Patient Comments: Vitamin D Deficiency - Symptoms

What were your symptoms associated with a diagnosis of vitamin D deficiency?

Comment from: dog tired, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 17

I had whole body pain! I didn"t even have a trace amount of vitamin D when my tests came back from the lab. I"ve been foggy headed for so long I can"t remember, and thought there may be a problem with my neck. I was diagnosed with carpal tunnel syndrome due to the pain and numbness in my fingers, hands and arms. Standing made my feet feel like someone had a nail gun on them, and the pain in my calves was crippling to the point it took me an age to go up the stairs, on all fours. Pain in my hips meant I had to stop the car after driving for 20 minutes. It woke me in the night, and I can"t even carry the kettle without using my other arm for support underneath. I wake every night with arms so numb that I can"t even move them to bring them back to life. I get pain in literally every inch of my body. I had my hair cut short because I lost so much of it. No pain killers have any effect and I"ve been told I probably won"t notice any improvement for 3 months or so. I have started high dose supplement and am determined for a holiday in the sun. I can"t afford it, but desperate to get better now I finally know what"s wrong.

Comment from: Cpope, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 28

Low vitamin D caused extreme foggy feeling. A feeling of not being real, slurred speech and unresponsiveness to questions, much like a seizure. The doctor put me on 50000 IU twice a week. I'm feeling somewhat better but I was also diagnosed with Epstein Barr syndrome.

Comment from: hopeful, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I was diagnosed with very low vitamin D count of 8. I was foggy headed and had poor concentration, was fatigued after rising, had low energy level, and weight gain and fluctuation. My doctor put me on the standard 50,000 D2 once a week. After reading and researching, I added over the counter D3 of an additional 4,000-5,000 once a day. My last test taken one year later showed I was at 45 (midrange). Now I will reduce my daily to 2,000 iu and see if I maintain. My energy level has returned as is my ability to focus and maintain my concentration. I still wrestle with fatigue and weight.

Comment from: gmashirley, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I was recently told I was Vitamin D deficient. I was given a prescription of 50,000 unit capsules to take once a week. I have been very fatigued, my muscles ache all day. It is difficult to concentrate, and I feel anxious. Thank goodness I know have a reason for all this physical drama including hair loss. It's my first week so we will see how things progress.

Comment from: Christine11, 45-54 (Patient) Published: November 14

I'm taking 20 000 units of vitamin D once a week as prescribed. Symptoms were lack of energy and my hip, fingers and knees ache. I seem to have swelling in my hands and feet but I'm hoping that will decrease with time. But I always seem tired and slightly depressed. Hopefully I should feel better within 2 to 3 months.

Comment from: RAMichgirl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I am experiencing severe calf cramping, fogginess and constant fatigue. I live in the North and never get in the sun, it's too cold and not a lot of sun. I called my doctor about Vitamin D deficiency but she won't be in for several days so I"m in a waiting mode.

Comment from: anngeo, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 14

My symptom for vitamin D deficiency was peripheral neuropathy.

Comment from: Bmr, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 02

My symptoms are similar to Nightravyn. I have suffered from extreme hair loss for a couple of years. My scalp is red and inflamed, and I have body aches, weight gain, and foggy memory. I have always had an abundance of hair, but I estimate I have lost more than half. Thyroid issues, hormone levels, lupus, and celiac disease have been ruled out. My vitamin D level is 20, and my doctor has prescribed 10,000 IU per day until further notice. I hope this helps. I would love to hear an update from Nightravyn.

Vitamin D Deficiency - Causes Question: If known, what were the causes of your vitamin D deficiency?
Vitamin D Deficiency - Tests Question: What were your reasons for getting tested for a vitamin D deficiency?
Vitamin D Deficiency - Treatment Question: What is the treatment for your vitamin D deficiency?