- What is Viekira Pak, and how does it work (mechanism of action)?
- What brand names are available for Viekira Pak?
- Is Viekira Pak available as a generic drug?
- Do I need a prescription for Viekira Pak?
- What are the side effects of Viekira Pak?
- What is the dosage for Viekira Pak?
- Which drugs or supplements interact with Viekira Pak?
- Is Viekira Pak safe to take if I'm pregnant or breastfeeding?
- What else should I know about Viekira Pak?
What is Viekira Pak, and how does it work (mechanism of action)?
Viekira Pak is a combination of drugs used to treat patients with hepatitis C virus (HCV) genotype 1. It contains four medicines, dasabuvir, ombitasvir, paritaprevir, and ritonavir. Viekira Pak belongs to a class of drugs called direct-acting antiviral agents. Similar drugs include
- boceprevir (Victrelis),
- sofosbuvir (Sovaldi),
- simeprevir (Olysio),
- telaprevir (Incivek), and
- ombitasvir, paritaprevir, ritonavir (Technivie).
Dasabuvir, ombitasvir, and paritaprevir are antivirals that work in three different ways to help stop HCV from multiplying. They block the effect of proteases which are enzymes that HCV uses for making new virus, leading to reduced numbers of HCV copies in the body. Ombitasvir blocks HCV NS5A protease while paritaprevir blocks HCV NS3/4A protease. Dasabuvir blocks a viral structure called NS5B palm polymerase which is also needed for replication of HCV. Ritonavir is not active against the HCV virus. It is used to increase blood levels of paritaprevir by inhibiting the breakdown of paritaprevir.
In clinical studies Viekira Pak, with or without ribavirin (Rebetol) HCV was cured in 95% to 100% of patients treated. Cure was defined as undetectable levels of HCV in the blood 3 months after treatment. The FDA approved Viekira Pak in December 2014.
What brand names are available for Viekira Pak?
Is Viekira Pak available as a generic drug?
GENERIC AVAILABLE: No
Do I need a prescription for Viekira Pak?
What are the side effects of Viekira Pak?
The most common side effects of Viekira Pak when used with ribavirin include
- skin reactions such as redness or rash,
- sleep problems (insomnia), and
- feeling weak.
The most common side effects of Viekira Pak when used without ribavirin include
- itching, and
- problems sleeping.
Other side effects include
Quick GuideHepatitis C (Hep C) Symptoms and Treatment
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Need help identifying pills and medications?
Use the pill identifier tool on RxList.