Patient Comments: Vertigo - Treatments

What was the treatment for your vertigo?

Comment from: MA-vertigo, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 10

I have had Vertigo several times over the past 20 years. each time it was due to an inner ear issue - blockage due to allergies. I have found that dunking my head underwater or swimming can help to keep the symptoms at bay. When it does occur I usually use a small "squished" or "baster" to rinse out the ear canal. If symptoms persist I do use valium, prescribed by my doctor. This helps to minimize or eliminate the issue. However, I do continue to feel slightly dizzy for several days, which seems more psychological - anticipating the symptom. Most often I wake in the middle of the night very dizzy, needing to grab the bed frame and hold on!

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 11

I have vertigo. It started about 7 months ago. Went to family doctor He gave me pills thought it was a virus. Things were moving and I was dizzy. That didn't help. I saw an ear nose throat doc they found nothing. I saw a neurologist found nothing. Had an MRI and scat can found nothing. Did some physical therapy did not help. I have vertigo 24-7. It does not go away. I wear a patch behind my ear to stop some of the movement. It used to do me good now it barley works. I still wear one it seems to help more than not. Everything moves all day long and the floor moves also. Well to me this does. I need help and don't know what else to do!

Comment from: shinglesfree, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 26

I was diagnosed with shingles three weeks ago. I woke up in the middle of the night with the room spinning, vomiting, and headache. I went to the emergency room. I was admitted and stayed in the hospital four days. I was treated with steroids and anti-viral and of course antivert. I eventually was able to stand, and then walk. I went back to work after two weeks. My doctor suspects some nerve damage. I still have dizzy spells a few times a day. When the room starts spinning, I focus on an area and open my eyes wide. I learned from the doctor to never shut my eyes. I am careful to move my head slowly and if I turn in the bed to turn very slowly. I should start physical therapy next week. By the way, I did not get one bump, spot, and blister from the shingles. It stayed in the cerebral nerves.

Vertigo - Symptoms Question: Do you experience nausea, vomiting, or other symptoms with your vertigo?
Vertigo - Causes Question: Do you know what causes or brings on your vertigo?
Vertigo - Treatment Question: What kind of treatment have you had for your vertigo? Did it help?
Vertigo - Exercises Question: Have you tried vestibular rehabilitation exercises (Cawthorne head exercises or the Epley maneuver) for your vertigo? Did they help?