Patient Comments: Vertigo - Treatment

What kind of treatment have you had for your vertigo? Did it help?

A Doctor's View on Vertigo Treatment

Read the Comment by Charles Patrick Davis, MD, PhD

Vertigo treatment depends on the underlying cause of vertigo. Many cases of vertigo require no treatment. Other cases of vertigo may require treatment with medication, physical therapy, or other intervention. Blood tests and CT and MRI scans may be necessary to determine the underlying cause of vertigo so that the appropriate treatment can be prescribed. Read the entire Doctor's View

Comment from: Shay_1, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 22

My torticollis journey started about 6 years ago. I didn't know what was going on with my neck. All I knew was that it wanted to turn and it was difficult to keep it straight. Well, this was also the beginning to an issue with anxiety. I was so anxious at work that this was happening, I left work and went straight to urgent care. I was given a prescription for Ativan. So now I am dealing with anxiety and neck pain. It took a little over a year to get correctly diagnosed but in that time I was given different pain/anxiety medications. I was also now dealing with depression as my activity level greatly decreased and I gained about 40 lb and basically just tried to get through my work day so I could go home to rest. I was correctly diagnosed when I was sent to the pain specialist to get a cortisone shot. I think it might have been maybe 10 minutes into the doctor visit and he said I don't need cortisone, I need Botox, and I finally had an answer. It was bittersweet but I was happy to finally get some relief from the pain. I started Botox injections and went every 3 months with relief until I couldn't afford it anymore. It has been about 1 1/2 years since my last injection. I'm feeling like I may need to go see the pain doctor soon as my neck is starting to feel tight and I've had some headaches. I can relate to a lot of you out there that are suffering from torticollis.

Comment from: Mary, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 07

I have had vertigo on and off over a number of years. Sometimes it is so bad, I just can't move; I can only sit there and cry and moan. The one thing I have found that helps me is ear candling. You can buy small ear candles at the chemist and do it yourself. There are other large candles that ear candling professionals use. I did the one day course that allows me to buy the large ear candles. They work by gently extracting the wax in your ears and in the process, shift the irritation off your inner ear. It is the same theory as the maneuvers but much more gentle.

Comment from: Nomorevertigo, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

I had chronic vertigo 4 years ago. It was so bad that I couldn't walk properly. I went and saw an acupuncturist and over a few months he was able to eradicate it. Every now and then I find it creeping back mildly, so he treats it accordingly. Please, before drugs or anything else - go and see a good acupuncturist.

Comment from: susieq, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

The 1st time I had vertigo it was early morning and I was still sleeping. It woke me up. My eyes were closed but I had that awful spinning sensation. When it stopped spinning I ran to the bathroom to vomit. I remember I had to wrap my arms around the toilet since I felt like I was being pulled away from it. I didn't know what it was since I never had it so I stayed in bed for a week just crawling to the restroom and kept a bucket by my bed to vomit. When I was okay enough to go to the doctor they gave me Activert but by that time I didn't need it. It happened again a few month later and when I took the Activert it was gone the next day. I noticed that when I bent my head to the right everything would spin. Over the next ten years I had 2 more episodes and this time it was my left side. Now 10 years later it came back and I have had it for 2 weeks. The Activert doesn't help and I was given exercises to do that didn't help. This time it's when I look up or down that triggers it. The doctor gave me 5 mg of Valium to try and so far that's not helping. MRI showed nothing so I'm just going to wait it out and hope it goes away.

Comment from: me, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

The doctors asked me to drink fluid and take pain killers if needed, for my vertigo.

Comment from: BryanH., 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 19

I had vertigo really bad and heard it was a crystal in the ear canal causing it and to do the exercises which did nothing but make me sick. I figured that there is a way to dislodge it better and fast. I leaned my head to one side then using the palm of my hand, I smacked my head a couple times. Then leaned to the other side and back and front doing the same thing. I used a fairly good thump. It was just before bed but noticed instantly that it did something. I woke up the next day and had no vertigo at all. It has been a month now and it still has not returned. I did this once before but only did one side and not as hard and it worked but not as good. It came back a day later when I rolled over onto the side I was having the problem with. The second time I was a lot more aggressive with the treatment and am happy. It dislodged the crystal or whatever it was.

Vertigo - Symptoms Question: Do you experience nausea, vomiting, or other symptoms with your vertigo?
Vertigo - Causes Question: Do you know what causes or brings on your vertigo?
Vertigo - Exercises Question: Have you tried vestibular rehabilitation exercises (Cawthorne head exercises or the Epley maneuver) for your vertigo? Did they help?