Patient Comments: Vitamin D Deficiency - Symptoms

What were your symptoms associated with a diagnosis of vitamin D deficiency?

Comment from: Christine, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 21

I've had horrible joint pain since my teen years but within the past five years it has gotten extremely bad. It got so bad I couldn't sleep and now my muscles are affected. I have horrible aching everywhere, they are painful to touch and sometimes spasm so hard that they lock. Sometimes I have tingles, shooting nerve pain or the body part goes numb. I've had 5 MRIs, 2 EMGs, x-rays and tons of blood work. Diagnosed with very high systemic inflammation, systemic arthralgia and a severe vitamin D deficiency but otherwise healthy as a horse. I walk 1 hour outside at noon daily, eat fish and raw vegetables and take 5000 IUs daily but I'm barely in the normal range. Frustrating!

Comment from: red, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 28

My symptoms associated with a diagnosis of vitamin D deficiency were primarily joint and bone pain, since late teens.

Comment from: Porter8682, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 06

I have had nerve symptoms for 2 and a half years. I have chronic pain all over the body and have lost feeling in my left leg below the knee. I feel like I have fire running down my bones and then I get pins and needles that make me feel like I want to take my skin off and scratch underneath. I also get widespread muscle spasms, sometimes they can be so severe they can dislocate my fingers and thumbs and sometimes my knee. I have lost mobility and now walk with two walking sticks. My neurologist sent me for an MRI scan on my brain as I get debilitating migraines and was found to have numerous lesions on the brain. I was tested for multiple sclerosis which came back negative. My memory and speech have also been affected. I was tested for vitamin D deficiency as part of a routine test and was found to have an almost nonexistent level. I was put on 10,000 daily for a month and then dropped down to 10,000 once a week. I haven't seen any improvement in my condition however and am deteriorating fairly fast.

Comment from: D-Ficient, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

I had been experiencing lethargy, then came hip and knee pain, I wanted to just sleep and I found I couldn't concentrate and was feeling a little foggy. After numerous blood tests, all of which came back in normal range, severe deficiency of vitamin D was the culprit. I take 10,000 per day and use a liquid form as I do vitamins. The vitamins are absorbed faster into the bloodstream as it bypasses the gut for absorption. I've just begun the vitamin D regimen and am hoping I see results in about 4 months. I had no idea how critical this vitamin is to our bodies.

Comment from: anu, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 14

I was having back pain for months together. X-ray and USG scan could not reveal much. Later on through blood test it was noticed that vitamin D was only 10.

Comment from: Jonathon, Male (Patient) Published: July 08

I am affected by weather changes. Sudden highs/sudden lows would leave me feeling like I went through a meat grinder. I have whole body ache, extreme fatigue and brain fog. Often I am very sleepy, sometimes I am mentally/emotionally fine, other times I feel depressed, as if there is pressure on brain. Headaches are always part of the weakness. I am 65 and in excellent health. I am health conscious, a strict vegetarian, no alcohol, no drugs; good wholesome outlook on life. I meditate. This condition has been getting worse over the years. I am outside a lot, but must not be absorbing vitamin D from the Sun. The doctor has put me on 50,000 IU of vitamin D twice a week for next 8 weeks. I googled vitamin D deficiency to get better understanding of the problem.

Vitamin D Deficiency - Causes Question: If known, what were the causes of your vitamin D deficiency?
Vitamin D Deficiency - Tests Question: What were your reasons for getting tested for a vitamin D deficiency?
Vitamin D Deficiency - Treatment Question: What is the treatment for your vitamin D deficiency?