Patient Comments: Vaginal Pain (Vulvodynia) - Prognosis

Have you found a remedy for your vulvodynia? How have you managed the symptoms?

Comment from: Jane, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I am driven crazy by this vulvodynia. I had it first about 8 years ago and after many tests for bacteria etc. the doctor prescribed amitriptyline starting at 25 mg each night rising to 75 mg. After about a year on this I began to reduce the dose and finally got off it and all was fine. It reoccurred last year and this time the same treatment is doing nothing for me. In fact the symptoms are also occurring around the anus. My husband is fed up because I can"t even contemplate any sexual intimacy. The doctor suggested anesthetic gel applied before intercourse! Lovely - imagine I now need an anesthetic to have sex! And what happens to my husband I wonder! The amitriptyline leaves me with cotton mouth and a thick head each morning. Oh, my doctor also implies that my symptoms could be stress related! They are causing my stress not the other way around. In desperation I am now going to crack open some evening primrose oil capsules.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: CM Wheeler, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I have had vulvodynia for over a year and believe it was caused by nerve damage from a D&C. I had all the tests run and yet the doctors could find nothing wrong so sent me home with no help. I was in tears! My pain started with painful intercourse then burning mouth and finally burning, itching, throbbing vaginal, and sometimes anal, pain. I wear loose cotton clothing (no more tight jeans for me) and soak in very hot water with a bit of baking soda in it for 30 minutes at a time. I take primrose oil orally but may try it topically after reading how that helped others. I also have used cortisone cream, RepHresh vaginal gel and Gold Bond powder. The cortisone takes the swelling down but I was told not to use it too much because it can thin your skin. The RepHresh I use both externally and internally and have found my symptoms lessening. The Gold Bond is nice to kill that itchy feeling and keep the area dry, but I"ll warn it does burn a bit when I first put it on. It"s such a relief to know this is, and has, happened to other women!

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: judy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I have been suffering from vaginal pain, raw, burning and stinging for over 2 years. Believe me, I have tried everything from medication to home remedies. I even went to the Vaginal Center to no avail. It was just a waste of time and money and some treatments even made it worse. I recently tried primrose oil capsules taken orally. I take two every night 500 mg each. This is the first time I have found any relief. It has taken a couple of weeks but this is the best I have found.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: Netta, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I have been living with vulvodynia for about 16 years. I am on antidepressants, wear loose clothes, and try not to think about it.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: Al-in-Frenchland, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

I have suffered from vulvodynia for over a year. After 9 months I went to see a dermatologist who prescribed cortisone cream locally. The condition disappeared but has now returned after six months. I am due for my annual check-up with my gynecologist soon. Perhaps she'll give me some effective treatment. I've had local hormonal pessaries (Progesterone) long-term in the past but became allergic to them. She's always refused to prescribe HRT (hormone replacement therapy) for me and at 62, it's too late.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: Vivienne, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I have been suffering with vulvodynia for 4 years, which I can feel as if you have a full bladder, burning as if you have two burned raw edges covered in salt, itchy liked raw skin or sunburn, and many other feelings felt by other women; and glossodynia in the mouth which feel as if you have eaten hot mince pies! I found Lyrica a great medicine. I found many things out there of help.

Was this comment helpful?Yes

Patient Comments

Viewers share their comments

Vaginal Pain and Vulvodynia - Medications Question: What medications or other medical treatments have helped your vaginal pain (vulvodynia)?
Vaginal Pain and Vulvodynia - Home Remedies Question: What home remedies have been helpful in relieving your vaginal pain and vulvodynia?
Vaginal Pain (Vulvodynia) - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with vulvodynia?
Vaginal Pain (Vulvodynia) - Diagnosis Question: Please describe the tests and exams you received that led to a diagnosis of vulvodynia.

Patient Comments are not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your physician or other qualified health provider because of something you have read on MedicineNet. The opinions expressed in the comments section are of the author and the author alone. MedicineNet does not endorse any specific product, service or treatment.

Alert If you think you have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately.

Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration

You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.