Patient Comments: Vasculitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with vasculitis.

Comment from: Amy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 18

I have been living with allergic vasculitis for almost 13 years now. I have tight, itchy, swollen legs and feet. It's really horrible because after an episode, I can barely walk. I can't wear shorts or dresses; it's miserable. I've been on prednisone and azathioprine, and neither has worked very well. I don't know what else to do.

Comment from: Donna, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 25

My mom has just died from cerebral vasculitis, and she was only 65. They thought she had encephalitis, but it was actually this cruel disease. She knew there was something wrong. She would grab her head and cry out with the pain. We lost her within two weeks of going into the hospital for something completely unrelated. She had massive brain hemorrhages and was pronounced brain dead. She also suffered from rheumatoid arthritis, and the doctors tell me this is a contributing factor. I can't help but think that if they'd discovered it earlier, she might still be here.

Comment from: Kalia, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

I have vasculitis, and when I have an episode, the swelling, itchy, very-tight skin hurts to touch. I can't walk for weeks at a time, sometimes a month. It is so painful. I am not able to walk for long distances or sit for long periods of time either. I am just not able to do the things I wants was able to do, such as tennis, walks on the beach, running with my dog, bowling, etc., Living with vasculitis is just a nightmare!

Comment from: Summer, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

Over the past 12 years I have had recurring vasculitis. It starts with spots on feet, legs, arms and upper chest area. By day 3 I usually have excessive swelling of the feet and hands and cannot walk. I spend a couple of weeks in bed sleeping with fevers, tremors, sweats and migranes. I try to keep my body as cold as possible and stay out of the sun light. I take pro-biotics as well as prescribed Prednisone. This can last up to 2 months and sometimes if I overexert myself or become stressed it comes straight back and puts me out of action for another month. I am yet again recovering from another bout of vasculitis after traveling to Bali for a holiday. For anyone experiencing this form of vasculitis, please tell your story in case there is more that I can learn about controlling this nightmare.

Comment from: Peter, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 27

I get confusion; feeling like my head is in a vice, mild pressure in the head. I went to the emergency room not long ago; they put me on an IV and almost instantly everything cleared up. I could once again think clearly. I left and then found myself back in the emergency room all over again. Same results.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

My first time of experiencing vasculitis was when the tips of my fingers were swollen, blood red, extremely hot and painful. At first the doctor didn't quite know what to make of it, after tests came back it was diagnosed as vasculitis. I was treated with steroids and all went back to normal. The second time it occurred was in the front of my lower leg. The pain was so bad I felt like someone had hit me with a baseball bat and I couldn't walk. Again steroids were administered and all went back to normal. During these times, I had un unusual blood test on my liver. My leg is always tender and sometimes I find little sore like blisters on it. I also have SLE and a hypoactive thyroid.

Comment from: cassiesmum, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 19

I have vasculitis, its horrible illness; I cannot wear skirts, or shorts during the warm weather. The backs of my thighs, buttocks and face have sores/spots over them and they're really painful. At times my whole body is wrecked with pain and fever. My GP is not very helpful, I have begged for stronger pain medication, but I'm told no, because I'm still young? I would love to meet a more sympathetic Gp, any advice on how to find one, would be greatly appreciated. I also have Rheumatoid Arthritis.

Vasculitis - Diagnosis Question: How was your vasculitis diagnosed?
Vasculitis - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment did you receive for your vasculitis?
Vasculitis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with vasculitis?
Vasculitis - Causes Question: What were the causes of your case of vasculitis?