Patient Comments: Vaginal Pain and Vulvodynia - Medications

What medications or other medical treatments have helped your vaginal pain (vulvodynia)?

Comment from: motheroftwo, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

I was diagnosed with vulvodynia in 2010, and was prescribed Gabopentin cream. My symptoms subsided with maybe 1 or 2 episodes from 2010 to 2013. I have been experiencing pain starting June 2013 and July 2013. Does anybody have advice for relief? The doctors don't seem to know what vulvodynia is. This time I have fatigue, chills, and if I exercise, this causes it to flare up.

Published: May 06

I am surprised nobody has mentioned lichens sclerosis as a diagnosis for vaginal pain. My OB-GYN is the one who found it after I had visited many doctors. It looks like white/grey skin on the vulva, is painful, and itches like crazy. The only med known to help is Clobetasol cream and they want you use a vaginal hormone cream, which I do not do. The Clobetasol sometimes helps, but you can't use it too often, so I am in pain more of the time than not. I will try the primrose oil. Anything to take this pain away.

Comment from: lady, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

Since entering menopause 8 years ago, I have suffered excruciating pain with intercourse and some pain during bathing etc. in my vulvar area. No lubricants or vaginal hormones helped and I had resigned myself to just living with this and no longer having a sex life until I read about evening primrose oil. I was a skeptic, but started applying the oil from two tablets to my vulvar area each evening. Within a week my symptoms lessened and after a month I am once again, I am having sex pain free. I feel like I have gotten my life and marriage back.

Comment from: trhlls, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 21

I have been suffering from vulvodynia for more than 8 years and finally went and saw a gynecologist who specializes in vaginal problems such as vulvodynia. He prescribed Neurontin, in a cream form, along with a 5 percent Lidocaine gel. The pain continued to decrease and after a couple of months was gone.

Comment from: ShellyR, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 24

This is how I feel but can't get diagnosed. For years I've been in extreme pain and unable to be with my husband intimately. I cry in pain. I've gone to at least 4 or 5 gynos. I have PCOS and endometriosis but they act as if there's nothing really wrong.

Comment from: Mrs. T, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: October 25

I read with interest the article from, no more pain. My wife has had this problem, pain, and our doctors have had no clue as to the cause or treatment if there was a treatment. One dr. said; don't wear panties telling a senior, 82 that wears pads 24/7, duh. Anyway, after reading the article I went to the store, bought the evening primrose oil, 1000 MG and it appears to work after 2 applications to ease the pain. Thanks for the article.

Comment from: Nomorepain, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 09

I opened and applied 2 capsules of 1000 mg of evening primrose oil to my vaginal area and into my vagina before sex. I was amazed to have no pain at all and no burning at all for the first time in more than 15 years. I am only 48 but have been suffering with Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome with Vulvodynia as an extra burden for more than 15 years. My poor husband wouldn't touch me any more for fear of hurting me. I have tried every kind of lubricating lotion, oil, crème including synthetic and natural ones like coconut to no avail.

Comment from: stillinpain, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 05

What kind of evening primerose can I use. Is the 1000 mg the dosage per evening. Can you take it orally in addition to applying it to the vagina.

Vaginal Pain and Vulvodynia - Home Remedies Question: What home remedies have been helpful in relieving your vaginal pain and vulvodynia?
Vaginal Pain (Vulvodynia) - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with vulvodynia?
Vaginal Pain (Vulvodynia) - Diagnosis Question: Please describe the tests and exams you received that led to a diagnosis of vulvodynia.
Vaginal Pain (Vulvodynia) - Prognosis Question: Have you found a remedy for your vulvodynia? How have you managed the symptoms?