Patient Comments: Vaginal Pain and Vulvodynia - Medications

What medications or other medical treatments have helped your vaginal pain (vulvodynia)?

Comment from: Fedup, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I have nerve damage (vulvodynia). I was prescribed Lyrica, which is marvelous, but sometimes it"s still flares up, and also affects my mouth. I use fungal lozenges to soothe my mouth. I"m also on antidepressants, which helps. It all started the same time, it started with a burning mouth, which affected my teeth also. I have had all tests done to see what was wrong with me, no one could diagnose me, so I got a referral to a dermatologist gynecologist. I was treated by some doctors who thought it was in my mind; I hardly think so, it is very painful.

Comment from: Marly, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 12

I don"t know if each case is different but I"ve had this vulvodynia for 2 years and tried everything. A new doctor told me to take 2 to 3 sit baths a day and wear loose clothing when I can (dry and clean is the goal). It"s been a week and I am getting better! He said 3 to 6 months but I"m feeling like it will resolve sooner.

Comment from: newchickiepie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

A month ago I got a stabbing, piercing, unbelievable pain in the left lip of the vaginal area. It lasted a second or so and went through a cycle that lasted about two minutes. Nothing else happened until last Saturday. It came and went for hours. I was frantic. It went away. Today, I woke up with a dull aching pain in the area. It seems swollen. I called my OB/GYN and made an appointment. After reading other's comments, I think I may have vulvodynia. I will get the primrose oil and ask for the Neurontin with 5% lidocaine gel. I had a hysterectomy 20 years ago and am 65 years old. I hope it goes away, as I am a teacher and it is like getting stabbed with a pencil through the eye (not by a student, hopefully). I shudder to think what the students think when my face contorts. Yuck. Good luck everyone out there. Keep checking the posts – there is help.

Comment from: dulcie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 25

I suffered from this for over 18 years. The onset was sporadic and localized in the vulva area, but with a constant, nerve racking throbbing. I have questioned at least 4 or 5 doctors; their response was disbelief: seek psychiatric counseling: or a treatment for incontinence. The last response was from a doctor that couldn't admit he had no idea what was causing my misery: I didn't fill the prescription for my 'overactive' bladder. Seven years. ago I was prescribed pain medication for surgery and tried it when the horrible throbbing began weeks later. It worked and continues to put an abrupt end to an onset of this miserable issue. I hope and pray this will help someone.

Comment from: ojala, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

I have have this pain for about 2 years and have been to two gynecologists, primary MD and urologist. I have had a biopsy, an MRI study, ultra sound and have tried different hormonal creams and Vagifem. To no avail, they could not figure this problem out. I bought the Primrose oil today and will try it. Thank you for your stories. Wish me luck!

Comment from: Pain, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

I have had this burning pain for 4 months. They gave me lidocaine which only made me feel worst .. I freeze a rag in sit it there but that only helps for a little while . I feel like I'm losing my mind I have no life.

Comment from: motheroftwo, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

I was diagnosed with vulvodynia in 2010, and was prescribed Gabopentin cream. My symptoms subsided with maybe 1 or 2 episodes from 2010 to 2013. I have been experiencing pain starting June 2013 and July 2013. Does anybody have advice for relief? The doctors don't seem to know what vulvodynia is. This time I have fatigue, chills, and if I exercise, this causes it to flare up.

Published: May 06

I am surprised nobody has mentioned lichens sclerosis as a diagnosis for vaginal pain. My OB-GYN is the one who found it after I had visited many doctors. It looks like white/grey skin on the vulva, is painful, and itches like crazy. The only med known to help is Clobetasol cream and they want you use a vaginal hormone cream, which I do not do. The Clobetasol sometimes helps, but you can't use it too often, so I am in pain more of the time than not. I will try the primrose oil. Anything to take this pain away.

Vaginal Pain and Vulvodynia - Home Remedies Question: What home remedies have been helpful in relieving your vaginal pain and vulvodynia?
Vaginal Pain (Vulvodynia) - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with vulvodynia?
Vaginal Pain During Pregnancy Question: Please share your experience with vaginal pain during pregnancy.
Vaginal Pain (Vulvodynia) - Prognosis Question: Have you found a remedy for your vulvodynia? How have you managed the symptoms?