Patient Comments: Vitamin D Deficiency - Causes

If known, what were the causes of your vitamin D deficiency?

Comment from: Ladyalchemist, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 15

I'm a registered nurse and work the 2nd shift. I drive 45 minutes to and from work and when I am off I don't feel like doing anything. I found out from my rheumatologist that my vitamin D level was 14. I've been suffering from extreme fatigue, weight gain, and have gotten every respiratory infection that has been passed around the nursing home. Also severe pain in my back and hips with joint stiffness in my knees, elbows, and back. I thought it was all from my ankylosing spondylitis but now I finally understand why I have been feeling the way I have. The lack of sun and my diet were probably the culprits of my vitamin D deficiency, I recently cut a lot of meat out of my diet to aid in losing weight. I just got prescribed treatment, hopefully it will help soon.

Comment from: Karen, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

There is in my family a history of gluten intolerance and many auto-immune diseases. I had always been very healthy and when my health deteriorated an endocrinologist suggested I might also be gluten intolerant without any celiac symptoms. This proved to be the case and once the gluten was removed from my diet and I started supplementation, my vitamin D levels soared. I had read that the prescription vitamin D2 was not effective so have always used D3 only and my levels are maintained at high levels.

Comment from: OophorDoophor, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I went to the doctor a few times because of increasingly heavier periods and spotting in between periods. I was very concerned, I also was very depressed, brain fogged, achy, tired, and had dizzy spells, increased TMJD (temporomandibular joint disorder) pain, and high blood pressure. Everything tested fine (thyroid and AC1, CBC) and I was told that I was just getting to that age. My new gynecologist asked a simple question at the end of my first visit with her, I had just moved to Oregon from Arizona 9 months before and she asked if they checked my vitamin D. It was a 9. I started therapy and all the above symptoms nearly vanished in a few months. My periods were back to normal and TMJD better than it has been in years. Besides moving to a northern cloudy area I think I have digestive issues and am going to see a holistic doctor for them to give me a good look at and see what I can do lifestyle wise. Good luck to you all!

Comment from: Christina, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I have hypothyroidism. I read people with this condition often are low on D vitamins. I asked my doctor to test me and yes, I"m low. I take 4,000 IU and will retest in 4 months.

Comment from: Hadis, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I have vitamin D deficiency. I think it is because of my diet. I am on vegetarian diet and I have a little milk products allergy.

Comment from: Sheri, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 12

I've been chewing nicotine gum for almost 9 years. About 6 weeks ago half of my hair fell out. I googled long term effects of nicotine gum and found a bunch of people who have been losing their hair too. I quit the gum a day later. Hair loss slowed down a lot. I am having cognitive problems too. Guess I need to contact my doctor to check for vitamin D deficiency.

Comment from: lindyloo, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 14

My blood test came back with a vitamin D percentage of 18.7. I get lots of sun but do not take vitamins because of stomach problems. I wonder if there is some other organ that is not working correctly, to account for the low D.

Vitamin D Deficiency - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with a diagnosis of vitamin D deficiency?
Vitamin D Deficiency - Tests Question: What were your reasons for getting tested for a vitamin D deficiency?
Vitamin D Deficiency - Treatment Question: What is the treatment for your vitamin D deficiency?