Patient Comments: Vitamin D Deficiency - Symptoms

What were your symptoms associated with a diagnosis of vitamin D deficiency?

Comment from: Sean Pereira, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 05

I went to see the doctor recently, I have just turned 45, but I thought this problem needed addressing as I had put it off for just over a year. I have been feeling tired all the time, and my general physician sent me for a medical test as such, and various blood tests. I just got the results today, turns out I have a vitamin D deficiency and just simply need to take multivitamins, one a day which I purchased as soon as I walked out of the surgery. Who would have thought that a lack of something the sun provides us with can make me feel tired all the time!

Comment from: February, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 03

For nearly two years, I was diagnosed as anemic and had a blood transfusion. It was later determined by a competent practitioner that I am suffering from a vitamin D deficiency. The classic symptoms are applicable. I was extremely fatigued, and could barely get out of bed in the morning, or put one foot in front of the other. Having this correct diagnosis from this competent practitioner recently could have saved two years of agonizing complications. I was not anemic. I have been advised to take 50,000 mg of vitamin D once per week. Yesterday and today, I took a 5000 mg supplement, and I noticed an immediate change in how I feel. I do not feel like I am going to pass out at any second, nor am I extremely fatigued. I have not taken the 50,000 mg yet, but I am grateful that for the first time in years, I was given an accurate diagnosis instead of a diagnosis.

Comment from: Lilly, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 16

After a career in nursing I have been left with severe arthritis of the spine. Recently the pain became much worse and pain relief didn't seem to help. I became forgetful and scatter-brained and life just seemed difficult. I had a full blood count taken at the hospital as they suspect I have an auto immune disease attacking my liver. It was discovered I was vitamin D deficient and have started treatment. I am unable to sit in the sun as I am very fair and have had two cancerous growths removed from my face. Hoping I am soon on the mend.

Comment from: CoCo, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

Four years ago I stopped eating egg yolks and a number of fats, and carbs to lose weight for my wedding. Two years ago I started experiencing joint pain in my hands, knees and hips. The pain gradually increased in my hips with the inability to lie on either hip. My hips would sometimes swell with tenderness and warmth to the touch. The joint pain was becoming unbearable when achiness joined in. I attended a seminar last summer that described the symptoms of vitamin D deficiency, all of which I was having. I then made an appointment with my doctor and asked him to test me for the vitamin deficiency. There it was, I was chronically deficient. I was on 2 rounds of weekly 50,000 IU totaling 5 months before my vitamin D levels became therapeutic. I have to continue vitamin D therapy the rest of my life because I am African American, had bariatric surgery, have GERD and hypothyroidism.

Comment from: Maven, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I used to be quite active until one morning, I woke up feeling like someone beat me up. I was achy all over. I thought I caught the flu, but that wasn't it. Since that morning, I have been waking up stiff with achy muscles every morning. I had absolutely no energy for the activities I used to enjoy regularly. Walking up the stairs, even moving my extremities became an effort which caused me pain. After a few months of this with no improvement, I became worried that I might have something seriously wrong with me. At first, my doctor couldn't figure out why I was feeling so run down. Finally last week, she ran a whole panel of blood tests on me. I was then diagnosed with severe vitamin D deficiency. My level was 10, which is way too low. She immediately put me on prescription strength vitamin D liquid which I started taking yesterday. It looks like I have to supplement for 2 months or so in order to get my serum vitamin D up to normal serum levels.

Vitamin D Deficiency - Causes Question: If known, what were the causes of your vitamin D deficiency?
Vitamin D Deficiency - Tests Question: What were your reasons for getting tested for a vitamin D deficiency?
Vitamin D Deficiency - Treatment Question: What is the treatment for your vitamin D deficiency?