Patient Comments: Vitamin D Deficiency - Symptoms

What were your symptoms associated with a diagnosis of vitamin D deficiency?

Comment from: Lilly, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 16

After a career in nursing I have been left with severe arthritis of the spine. Recently the pain became much worse and pain relief didn't seem to help. I became forgetful and scatter-brained and life just seemed difficult. I had a full blood count taken at the hospital as they suspect I have an auto immune disease attacking my liver. It was discovered I was vitamin D deficient and have started treatment. I am unable to sit in the sun as I am very fair and have had two cancerous growths removed from my face. Hoping I am soon on the mend.

Comment from: CoCo, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

Four years ago I stopped eating egg yolks and a number of fats, and carbs to lose weight for my wedding. Two years ago I started experiencing joint pain in my hands, knees and hips. The pain gradually increased in my hips with the inability to lie on either hip. My hips would sometimes swell with tenderness and warmth to the touch. The joint pain was becoming unbearable when achiness joined in. I attended a seminar last summer that described the symptoms of vitamin D deficiency, all of which I was having. I then made an appointment with my doctor and asked him to test me for the vitamin deficiency. There it was, I was chronically deficient. I was on 2 rounds of weekly 50,000 IU totaling 5 months before my vitamin D levels became therapeutic. I have to continue vitamin D therapy the rest of my life because I am African American, had bariatric surgery, have GERD and hypothyroidism.

Comment from: Maven, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I used to be quite active until one morning, I woke up feeling like someone beat me up. I was achy all over. I thought I caught the flu, but that wasn't it. Since that morning, I have been waking up stiff with achy muscles every morning. I had absolutely no energy for the activities I used to enjoy regularly. Walking up the stairs, even moving my extremities became an effort which caused me pain. After a few months of this with no improvement, I became worried that I might have something seriously wrong with me. At first, my doctor couldn't figure out why I was feeling so run down. Finally last week, she ran a whole panel of blood tests on me. I was then diagnosed with severe vitamin D deficiency. My level was 10, which is way too low. She immediately put me on prescription strength vitamin D liquid which I started taking yesterday. It looks like I have to supplement for 2 months or so in order to get my serum vitamin D up to normal serum levels.

Comment from: acemsd, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 19

Over two years I was suffering increasing tiredness, aching muscles and joints. I tried to keep active but each day's work or exercise session ended with me collapsing on the sofa with exhaustion. My husband said that I loved the sofa more than him! Sometimes I cried with frustration: this was not me. I wasn't lazy or depressed really. It felt like I was wearing long gloves of pain from hands to elbows and a heavy hoodie was weighing me down. I blamed the arthritis which was just starting to affect my hands. The symptoms were so vague that doctors I saw didn't pick up on them until I joked to my general physician's practice nurse that I'd slowed down so much that I was being lapped by people on Zimmer frames. She suggested we add vitamin D to my regular blood test, result was, none detectable. After just 3 weeks on high strength vitamin D I felt 10 years younger. I felt better before my summer holidays than I usually feel afterwards! I still have arthritis and still catch colds, get tired at work, etc. But I now have the energy and optimism to deal with things. It might not be the answer for everyone but I'm amazed that something so simple can make such a difference.

Comment from: Christine, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 21

I've had horrible joint pain since my teen years but within the past five years it has gotten extremely bad. It got so bad I couldn't sleep and now my muscles are affected. I have horrible aching everywhere, they are painful to touch and sometimes spasm so hard that they lock. Sometimes I have tingles, shooting nerve pain or the body part goes numb. I've had 5 MRIs, 2 EMGs, x-rays and tons of blood work. Diagnosed with very high systemic inflammation, systemic arthralgia and a severe vitamin D deficiency but otherwise healthy as a horse. I walk 1 hour outside at noon daily, eat fish and raw vegetables and take 5000 IUs daily but I'm barely in the normal range. Frustrating!

Vitamin D Deficiency - Causes Question: If known, what were the causes of your vitamin D deficiency?
Vitamin D Deficiency - Tests Question: What were your reasons for getting tested for a vitamin D deficiency?
Vitamin D Deficiency - Treatment Question: What is the treatment for your vitamin D deficiency?