Patient Comments: Vertigo - Causes

Do you know what causes or brings on your vertigo?

A Doctor's View on Vertigo Causes

Read the Comment by Charles Patrick Davis, MD, PhD

Vertigo causes range from mild to very serious. Many cases of vertigo arise from disorders of the brain or inner ear. Vertigo causes include benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV), Meniere's disease, labyrinthitis, vestibular neuritis, and migraines. More serious causes of vertigo include low blood pressure, brain tumors, bleeding into the brain, and loss of blood to the brain. Read the entire Doctor's View

Comment from: Mel, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I"m 30 years old and have been looking for answers to my vertigo for five years now. I"m at the point of depression and fatigue. Along with vertigo I also wake with numbness in my arms and I cannot use my hands due to weakness for a while. I have migraines, nausea, vomiting, ringing in ears to loss of hearing, blurred vision and a constant balance issue. The doctor and neurologist keep sending me on a roundabout of tests that always offer different answers. It"s severely affecting my life.

Comment from: cookie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

I had a concussion from a fall. It has been four weeks, I still have a bump on forehead, an area under my eye is black/blue and I get dizzy. When I want to get up from lying down I must raise myself up in bed slowly and wait until I"m not dizzy, to stand. Also, sometimes just rolling over in bed I will get very dizzy. I was hoping it would go away, however I've decided to call the doctor tomorrow. I really need help.

Comment from: Michael, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 30

I had a two-hour flight, I'm scared of flying. Five days later, I sat at a table in a restaurant and felt a wave of 'static' attacking my brain like a clamp, causing extreme lightheadedness, and so, I hyperventilated badly, requiring hospitalization immediately. I was diagnosed only with hyperventilation. Later, a doctor guessed it was vertigo related to the flight I had had. Then, weeks later, another hospital said it was hyperventilation, even though I was no longer hyperventilating, or if I was, not much so. I read about VVS (Vasovagal Syncope) and figured that although my electrolytes and blood pressure were normal during medical test times, I should increase my blood pressure to iron out any possible VVS attacks I was having. Within two days of adding much salt to my low-salt diet, the almost daily hours of lightheadedness (almost fainting) practically disappeared. I drank plenty of water with the increased salt intake to increase blood volume (without going to extremes of course). I also stopped sighing whenever possible, which eliminated any residual hyperventilation I was doing. Doing okay now, since that time (about a week), fingers crossed. The whole experience has been the worst, most frightening period of my life. But I have learnt not to fear nature's regulatory response of fainting, and that as all my vitals are fine, the chance of my actually dying from another severe attack of lightheadedness is one in a million, if that.

Published: July 09

My husband acquired an outer ear infection two years ago. At the hospital, he was treated for a bacterial infection. Three days later, he suffered facial paralysis and severe pain in his ear and right side of his head. After being admitted to the hospital, it was discovered he had shingles and the virus had spread to his brain. He underwent six months of therapy for his accompanying dizziness and vestibular problems. Now two years later, he is still dizzy and has numerous balance problems. He cannot drive or perform normal activities. He only gets relief when he lies down; so much of his life is spent in bed. If he had been given Valtrex the first day he went to the hospital, he may not be as bad as he is. The doctor says that the nerve from the inner ear to the brain is damaged, as well as two facial nerves. He looks like he had a stroke. He must walk with a cane to support himself so he does not fall down. He is taking gabapentin for the pain and meclizine for the dizziness along with an antidepressant. He is soon to start another round of therapy for the dizziness.

Comment from: Sim, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

My vertigo seems to get aggravated with stress and relaxes when hearing music or placing my head between legs.

Comment from: Juls, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 09

About 5 weeks ago I banged my head quite bad, I went into hospital had scans done all fine,but since I can't lay on my right side without going dizzy and when I roll over in bed I feel as if I'm gonna fall off the bed. Getting up fast also makes me dizzy.

Vertigo - Symptoms Question: Do you experience nausea, vomiting, or other symptoms with your vertigo?
Vertigo - Treatment Question: What kind of treatment have you had for your vertigo? Did it help?
Vertigo - Exercises Question: Have you tried vestibular rehabilitation exercises (Cawthorne head exercises or the Epley maneuver) for your vertigo? Did they help?