Patient Comments: Vaginal Pain (Vulvodynia) - Symptoms

What were your symptoms associated with vulvodynia?

Comment from: Simone, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I get 2 distinct types of pain with vulvodynia. The first is very similar to period pain, i.e., abdominal and down my thighs. The second only involves the vaginal area. However, both are present during the night after urination and seem to be connected to diet. I am on a gluten/yeast/sugar free diet, but sometimes I lapse! I can no longer eat Anzac biscuits, as this results in the first type of pain. Last night I had 2 glasses of champagne, which provoked the second pain. It"s not bad enough to take painkillers, but stops me sleeping. The pain eases during the day. Having sex does not cause either pain. So, back to the strict diet for me!

Comment from: smallen14, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I have been suffering from intense burning and itching around my vaginal opening and in the area just before my anus. The pain has been off and on for at least 2 years. I've been to numerous doctors and gynecologists who keep telling me I have a bacterial infection, UTI (urinal tract infection), yeast infection and every STD possible. I've tried antibiotics, yeast cream, cortisone, even Neosporin but nothing helped. Warm oatmeal baths provide temporary relief. I can't make love to my husband because of the pain. I can't shave or wax because of the pain. I wake up in the middle of the night in tears because the burning is so intense. I will try this primrose oil and hope for relief.

Comment from: chyydak, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I had suffered from what seemed like a urinary tract infection. But tests came back negative except sometimes when they did a culture an infection showed not just a regular urine test. After seeing many urologists with no answer I saw an urogynocologist and was diagnosed with interstitial cystitis. I finally found relief through a non-acidic diet and medication. Now I am suffering from vulvodynia and am working with my gynecologist. It started with a yeast infection and we are still diagnosing. As she suggested, I have found using a TENS machine all day above pubic area has helped.

Comment from: Missy Mitch, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I suffer from this condition and due to the fact that I also have had a lot of UTIs (urinary tract infections) in the past, I was confusing this with a UTI for a long time. It is so much like a UTI except that the medications for a UTI do not work on this! I notice I get this most often after sex with my husband when we do not take the time to properly use a good lubricant. That is very important for many women of my age group. This is an extremely painful problem and I hope to find out more about it and how to remedy the pain.

Comment from: mredhen, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 26

My vulvodynia started as what seemed like a bladder infection. The most severe pain was upon the urine hitting the vaginal wall and the vulval area. I was tested four times in three weeks for a UTI but I did not ever show a positive urine test. I saw my Gynecologist and he felt the cause was due to thinning of the vaginal tissues due to age and lack of hormones. He placed me on a hormone vaginal cream. I am at my wits end as it seems that although I have continued the hormone therapy the pain is more severe than ever. What do I do now? I spoke to the doctor and he said it might take longer, but should the sensitivity be worsened by the therapy meant to help? Anyone have a similar experience. I am 66 and had a Hysterectomy in 1984 due to dysmenorrhea. I have never experience anything as painful. I want to cry each time I have to pee!

Vaginal Pain and Vulvodynia - Medications Question: What medications or other medical treatments have helped your vaginal pain (vulvodynia)?
Vaginal Pain and Vulvodynia - Home Remedies Question: What home remedies have been helpful in relieving your vaginal pain and vulvodynia?
Vaginal Pain (Vulvodynia) - Diagnosis Question: Please describe the tests and exams you received that led to a diagnosis of vulvodynia.
Vaginal Pain (Vulvodynia) - Prognosis Question: Have you found a remedy for your vulvodynia? How have you managed the symptoms?