- Healthy Eating Slideshow: Fat-Fighting Foods
- Food Frauds Slideshow Pictures
- Take the Diet & Nutrition Quiz
- Introduction to vegetarian and vegan diets
- What types of vegetarian diets are there?
- What are the potential dangers from consuming the various kinds of vegetarian and vegan diets?
- Omega-3 fatty acids
- Vitamin B12
- Vitamin D
- What are the benefits of the various kinds of vegetarian and vegan diets?
- How do I develop a vegetarian or vegan diet plan for myself?
- What are sources for vegetarian and vegan recipes?
- What is included in the vegetarian food pyramid?
- What is included in the vegan food pyramid?
- Where can I get more information on vegetarian and vegan diets during pregnancy?
- Where can I get more information on vegetarian and vegan diets?
Quick GuideVegetarian Diet Pictures Slideshow: Becoming a Vegetarian
Where can I get more information on vegetarian and vegan diets during pregnancy?
Pregnancy and vegan diet:
Where can I get more information on vegetarian and vegan diets?
Books and magazines
125 Gluten-Free Vegetarian Recipes: Quick and Delicious Mouthwatering Dishes for the Healthy Cook by Carol Fenster, PhD. Penguin Publishing, 2011.
Becoming Vegan: The Complete Guide to Adopting a Healthy Plant-Based Diet by Brenda Davis, RD, and Vesanto Melina., MS, RD. Summertown, TN: Book Publishing Company, 2000.
Being Vegetarian for Dummies by Suzanne Havala, MS, RD. Cleveland, OH: IDG Books Worldwide, 2001.
New Becoming Vegetarian: The Essential Guide to a Healthy Vegetarian Diet by Vesanto Melina., MS, RD, and Brenda Davis, RD. Summertown, TN: Book Publishing Company, 2003.
Practically Raw: Flexible Raw Recipes Anyone Can Make by Amber Shea Crawley. Vegan Heritage Press, 2012.
Simply Vegan: Quick Vegetarian Meals, 4th ed. by Debra Wasserman; Nutrition Section by Reed Mangels, PhD, RD. Baltimore, MD: The Vegetarian Resource Group, 2006.
The Happy Herbivore Cookbook: Over 175 Delicious Fat-Free and Low-Fat Vegan Recipes by Lindsay S. Nixon. BenBella Books, 2011.
The Flexitarian Diet: The Mostly Vegetarian Way to Lose Weight, Be Healthier, Prevent Disease, and Add Years to Your Life by Dawn Jackson Blatner, RD, LDN. McGraw-Hill, 2008.
Vegan & Vegetarian FAQ: Answers to Your Frequently Asked Questions by Davida Gypsy Breier; Nutrition Section by Reed Mangels, PhD, RD. Baltimore, MD: The Vegetarian Resource Group, 2001.
Vegetarian Times: http://www.vegetariantimes.com/
Veg News: http://www.vegnews.com/web/home.do
American Vegan Society: http://www.americanvegan.org/
North American Vegetarian Society: http://www.navs-online.org/
Vegan Action: http://www.vegan.org/
Vegan Outreach: http://www.veganoutreach.org/whyvegan/
In a Vegetarian Kitchen: http://vegkitchen.com/
The Vegetarian Resource Group: http://www.vrg.org/
Food and Nutrition Information Center: http://www.choosemyplate.gov/food-groups/downloads/VegetarianNutritionResourceList.pdf
Medically reviewed by Joseph Palermo, DO; American Osteopathic Board Certified Internal Medicine
Bardone-Cone, A.M. J Acad Nutr Diet 112.8 Aug. 2012: 1247-1252.
Craig, W.J. Nutr Clin Pract 25.6 Dec. 2010: 613-620.
Grant, J.D. Can Fam Physician 58.9 Sept. 2012: 917-919.
McEvoy, C.T. Public Health Nutr 15.12 Dec. 2012: 2287-2294.
Messina, M. J Nutr 140.12 Dec. 2010: 2289S-2295S.
Pawlak, R. Nutr Rev 71.2 Feb. 2013: 110-117.
Plotnikoff, G.A. Minn Med 95.12 Dec. 2012: 36-38.
Tantamango-Bartley, Y. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 22.2 Feb. 2013: 286-294.
Tonstad, S. Diabetes Care 32.5 May 2009: 791-796.