Patient Comments: Vancomycin-Resistant Enterococci (VRE) - Causes

If known, what was the cause of your vancomycin-resistant enterococcal (VRE) infection?

Comment from: deucewild, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 17

My cause vancomycin-resistant enterococcal (VRE) infection was easy, I had a section of my colon removed because of diverticulitis. When the doctor sewed my colon back and closed me up, the colon started leaking in my body cavity and settled in my upper intestines where 15 feet had to be removed to get rid of the VRE. I was mentally delirious for two weeks and tied to the bed so I wouldn"t pull out any tubes.

Vancomycin Resistant Enterococci (VRE) - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your VRE infection?
Vancomycin - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your VRE infection?
Vancomycin-Resistant Enterococci (VRE) - Precautions Question: Have you taken care of someone with a VRE infection? Please share your caregiving tips for practicing good hygiene.