Patient Comments: Vitamin D Deficiency - Symptoms

What were your symptoms associated with a diagnosis of vitamin D deficiency?

Comment from: nd my healthback BGK, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I had a lot of tiredness and severe pain (knee and lower back). I was not able to sit for long, and not able to walk. Then my health got worse. I had severe body pain. A to Z had many medical checkups. For almost 5years, I did not get proper diagnosis. Finally, I came to know the reason was vitamin D deficiency (only6.25). I took vitamin D chewing tablets, 60000 IU for 3 months. I am 35% better. Now am taking calcium, 1000 IU. Now, I am better, but still suffering with pain! It seems it will take some more days to get rid of this!

Comment from: gmashirley, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I was recently told I was Vitamin D deficient. I was given a prescription of 50,000 unit capsules to take once a week. I have been very fatigued, my muscles ache all day. It is difficult to concentrate, and I feel anxious. Thank goodness I know have a reason for all this physical drama including hair loss. It's my first week so we will see how things progress.

Comment from: Christine11, 45-54 (Patient) Published: November 14

I'm taking 20 000 units of vitamin D once a week as prescribed. Symptoms were lack of energy and my hip, fingers and knees ache. I seem to have swelling in my hands and feet but I'm hoping that will decrease with time. But I always seem tired and slightly depressed. Hopefully I should feel better within 2 to 3 months.

Comment from: RAMichgirl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I am experiencing severe calf cramping, fogginess and constant fatigue. I live in the North and never get in the sun, it's too cold and not a lot of sun. I called my doctor about Vitamin D deficiency but she won't be in for several days so I"m in a waiting mode.

Comment from: Bmr, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 02

My symptoms are similar to Nightravyn. I have suffered from extreme hair loss for a couple of years. My scalp is red and inflamed, and I have body aches, weight gain, and foggy memory. I have always had an abundance of hair, but I estimate I have lost more than half. Thyroid issues, hormone levels, lupus, and celiac disease have been ruled out. My vitamin D level is 20, and my doctor has prescribed 10,000 IU per day until further notice. I hope this helps. I would love to hear an update from Nightravyn.

Comment from: anngeo, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 14

My symptom for vitamin D deficiency was peripheral neuropathy.

Comment from: Sushila, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I suffered from pain in calf muscles. This condition was corrected by taking vitamin D supplements.

Comment from: Mzmaxi, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 06

I would fall asleep anywhere, yawning a million times away no matter how much sleep I got still tired. Started me with 50,000 ui of vitamin D a week now doubled that. I think it's working but scared of other things happening from to much vitamin D.

Comment from: Sonny Girl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 30

I did not have any symptoms at the time of my diagnosis. Previously I had been diagnosed with schizophrenia paranoia and depression. I had symptoms of fatigue and insomnia. I tried inpatient mental health programs that kept me balanced and on track. I also tried changing my diet and exercise. It allowed me to focus on the importance of nutrition and healthy eating habits. After my diagnosis,I take a daily vitamin plus a vitamin d supplement.

Vitamin D Deficiency - Causes Question: If known, what were the causes of your vitamin D deficiency?
Vitamin D Deficiency - Tests Question: What were your reasons for getting tested for a vitamin D deficiency?
Vitamin D Deficiency - Treatment Question: What is the treatment for your vitamin D deficiency?