Patient Comments: Vitamin D Deficiency - Symptoms

What were your symptoms associated with a diagnosis of vitamin D deficiency?

Comment from: Greyhound, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

My symptoms of vitamin D deficiency were tiredness, depression, and gastrointestinal distress. My thyroid was good and the test for coeliac came back clean. The doctor even tested my gall bladder (50% ejection) before deciding to test my vitamin D levels; very low vitamin D. I went on OTC vitamin D – 40 -50000 IU per week. Now I"m down to about 10000 IU per week. I increase the levels when I feel down or my stomach acts up.

Comment from: snowwhyte, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I had muscle and joint pain, numbness and burning in my limbs. I felt tired all the time and gained weight. I had migraines and restless legs. The doctor diagnosed me with a mild vitamin D deficiency. I"d been spending a lot of time in the sun so she didn"t know what caused it. I was told to take 1000 IU a day but after reading online this seemed low so I am taking 50000 a week. I was willing to try anything to help the pain. Four months on it is a bit better but still have numbness and random burning sensations.

Comment from: dog tired, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 17

I had whole body pain! I didn"t even have a trace amount of vitamin D when my tests came back from the lab. I"ve been foggy headed for so long I can"t remember, and thought there may be a problem with my neck. I was diagnosed with carpal tunnel syndrome due to the pain and numbness in my fingers, hands and arms. Standing made my feet feel like someone had a nail gun on them, and the pain in my calves was crippling to the point it took me an age to go up the stairs, on all fours. Pain in my hips meant I had to stop the car after driving for 20 minutes. It woke me in the night, and I can"t even carry the kettle without using my other arm for support underneath. I wake every night with arms so numb that I can"t even move them to bring them back to life. I get pain in literally every inch of my body. I had my hair cut short because I lost so much of it. No pain killers have any effect and I"ve been told I probably won"t notice any improvement for 3 months or so. I have started high dose supplement and am determined for a holiday in the sun. I can"t afford it, but desperate to get better now I finally know what"s wrong.

Comment from: Cpope, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 28

Low vitamin D caused extreme foggy feeling. A feeling of not being real, slurred speech and unresponsiveness to questions, much like a seizure. The doctor put me on 50000 IU twice a week. I'm feeling somewhat better but I was also diagnosed with Epstein Barr syndrome.

Comment from: hopeful, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I was diagnosed with very low vitamin D count of 8. I was foggy headed and had poor concentration, was fatigued after rising, had low energy level, and weight gain and fluctuation. My doctor put me on the standard 50,000 D2 once a week. After reading and researching, I added over the counter D3 of an additional 4,000-5,000 once a day. My last test taken one year later showed I was at 45 (midrange). Now I will reduce my daily to 2,000 iu and see if I maintain. My energy level has returned as is my ability to focus and maintain my concentration. I still wrestle with fatigue and weight.

Comment from: BRIJ SISODIA, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 02

With vitamin D deficiency, I had contraction in my hand after hand practice or sexual intercourse, and I have pain in my left hand palm whole time and pain in my lips and I have lost my hair too. I am not able walk a kilo meter, it was very painful.

Comment from: Dpl, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 21

Because of Vitamin D deficiency, daily afternoon I have muscle aches.

Vitamin D Deficiency - Causes Question: If known, what were the causes of your vitamin D deficiency?
Vitamin D Deficiency - Tests Question: What were your reasons for getting tested for a vitamin D deficiency?
Vitamin D Deficiency - Treatment Question: What is the treatment for your vitamin D deficiency?