Patient Comments: Vitamin D Deficiency - Causes

If known, what were the causes of your vitamin D deficiency?

Comment from: Christina, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I have hypothyroidism. I read people with this condition often are low on D vitamins. I asked my doctor to test me and yes, I"m low. I take 4,000 IU and will retest in 4 months.

Comment from: Hadis, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I have vitamin D deficiency. I think it is because of my diet. I am on vegetarian diet and I have a little milk products allergy.

Comment from: Jewels, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

My vitamin D level was diagnosed at a whopping "2". Besides having worked a graveyard shift for 10+ years and living in a region too hot to be outside for the last 5, I was also on the Depo-Provera shot for nearly 10 years prior to be told that it "may result in loss of significant bone mineral density" and that I should have been taking both calcium and vitamin D during this time. I have experienced increased neuropathies from my knees to my feet, hair loss, dark circles on my eyelids, and extreme fatigue. I am glad to know that I am not alone in my general symptoms though.

Comment from: Casey, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 16

I have vitamin D level of 22 and multiple sclerosis. My doctor has me on 50,000 IU vitamin D once a week and 5000 daily. I experience extreme fatigue and chronic recurrence of bacterial vaginosis.

Comment from: ChelleBelle, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 06

I was tired, achy, fizzy brained at times, and my hand would go numb. I just thought I was exhausted from work until my hair started falling out. I thought it could be My thyroid but lo and behold, my Vitamin D was only a 14. Doc put me on 50,000 IU of Vitamin D, once a week, for 8 weeks, then 800 IU a day after that. Also on 600 mg of calcium and 500 mg of B12 everyday. I hope it helps.

Comment from: Carolina, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 26

I had a vitamin d level of 7.4 when tested. Low calcium before that. Symptoms were extreme fatigue, muscle cramps, numbness in hands. Been on 50000 IU of Vitamin D twice a week for 8 weeks. Now on 50,000 every two weeks. Will have follow up in 3 weeks. Took 6 weeks to feel any improvement in energy level. Taking thyroid , BP, and SSRI prior to this. In menopause also. I hope to get some daily sun and continue to take vitamin D supplements. Had no idea before all this how important Vitamin D is to so many other hormones in the body.

Comment from: Jubi, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 26

Possible causes were, I work during the night and sleep in the day. Therefore I have not been spending enough time in the sun.

Comment from: Angela, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

Was shocked to find I had extremely low Vit D levels and that this had allowed a virus to attack my pituitary & pancreatic glands causing a lot of additional problems including Diabetes Insipidus. Being fair skinned I do not sunbathe, but will now have short bursts. Thought I was covered by my Vit D rich diet, but this was clearly not enough. Given all the problems that can be caused by this deficiency, I urge you to get your levels checked if possible.

Vitamin D Deficiency - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with a diagnosis of vitamin D deficiency?
Vitamin D Deficiency - Tests Question: What were your reasons for getting tested for a vitamin D deficiency?
Vitamin D Deficiency - Treatment Question: What is the treatment for your vitamin D deficiency?