Patient Comments: Vertigo - Causes

Do you know what causes or brings on your vertigo?

A Doctor's View on Vertigo Causes

Read the Comment by Charles Patrick Davis, MD, PhD

Vertigo causes range from mild to very serious. Many cases of vertigo arise from disorders of the brain or inner ear. Vertigo causes include benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV), Meniere's disease, labyrinthitis, vestibular neuritis, and migraines. More serious causes of vertigo include low blood pressure, brain tumors, bleeding into the brain, and loss of blood to the brain. Read the entire Doctor's View

Comment from: AceRockol, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 26

I had vertigo off and on for 7 weeks, always when I lay down on my right side in bed. I went to an ENT doctor, and he said it's either the crystals, or my neck. I have degenerative disk disease in a couple of neck vertebrae, as well as scoliosis. I'm really hoping it's the crystals and not my neck. Getting old is painful.

Comment from: carol d, Female (Patient) Published: January 22

I started have vertigo attacks about 2 years ago. I blamed it on a recent surgery for removal of part of my lung. The first one was strong, it pushed me to the floor. The rest of them were slight and manageable. I had another one today; a bad one. I held on to the table near to me, unable to walk for several minutes. Also, my face felt like a severe blush, a feeling of heat going through my whole body. Two hours later, I still feel unsteady. I am totally recovered from my surgery and don't know why this is happening.

Comment from: jay, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 10

I have vertigo, my mother and her father had it. In all of our cases, it starts around age 35. Episodes always begin while lying down, you roll over and find yourself (or the room) spinning out of control. It lasts from hours to weeks, depending on the severity of the initial episode. I have found sleeping with my head raised prevents it. Lying flat seems to cause it by allowing the rocks in your head to fall out of place. Prevention is to learn to sleep at an inclined angle, especially during an attack. Recliners that you can sleep in are great. Rules during an attack; don't look up, don't look down, no sudden head movement, and don't bend over.

Comment from: lbloom, (Patient) Published: October 31

Recently, while crossing a long high bridge on my bicycle I developed vertigo. I made it across the bridge but on my return trip I had to walk my bicycle. I have not experienced symptoms of vertigo at any other time.

Comment from: Forrie, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 16

It would seem that the new pain medication Zohydro is what has caused my vertigo. My doctor gave me Meclizine and Undivert. And that was taken it away. I am also under stress, but we went of Zohydro for a month, went back on for a week and that must be it.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

I have been fighting with vertigo for 2 months, and it is horrible. My ENT doctor keeps sending me around the world with different treatment and medicines and I still have dizziness really bad every single day.

Comment from: LIB, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I have had vertigo now for four year and also Meniere's. I work in aged care and am studying. Only recently I have felt worse with vertigo, the ringing in my ears drives me insane. The buzzers at work only worsen the ringing. I find it hard to sleep and stay asleep, and to exercise as I get dizzy just doing the normal exercise. I am gaining weight I so don't like how I feel. One doctor has suggested manually making me deaf in one ear but that terrifies me. I feel it is going to interfere with my work life, family and social life. It is four years and I am still not handling it very well.

Comment from: Mel, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I"m 30 years old and have been looking for answers to my vertigo for five years now. I"m at the point of depression and fatigue. Along with vertigo I also wake with numbness in my arms and I cannot use my hands due to weakness for a while. I have migraines, nausea, vomiting, ringing in ears to loss of hearing, blurred vision and a constant balance issue. The doctor and neurologist keep sending me on a roundabout of tests that always offer different answers. It"s severely affecting my life.

Vertigo - Symptoms Question: Do you experience nausea, vomiting, or other symptoms with your vertigo?
Vertigo - Treatment Question: What kind of treatment have you had for your vertigo? Did it help?
Vertigo - Exercises Question: Have you tried vestibular rehabilitation exercises (Cawthorne head exercises or the Epley maneuver) for your vertigo? Did they help?