Patient Comments: Vertigo - Treatment

What kind of treatment have you had for your vertigo? Did it help?

A Doctor's View on Vertigo Treatment

Read the Comment by Charles Patrick Davis, MD, PhD

Vertigo treatment depends on the underlying cause of vertigo. Many cases of vertigo require no treatment. Other cases of vertigo may require treatment with medication, physical therapy, or other intervention. Blood tests and CT and MRI scans may be necessary to determine the underlying cause of vertigo so that the appropriate treatment can be prescribed. Read the entire Doctor's View

Comment from: Nomorevertigo, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

I had chronic vertigo 4 years ago. It was so bad that I couldn't walk properly. I went and saw an acupuncturist and over a few months he was able to eradicate it. Every now and then I find it creeping back mildly, so he treats it accordingly. Please, before drugs or anything else - go and see a good acupuncturist.

Comment from: susieq, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

The 1st time I had vertigo it was early morning and I was still sleeping. It woke me up. My eyes were closed but I had that awful spinning sensation. When it stopped spinning I ran to the bathroom to vomit. I remember I had to wrap my arms around the toilet since I felt like I was being pulled away from it. I didn't know what it was since I never had it so I stayed in bed for a week just crawling to the restroom and kept a bucket by my bed to vomit. When I was okay enough to go to the doctor they gave me Activert but by that time I didn't need it. It happened again a few month later and when I took the Activert it was gone the next day. I noticed that when I bent my head to the right everything would spin. Over the next ten years I had 2 more episodes and this time it was my left side. Now 10 years later it came back and I have had it for 2 weeks. The Activert doesn't help and I was given exercises to do that didn't help. This time it's when I look up or down that triggers it. The doctor gave me 5 mg of Valium to try and so far that's not helping. MRI showed nothing so I'm just going to wait it out and hope it goes away.

Comment from: Gverhey, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

I have vertigo for weeks on end. It started in 2011 when I had a stroke that affected my cerebellum. The neurologist has prescribed topiramate 400 mg and Valium 10 mg a day, it went away for 3 weeks, but I went off a medicine I was on for depression, and the vertigo went away for 8 months. It's back now 7 days straight, I recently found out I have ovarian cancer, had blood clot in leg and lung, I have to get this vertigo cleared up, I have to have surgery soon.

Comment from: 45-54 Female Published: August 11

I take Ativan, which knocks me out for the day, but stops the episode. My vertigo is neurological, so none of the treatments discussed are relevant. I've had a few ignorant doctors grab my head to perform the Eply Maneuver, ignoring my pleas to stop. In the 13 years I've suffered, I've only met one other person with this form of vertigo.

Comment from: mark, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 27

I had over the counter treatments for vertigo.

Comment from: A. E., 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 18

Vertigo always was positive (in the past) when I was drinking a lot of alcohol in one night. Vertigo increases if I open my eyes. It is a very bad symptom. I found that it diminishes 70 % if I make an induced vomiting. Before sleep I drink a lot of water (about 1000 cc) to avoid the bad headache (2nd symptom of drinking alcohol) next morning. Thankfully I stopped drinking alcohol at 40 years of age.

Comment from: roost, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 09

I had a stroke a few years ago, due to a blocked artery in my neck, in which a piece broke away travailing to my eye, this stopped the blood flow to the eye which resulted in total blindness in my left eye in 3 days, since then i am sure i am suffering from vertigo, i know i have lost my depth perception as well.

Vertigo - Symptoms Question: Do you experience nausea, vomiting, or other symptoms with your vertigo?
Vertigo - Causes Question: Do you know what causes or brings on your vertigo?
Vertigo - Exercises Question: Have you tried vestibular rehabilitation exercises (Cawthorne head exercises or the Epley maneuver) for your vertigo? Did they help?