Patient Comments: Vancomycin - Symptoms

Question:What symptoms and signs did you experience with your VRE infection?

Comment from: cyndy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I acquired VRE after having a colonoscopy. I was hardly home from the hospital when I suddenly fell ill, began projectile vomiting followed w/fever and chills. My husband called the doctor and he advised I go to the ER. When I arrived at the ER, I was already dehydrated and IV w/fluids was started. I was admitted to the hospital feeling very weak, still feverish and vomiting. My body ached all over. I spent several days in the hospital and had several days home recuperating before I felt well enough to return to work.

Comment from: Lou F, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: February 25

I had cancer removed from my bladder. I constantly hurted while urinating and felt weak. At first I did not have a culture. I took 2 rounds of antibiotic with no results. Then a culure was done and I was then put on Macrobid. It took 2 weeks but I am okay now.

Comment from: Raymond, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 23

My symptoms of a VRE infection started with pain while walking in the lower abdominal and pubic arch, quickly followed by pain in the right groin area. I thought I had pulled a groin muscle but could not explain how it happened as I had done no exercise which would have done this. I had been walking about three miles daily at a moderate pace. The pain became so intense that I required a wheelchair as I could no longer walk.

Vancomycin Resistant Enterococci (VRE) - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your VRE infection?
Vancomycin-Resistant Enterococci (VRE) - Causes Question: If known, what was the cause of your vancomycin-resistant enterococcal (VRE) infection?
Vancomycin-Resistant Enterococci (VRE) - Precautions Question: Have you taken care of someone with a VRE infection? Please share your caregiving tips for practicing good hygiene.