Patient Comments: Vaginal Pain and Vulvodynia - Medications

What medications or other medical treatments have helped your vaginal pain (vulvodynia)?

Comment from: feeling better, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 18

I spent a year freaking out that I had vulvodynia. I worked this summer at a facility that had a safety newsletter and it told me that when your body does not have enough electrolytes it causes your blood's pH to be off. I boosted my electrolytes and drank a Gatorade a day and my issues went away! Drink those electrolytes girls! Don't suffer needlessly through rounds of antibiotics. At least try it and see if it helps you!

Comment from: ZANDRA, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 07

Coenzyme Q10 cured my vulvodynia although I was taking it for something else. It cleared up in 3 months of 300 mg spread across the day. I had tried everything else and given up hope of ever finding a cure. It also cured my hot flushes after 15 years of suffering!

Comment from: Pam, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 16

I have had vulvodynia for many years. Try a low oxalate diet by staying away from foods/drinks like black tea, coffee, oatmeal, spinach, tomatoes. The diet plus 20 mg of desipramine has helped me a lot.

Comment from: kestrel, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

I don't think anyone has suggested amitriptyline. This antidepressant can be prescribed in low doses for vulvodynia and other pain. The 10 mg I take each evening has alleviate my vulvodynia pain. Higher dosages can also be prescribed but as this medication can make you feel drowsy I will stick to the 10mg dose for now.

Comment from: Cravitts, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 19

I suffered through the burning pain after a hysterectomy, and couldn"t sit on hard surfaces without wanting to scream. Finally after a few visits to an obstetrician/gynecologist, she diagnosed vulvodynia and prescribed amitriptyline. My dosage is 75mg, 50mg helped most of the time but still had painful flare-ups.

Comment from: 18 Months of Pain, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 06

I have had vaginal pain since October 2013. Boom, there it was. I checked the urine, no blood you can see but it showed on the multi strip. They gave me antibiotics, pelvic ultrasound, took two polyps out (I don't think that was the problem). When I urinate the sides burn. I have been reading about this vulvodynia. I need relief, but more I need to know why. I will try the primrose, wherever I can buy it. I have been to primary care physician, urologist and obstetrician and gynecologist. No one can help me.

Comment from: Bluefish, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 09

In researching treatment options for a different medical problem causing chronic pain (erythromelalgia), I've been trying to determine whether topical gabapentin (Neurontin, topical) might be effective. There's not much data on it, but it seems that there have been some encouraging results (from published studies) using topical gabapentin for vulvodynia. So, just wanted to leave a brief note in this forum as a heads-up in case this is an unexplored possibility.

Comment from: Rachna, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 04

I am 23 year old female and having huge pain during intercourse. I have had consultation with local doctor who suggested some good water based lubricant, but no relief.

Vaginal Pain and Vulvodynia - Home Remedies Question: What home remedies have been helpful in relieving your vaginal pain and vulvodynia?
Vaginal Pain (Vulvodynia) - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with vulvodynia?
Vaginal Pain During Pregnancy Question: Please share your experience with vaginal pain during pregnancy.
Vaginal Pain (Vulvodynia) - Prognosis Question: Have you found a remedy for your vulvodynia? How have you managed the symptoms?