Patient Comments: Vaginal Pain and Vulvodynia - Medications

What medications or other medical treatments have helped your vaginal pain (vulvodynia)?

Comment from: kestrel, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

I don't think anyone has suggested amitriptyline. This antidepressant can be prescribed in low doses for vulvodynia and other pain. The 10 mg I take each evening has alleviate my vulvodynia pain. Higher dosages can also be prescribed but as this medication can make you feel drowsy I will stick to the 10mg dose for now.

Comment from: Cravitts, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 19

I suffered through the burning pain after a hysterectomy, and couldn"t sit on hard surfaces without wanting to scream. Finally after a few visits to an obstetrician/gynecologist, she diagnosed vulvodynia and prescribed amitriptyline. My dosage is 75mg, 50mg helped most of the time but still had painful flare-ups.

Comment from: Fedup, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I have nerve damage (vulvodynia). I was prescribed Lyrica, which is marvelous, but sometimes it"s still flares up, and also affects my mouth. I use fungal lozenges to soothe my mouth. I"m also on antidepressants, which helps. It all started the same time, it started with a burning mouth, which affected my teeth also. I have had all tests done to see what was wrong with me, no one could diagnose me, so I got a referral to a dermatologist gynecologist. I was treated by some doctors who thought it was in my mind; I hardly think so, it is very painful.

Comment from: Marly, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 12

I don"t know if each case is different but I"ve had this vulvodynia for 2 years and tried everything. A new doctor told me to take 2 to 3 sit baths a day and wear loose clothing when I can (dry and clean is the goal). It"s been a week and I am getting better! He said 3 to 6 months but I"m feeling like it will resolve sooner.

Comment from: newchickiepie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

A month ago I got a stabbing, piercing, unbelievable pain in the left lip of the vaginal area. It lasted a second or so and went through a cycle that lasted about two minutes. Nothing else happened until last Saturday. It came and went for hours. I was frantic. It went away. Today, I woke up with a dull aching pain in the area. It seems swollen. I called my OB/GYN and made an appointment. After reading other's comments, I think I may have vulvodynia. I will get the primrose oil and ask for the Neurontin with 5% lidocaine gel. I had a hysterectomy 20 years ago and am 65 years old. I hope it goes away, as I am a teacher and it is like getting stabbed with a pencil through the eye (not by a student, hopefully). I shudder to think what the students think when my face contorts. Yuck. Good luck everyone out there. Keep checking the posts – there is help.

Comment from: ojala, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

I have have this pain for about 2 years and have been to two gynecologists, primary MD and urologist. I have had a biopsy, an MRI study, ultra sound and have tried different hormonal creams and Vagifem. To no avail, they could not figure this problem out. I bought the Primrose oil today and will try it. Thank you for your stories. Wish me luck!

Comment from: dulcie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 25

I suffered from this for over 18 years. The onset was sporadic and localized in the vulva area, but with a constant, nerve racking throbbing. I have questioned at least 4 or 5 doctors; their response was disbelief: seek psychiatric counseling: or a treatment for incontinence. The last response was from a doctor that couldn't admit he had no idea what was causing my misery: I didn't fill the prescription for my 'overactive' bladder. Seven years. ago I was prescribed pain medication for surgery and tried it when the horrible throbbing began weeks later. It worked and continues to put an abrupt end to an onset of this miserable issue. I hope and pray this will help someone.

Comment from: Pain, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

I have had this burning pain for 4 months. They gave me lidocaine which only made me feel worst .. I freeze a rag in sit it there but that only helps for a little while . I feel like I'm losing my mind I have no life.

Vaginal Pain and Vulvodynia - Home Remedies Question: What home remedies have been helpful in relieving your vaginal pain and vulvodynia?
Vaginal Pain (Vulvodynia) - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with vulvodynia?
Vaginal Pain (Vulvodynia) - Diagnosis Question: Please describe the tests and exams you received that led to a diagnosis of vulvodynia.
Vaginal Pain (Vulvodynia) - Prognosis Question: Have you found a remedy for your vulvodynia? How have you managed the symptoms?