Patient Comments: Vitamin D Deficiency - Symptoms

What were your symptoms associated with a diagnosis of vitamin D deficiency?

Comment from: BDatz, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 30

I had severe hip and upper leg pain. My vitamin D level was 8.

Comment from: KP, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

I have been dealing with bad fatigue for a while now and feel like it has gradually been getting worse. Some days I can sleep 9 plus hours and still wake up feeling tired all day. Up to this point I feel all my symptoms have very closely matched those of iron-deficiency anemia (fatigue, headaches, muscle aches, weakness, trouble concentrating, easily cold, etc.) and though they said my iron was slightly low I was not anemic. My vitamin D levels were also very low (8) so here we are for now trying the vitamin D supplements to see if they help.

Comment from: the perfect storm, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 10

My vitamin D was critically low at 4. My symptoms are fatigue, depression, and severe stomach pains, among other things. I was prescribed 50,000 IU a week, and started today. Hopefully something works soon, tired of feeling this way.

Comment from: Sunshinegurl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 05

I felt depressed (typically suffer from seasonal affective disorder (SAD), but moved back to Florida and the weather was not that bad). I couldn't concentrate, felt foggy, couldn't remember words to express myself eloquently, and gained 20 plus lb. The scale wouldn't budge after diet and exercise. I did CBC, CMP, lipids, TSH, T4, B12, folate, vitamin D and Hemoglobin A1c. The only thing that came back abnormal was HDL 42 and vitamin D 27. I'd started self-treating with about 5000 IU daily a few weeks prior to testing.

Comment from: nancynurse, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

I had recent thyroidectomy (nontoxic goiter) and then gallbladder removal. My muscle pain was widespread, had no energy, fatigue and was depressed. I asked for some bloodwork and discovered subclinical deficiency of vitamin D. Norms are 30 to 1000, I had a mere 8. I was given 50,000 units for 13 weeks, followed by 2000 units per day after that. I started treatment today; I wonder how long it may take to get to more normal levels.

Comment from: Melissa, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

I have had wide spread pain and blurred vision for months now, I just couldn't understand, I couldn't even lift my 6 moth old grandson. I was afraid to tell anyone how much I hurt for fear they would think I was exaggerating. My blood work came back today and my vitamin D number was 6! I am glad to have an answer but I am sad to hear it will take months to recover. I guess I should consider myself fortunate.

Comment from: Sandycat, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 02

I had severe bronchitis 3 times in 4 months. I had a vitamin D test and was at level 2. I had 50,000 per week for 3 months, now take 4,000 daily. I didn't realize that other symptoms also stopped, hair is not falling out, teeth no longer ache, joints not aching, not foggy and not falling asleep all the time, plus fingernails are long and strong, didn't realize all this until the vitamin D fixed the problems! Yeah!

Comment from: Deprived of sunshine, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 03

I have been working in an office environment, where for the past nine years I have virtually not seen any daylight or sunshine. Our offices are located in what was once a warehouse, although most managers sit in offices which are located on the front of the building and so they have windows. I had my fist bone scan done 10 years ago, and was told that I had no issues whatsoever. My bone density was great, five year later I had another bone scan and was told my bone density was okay but I had to start a Vitamin D intake of a daily 20000 IU of vitamin D from foodborne sources and not a citric base. This past month I had a follow up bone scan and was informed that I had significant loss of bone mass, since my last scan. In the meantime I have done some research on my own and have learned that working without a window in a dark office, lit by only artificial lighting was devastating for my health. I have noticed that I feel as if I live in a fog and I am always tired although I go to bed early. I have sleep problems, I have ache in areas of my body I have never felt before, I am irritable, nervous and have recently suffered from such severe anxiety attacks that I was rushed to the emergency room, fearing that I was experiencing a heart attack. I am interested in hearing what my next step should be. My doctor has not suggested any treatment other than to step up vitamin D intake with vitamin K and supplement with fish oil. I wonder if my job which is keeping me locked up in the dark, eight and more hours every day, without a ray of sunshine, or knowledge of the weather condition outside, possibly could be the root cause of my bone loss, my migraine headaches, loss of 44 lb. of weight over the last six months, pain that causes me to feel weak, and depressed and panic attacks and possibly the reason for my feeling so horrible.

Vitamin D Deficiency - Causes Question: If known, what were the causes of your vitamin D deficiency?
Vitamin D Deficiency - Tests Question: What were your reasons for getting tested for a vitamin D deficiency?
Vitamin D Deficiency - Treatment Question: What is the treatment for your vitamin D deficiency?