I am now on my 3rd week and feel no relief at all. I thought I would notice some difference. Maybe I'm expecting too much too soon?

Comment from: jevona, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 23

I have been taken 50,000mg vitD for 8 months now my count still hasn't went up....

Comment from: MustangSally, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I started experiencing dizziness, fainting, bone pain, extreme exhaustion, weight loss, brain fog, and rapid heart rate about three months ago. My vitamin D deficiency was an incidental finding, as I was thinking I was either diabetic or had thyroid problems. It turns out my salvation may lie in the bottom of a vitamin pill bottle. We still have not ruled out the possibility of Paget's disease, but time will tell.

Comment from: nightravyn, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 26

My doctor put me on 50,000 IU a week for eight weeks.

Vitamin D Deficiency - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with a diagnosis of vitamin D deficiency?
Vitamin D Deficiency - Causes Question: If known, what were the causes of your vitamin D deficiency?
Vitamin D Deficiency - Tests Question: What were your reasons for getting tested for a vitamin D deficiency?