Patient Comments: Vasectomy - Recovery

How was the recovery process for vasectomy?

Comment from: Robin, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 30

I had my vasectomy done on 12th May (just under two weeks ago). The wound on the right side started showing signs of infection after day 3. The doctor prescribed antibiotics which did not work. The wound got bigger. Picture the back end of a pencil being pushed done on your flesh, about 2 mm deep. That describes the wound"s appearance. The doctor prescribed a second bout of antibiotics yesterday. I've been doing the sea salt baths as well, and using a topical cream. No improvement yet, and this round of antibiotics ends tomorrow. So concerned.

Comment from: Luke, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 23

I had my vasectomy 2 weeks ago and I'm still in pain. The doctor says I have a hematoma which is causing the pain. My testicles hurt and my upper groin area hurts too. The pain is unthinkable at times, I wish I never had this done. They are now going all sorts of colors, hopefully after my course of antibiotics it will be sorted out.

Comment from: Pete, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 25

Just back from the vasectomy operation, it went well but more anesthetic had to be inserted for the left one as I felt a deep throbbing pain. I've been home now for 4 hours and feeling pain in the left testicle as anesthetic is wearing off. All in all, the procedure is a simple one with little blood and minimal external stitching. Only time will tell on future. Samples to be given at 4 month and 5 month period to ensure sterilization.

Comment from: 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 06

I had a very uneventful vasectomy, it took about 15 minutes, in the doctor's office and took about 3 days for the swelling to go down. This was in 1976 after my third child was born and I knew we didn't want another. I only had one problem, after a couple years I had a reoccurring pain in my lower left side, the doctor said it was an infection in a tube from my testes and an antibiotic cleared it right up.

Comment from: Limpy, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

I had my vasectomy in 1998. For me I noticed immediately a loss of the sex dreams I had every night since I was a young teen. When I tried to have sex about a week later I found I was unable to get a proper erection. A month later, no change. Now 15 years later I still can't get a proper erection if I get any at all. At first the doctors said it's just age. I was 38. Then they insisted there was nothing wrong and it was all in my head. Most recently a doctor said that erectile dysfunction (ED) is indeed a possible side effect though rare. Had I known there was even a 1 in 100,000 chance of getting ED I'd have never done the vasectomy.

Comment from: Marty H, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 21

I had my Vasectomy in 2006 and have had absolutely no issues since. The procedure was relatively painless. I had only minimal bruising. It did not stop any of my activities, except for the first 24 hours. Recovery was a breeze, probably due to the fact that I am not a desk jockey. I'm physically active all day, every day. The best benefit has been the elimination of the stress of an unplanned pregnancy, and increased spontaneity.

Comment from: jnic, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 18

I am 2 months out from surgery and am having PVPS. It is fortunate for those who don't have issues; I am having fevers and pain. I have been back to the Doc three times. Once for antibiotics and ibuprofen. Regardless of situation research needs to be done. For me I feel nothing but regret depression (I can no longer work out, run, bike or swim). I am looking into reversal immediately because immune response has been bad. Fevers everyday almost and dull aching balls. Every once in a while it feels like a needle is being pressed into my testes. Good luck those with pain.

Vasectomy - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with vasectomy.
Vasectomy - Reversal Question: Please describe your experience with vasectomy reversal.