Patient Comments: Valley Fever - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your valley fever (coccidioidomycosis)?

Comment from: Sandy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 16

I originally was diagnosed with pleural effusion and pneumonia, but after two months when I was no better a blood titer revealed valley fever. I am on Diflucan for three months. I have no energy and am short of breath on exertion and use oxygen at night when I sleep.

Comment from: Moe, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 19

For years before any diagnosis of valley fever (coccidioidomycosis) was made, I had severe shortness of breath. I was put on a CPAP (continuous positive airway pressure) then a BiPAP (Bilevel positive airway pressure), then into hyperbaric oxygen tanks, and put on oxygen therapy to raise my oxygen saturation levels from 70 percent to anything higher, but nothing worked. Inhalers were tried, I was constantly confused and unable to drive or concentrate, had stiff legs and unable to walk over 5 steps at a time, never could go out, not even enough breath to get to a phone if it rang. A pulmonologist told me to lose 70 lb. (which was inflammation) or I would never be able to breathe again, and not to go to the emergency room unless my oxygen saturation was less than 50 percent. He never did testing or examined me. I was totally unable to move around the house and certainly no energy to cook and eat or chew. I had two lung function tests which were the worst they had ever seen, but no other explanation. They did x-rays, CT scans, MRI, and ESR that showed nothing. I had been to Santa Fe, New Mexico for 37 days for another treatment when all this began. I had undiagnosed valley fever for over 3 years before a doctor in New Mexico did a coccidioidomycosis blood test to find out I had antibodies for it but the disease had been correctly diagnosed by a doctor in Dallas when I was sent there for kidney failure, several months before and I was given a prescription for the valley fever. It made me sicker than the disease, but weeks after taking it, I was totally symptom free. While taking the medicine, I had urinary tract infection, bronchitis, fever and night sweats, and constant diarrhea. I coughed up tiny 'cottage cheese like stuff' and 'Barbie doll contact lenses.' I am unable to vomit or probably would have had that too, as I was severely nauseated all the time. Now that all the symptoms are gone, I have an appointment (first available) to see an epidemiologist physician next month. Valley fever is deadly!

Comment from: meinaz, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

The first week of June 2013 I started coughing up blood, lots of bright red blood. I immediately saw my doctor who had me get an x-ray of my lungs the same day I saw him. He felt it was valley fever and prescribed fluconazole and Levofloxacin as a precaution. My doctor read the x-ray right after it was taken and said I had a mass on my lung. He then called in a favor to my now pulmonary doctor. I had a series of blood tests and a bronchoscopy and they took tissue samples. I am still taking fluconazole. I still get blood work done every 6 weeks. I had an x-ray 6 weeks ago, but will have another CT scan in 7 weeks to see if the nodule in my lung has shrunk. I was told it can take up to year for valley fever to finally be cured. I have to say if my doctors weren't so proactive I may have lost part of my lungs.

Comment from: stan, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 03

I had a deep cough, night bed sweats, and skin lesions for about two weeks and then went to the doctor. I was first diagnosed with pneumonia and put on an antibiotic. No help, so CT scan showed many nodules in the lungs and it was next diagnosed as lung cancer. Blood test showed valley fever and now I am on Fluconazole-400mg-daily, but for how long don't know.

Comment from: crystal, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I was first diagnosed as having pneumonia and given medication for it but it only made me worse. Two weeks later I was hospitalized for 6 days and I was diagnosed with Valley Fever. I had a liter and a half of fluid drained off of my right lung. That was 6 months ago; I am still on anti-fungal medications. My lung capacity has decreased and I still have pain in my right lung when I take a deep breath.

Valley Fever - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with valley fever (coccidioidomycosis).
Valley Fever - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your valley fever?