Patient Comments: Vasectomy - Recovery

How was the recovery process for vasectomy?

Comment from: InControl, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 18

I had my vasectomy about a week ago. No scalpel. One hole, and titanium clips on both severed ends. I had pain after surgery, felt good to be in bed (and not moving, as legs knock testicles and the weight of them also hurts). Pain was most intense on day 3, and I could also see some bruising at the top of the scrotum and along the very bottom. I took it easy, used Polysporin and followed the doctor's directions religiously. Every day after the third day, it's gotten better and better in terms of pain and ease of walking. I can't run or exercise yet, but good gentle care and patience seem to be winning this recovery.

Comment from: worried wife, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 08

Please get all the information available before you go ahead with the vasectomy procedure. I wish my husband never had it done. In August it has almost been a year and he is in constant pain. We think he is suffering from post-vasectomy pain syndrome. And now with our wonderful medical plan we have in Canada we have been waiting for six months to see a urologist. I wish I would have had my tubes tied but my husband opted for this procedure given advice from friends and family that it wasn't a big deal. The figures range from 10 to 30 percent who suffer from this condition, and guess what! There is no cure, and no research. Do not get it done!

Comment from: manc, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 30

I had my vasectomy 3 and a half hours ago and was glad I did. I panicked just before the operation but once I went in felt no pain at all. A slight sharp pain of the skin and then nothing at all. I sat on my bed now with no pain apart from these tight underpants squeezing them together, it is nothing at all.

Comment from: drswift, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: September 08

I had my vasectomy done three days ago. The procedure went fine. I was quite anxious when the needle for the local anesthetic came out (clenched my eyes, crossed my legs, etc.) - but I didn't need to be. When I got home I was bracing myself all day for when the local wore off, but again, didn't need to be worried. I have had paracetamol a few times during my recovery but it was never necessary. I went to work the day after the procedure. I am a school teacher. It was fine. Bruising is very minimal.

Comment from: Steve, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 22

I had a vasectomy and had many problems. I felt like I was experiencing a male sort of menopause, hot flashes, irritability, and testicle pain. I eventually went in and had it reversed and the symptoms disappeared. Don't let anyone tell you this procedure is nothing. Do so with eyes open.

Comment from: snippy, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 18

I got vasectomy done on June 19th in about 20 minutes. My left testicle got sore during the procedure but I believe it was the vas deferens being tugged out. The soreness went away in a couple days but other than that it was fairly painless and not a big deal at all. The valium helps to take away the anxiety before the procedure and I walked out of there like normal.

Comment from: jfrom la, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

After vasectomy, I had very little soreness. I took the pain medicine as soon as I got home as the doctor said. And I also kept my butt in my recliner for the next two days, applying the ice pack several times a day. The only real pain I had was from the stitches, but it is still minor. There was a very small amount of soreness in the left testicle after I stopped wearing the jock strap. But it has gone away. It has been nine days since my procedure and I have had intercourse twice with no problems. Good luck guys, and make sure you follow the doctor's orders.

Vasectomy - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with vasectomy.
Vasectomy - Reversal Question: Please describe your experience with vasectomy reversal.