- Take the Tummy Trouble Quiz
- Digestive Disease Myths Slideshow Pictures
- Ulcerative Colitis Slideshow
- Patient Comments: Virtual Colonoscopy - Patient Experience
Quick GuideMen's Health Pictures Slideshow: Essential Screening Tests Every Man Needs
My personal approach to recommending virtual versus optical colonoscopies
- In healthy patients who want all the polyps (including ones smaller than 5mm) to be removed, I recommend optical colonoscopy
- In patients who do not want to undergo optical colonoscopy and are willing to accept the possibility of leaving small polyps untreated, virtual colonoscopy is an alternative to optical colonoscopy.
- In unhealthy patients with advanced heart, lung, liver, or kidney diseases, virtual colonoscopy may be a safer and less invasive alternative to optical colonoscopy.
New England Journal of Medicine, October 2007
Medically reviewed by Martin E Zipser, MD; American Board of Surgery
"Computed tomographic colonography"