Patient Comments: Vasectomy - Recovery

How was the recovery process for vasectomy?

Comment from: David, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 18

Beware of post vasectomy pain syndrome that my Urologist now tells me affects 5-10% of men. (I'm pretty sure I was told 1-2% when I was consented for the operation.) Daily dull aching balls with added occasional sharp pain and always needing guarding, not great!

Comment from: Norm Orkids, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: December 20

My Vasectomy was a piece of cake. I was as nervous as anyone about it, but afterwards all the people who said it is no big deal were the ones that were right. The worst part of the whole thing was thinking about it for a month after I made the appointment. It really was no worse than getting a filling at the dentist. I had no pain to speak of afterwards, and no swelling. The day after I laid around and I iced it all day. My doctor came in and got down to business, he was finished in about the same amount of time as getting a haircut or oil change.

Comment from: Ouch, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 21

I had my vasectomy in 2010. I had the newer of the two procedures mentioned in this article with slight difference. The no stitch incision was made and the dissection was made along with cauterization of one end and a cap placed on the other. The procedure took maybe fifteen minutes from start to finish. I felt no pain after the procedure at all.

Comment from: ty, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 05

My vasectomy was horrible they nicked a feeder vein which caused me a trip by ambulance back to the hospital in alot of pain. My testicles went to the size of grape fruit if not bigger. They said this happens to one in 10,000 men I guess I was the unlucky one 2 weeks to a month of recovery. Kind of sucks. This is day four of recovery and I can't do a thing.

Comment from: William Baker, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 31

It may work for many but this operation can be a big deal for many. I thought I was a brave enough man. The pain killer failed and it was the most painful. Post pain was hell for the first 9 months and my balls have continued to ache to this day! I think the operation put me into shock for a very long time and I lost virtually all interest in sex for the first year. My self esteem and interest in sex never fully recovered. I thought I would not be affected by such things.

Vasectomy - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with vasectomy.
Vasectomy - Reversal Question: Please describe your experience with vasectomy reversal.