Patient Comments: Vitamin D Deficiency - Symptoms

What were your symptoms associated with a diagnosis of vitamin D deficiency?

Comment from: red, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 28

My symptoms associated with a diagnosis of vitamin D deficiency were primarily joint and bone pain, since late teens.

Comment from: Porter8682, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 06

I have had nerve symptoms for 2 and a half years. I have chronic pain all over the body and have lost feeling in my left leg below the knee. I feel like I have fire running down my bones and then I get pins and needles that make me feel like I want to take my skin off and scratch underneath. I also get widespread muscle spasms, sometimes they can be so severe they can dislocate my fingers and thumbs and sometimes my knee. I have lost mobility and now walk with two walking sticks. My neurologist sent me for an MRI scan on my brain as I get debilitating migraines and was found to have numerous lesions on the brain. I was tested for multiple sclerosis which came back negative. My memory and speech have also been affected. I was tested for vitamin D deficiency as part of a routine test and was found to have an almost nonexistent level. I was put on 10,000 daily for a month and then dropped down to 10,000 once a week. I haven't seen any improvement in my condition however and am deteriorating fairly fast.

Comment from: D-Ficient, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

I had been experiencing lethargy, then came hip and knee pain, I wanted to just sleep and I found I couldn't concentrate and was feeling a little foggy. After numerous blood tests, all of which came back in normal range, severe deficiency of vitamin D was the culprit. I take 10,000 per day and use a liquid form as I do vitamins. The vitamins are absorbed faster into the bloodstream as it bypasses the gut for absorption. I've just begun the vitamin D regimen and am hoping I see results in about 4 months. I had no idea how critical this vitamin is to our bodies.

Comment from: anu, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 14

I was having back pain for months together. X-ray and USG scan could not reveal much. Later on through blood test it was noticed that vitamin D was only 10.

Comment from: Jonathon, Male (Patient) Published: July 08

I am affected by weather changes. Sudden highs/sudden lows would leave me feeling like I went through a meat grinder. I have whole body ache, extreme fatigue and brain fog. Often I am very sleepy, sometimes I am mentally/emotionally fine, other times I feel depressed, as if there is pressure on brain. Headaches are always part of the weakness. I am 65 and in excellent health. I am health conscious, a strict vegetarian, no alcohol, no drugs; good wholesome outlook on life. I meditate. This condition has been getting worse over the years. I am outside a lot, but must not be absorbing vitamin D from the Sun. The doctor has put me on 50,000 IU of vitamin D twice a week for next 8 weeks. I googled vitamin D deficiency to get better understanding of the problem.

Comment from: Tim C, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 17

I had been hospitalized 1 year ago with pancreatitis and since found out I had a large gallstone. I have been off work the last 3 months thinking I was experiencing gallstone/pancreatic attacks again but blood tests carried out within the last 6 months are making me think again. It was found after a battery of blood tests that I had high cholesterol for which I am now taking statins, and also high blood pressure for which I am taking blood pressure tablets. However after getting my vitamin D results I was shocked; it barely registered and in UK measurements it was 2.1 mmol/l. My sodium and potassium levels were also high. I have been in almost constant pain for the last 4 months with no end in sight. I cannot sleep well at night and am up at least 3 times to pass urine. All in all I pass clear urine about 14 or 15 times a day. I get breathless after only slight activity and my mood is always quite low and I have nil libido. My concentration is poor as well and I wake up with aches and pains in my muscles and joints. I have to get a gallbladder operation in the future but feel there is more going on here than meets the eye. I have to see an endocrinologist in a week's time and hope they have clearer answers for me. I have to bring a urine sample. Other scans done about 3 months ago showed cysts on my liver and kidneys and nodules on my adrenal glands. I really hope I am not palmed off. I do take vitamin D supplements which help only marginally, I really want to understand why I am so vitamin D deficient and if it has anything to do with my current malaise.

Vitamin D Deficiency - Causes Question: If known, what were the causes of your vitamin D deficiency?
Vitamin D Deficiency - Tests Question: What were your reasons for getting tested for a vitamin D deficiency?
Vitamin D Deficiency - Treatment Question: What is the treatment for your vitamin D deficiency?