Patient Comments: Vitamin D Deficiency - Symptoms

What were your symptoms associated with a diagnosis of vitamin D deficiency?

Comment from: Jonathon, Male (Patient) Published: July 08

I am affected by weather changes. Sudden highs/sudden lows would leave me feeling like I went through a meat grinder. I have whole body ache, extreme fatigue and brain fog. Often I am very sleepy, sometimes I am mentally/emotionally fine, other times I feel depressed, as if there is pressure on brain. Headaches are always part of the weakness. I am 65 and in excellent health. I am health conscious, a strict vegetarian, no alcohol, no drugs; good wholesome outlook on life. I meditate. This condition has been getting worse over the years. I am outside a lot, but must not be absorbing vitamin D from the Sun. The doctor has put me on 50,000 IU of vitamin D twice a week for next 8 weeks. I googled vitamin D deficiency to get better understanding of the problem.

Comment from: Tim C, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 17

I had been hospitalized 1 year ago with pancreatitis and since found out I had a large gallstone. I have been off work the last 3 months thinking I was experiencing gallstone/pancreatic attacks again but blood tests carried out within the last 6 months are making me think again. It was found after a battery of blood tests that I had high cholesterol for which I am now taking statins, and also high blood pressure for which I am taking blood pressure tablets. However after getting my vitamin D results I was shocked; it barely registered and in UK measurements it was 2.1 mmol/l. My sodium and potassium levels were also high. I have been in almost constant pain for the last 4 months with no end in sight. I cannot sleep well at night and am up at least 3 times to pass urine. All in all I pass clear urine about 14 or 15 times a day. I get breathless after only slight activity and my mood is always quite low and I have nil libido. My concentration is poor as well and I wake up with aches and pains in my muscles and joints. I have to get a gallbladder operation in the future but feel there is more going on here than meets the eye. I have to see an endocrinologist in a week's time and hope they have clearer answers for me. I have to bring a urine sample. Other scans done about 3 months ago showed cysts on my liver and kidneys and nodules on my adrenal glands. I really hope I am not palmed off. I do take vitamin D supplements which help only marginally, I really want to understand why I am so vitamin D deficient and if it has anything to do with my current malaise.

Comment from: BDatz, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 30

I had severe hip and upper leg pain. My vitamin D level was 8.

Comment from: KP, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

I have been dealing with bad fatigue for a while now and feel like it has gradually been getting worse. Some days I can sleep 9 plus hours and still wake up feeling tired all day. Up to this point I feel all my symptoms have very closely matched those of iron-deficiency anemia (fatigue, headaches, muscle aches, weakness, trouble concentrating, easily cold, etc.) and though they said my iron was slightly low I was not anemic. My vitamin D levels were also very low (8) so here we are for now trying the vitamin D supplements to see if they help.

Comment from: the perfect storm, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 10

My vitamin D was critically low at 4. My symptoms are fatigue, depression, and severe stomach pains, among other things. I was prescribed 50,000 IU a week, and started today. Hopefully something works soon, tired of feeling this way.

Comment from: Sunshinegurl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 05

I felt depressed (typically suffer from seasonal affective disorder (SAD), but moved back to Florida and the weather was not that bad). I couldn't concentrate, felt foggy, couldn't remember words to express myself eloquently, and gained 20 plus lb. The scale wouldn't budge after diet and exercise. I did CBC, CMP, lipids, TSH, T4, B12, folate, vitamin D and Hemoglobin A1c. The only thing that came back abnormal was HDL 42 and vitamin D 27. I'd started self-treating with about 5000 IU daily a few weeks prior to testing.

Vitamin D Deficiency - Causes Question: If known, what were the causes of your vitamin D deficiency?
Vitamin D Deficiency - Tests Question: What were your reasons for getting tested for a vitamin D deficiency?
Vitamin D Deficiency - Treatment Question: What is the treatment for your vitamin D deficiency?