- Healthy Eating Slideshow: Fat-Fighting Foods
- Food Frauds Slideshow Pictures
- Take the Diet & Nutrition Quiz
- Introduction to vegetarian and vegan diets
- What types of vegetarian diets are there?
- What are the potential dangers from consuming the various kinds of vegetarian and vegan diets?
- Omega-3 fatty acids
- Vitamin B12
- Vitamin D
- What are the benefits of the various kinds of vegetarian and vegan diets?
- How do I develop a vegetarian or vegan diet plan for myself?
- What are sources for vegetarian and vegan recipes?
- What is included in the vegetarian food pyramid?
- What is included in the vegan food pyramid?
- Where can I get more information on vegetarian and vegan diets during pregnancy?
- Where can I get more information on vegetarian and vegan diets?
Quick GuideVegetarian Diet Pictures Slideshow: Becoming a Vegetarian
Introduction to vegetarian and vegan diets
To eat meat, or not to eat meat... This is the question on many people's mind. The negative impact of animal foods on health, the damage associated with animal foods and the environment, religious beliefs, and the desire to protect and respect animals are some of the reasons for the increase in the number of people consuming vegetarian diets. Many people express an interest in consuming a vegetarian diet but don't do so because they are unsure of how to do it or are not ready to give up meat. Fortunately, there are options and lots of great resources available to help. The key to making this diet work for you is to understand what nutrients you are missing from the foods that you are not consuming and to learn how to balance your meals without these foods.
What types of vegetarian diets are there?
|Type of vegetarian diet||Foods that you do consume||Foods that are not consumed|
|Vegan||Only plant-based foods||Meat
*Also avoid: leather, fur, silk, wool, soaps, and cosmetics derived from animal product
|Lacto-ovo vegetarian||Plant-based foods
|Flexitarian (semi-vegetarian)||Plant-based foods
Occasionally consume or consume in limited quantity any or all of the following:
|Animals foods consumed in limited quantity and/or frequency|