Patient Comments: Vaginal Dryness - Symptoms

Discuss the other symptoms associated with your vaginal dryness or vaginal atrophy.

Comment from: Somy, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

I am a 24 year old woman, I have been taking the birth control pill for about 4 years. This caused a dysfunction to my ovulation due to high prolactin levels and I guess that it has lowered my estrogen levels as a result of high prolactin. It causes my vaginal irritation (stinging/itching) to be lasting for nearly a year and half which is driving me crazy. I think I may need something to lower my prolactin and bring the estrogen levels back to normal to help for ovulation and therefore reduce my vaginal dryness. I did all the STDs tests which resulted negative, went to a skin specialist who gave me a mild bubble bath to wash and to a remove pubic hair by laser, but still no success, therefore I think I need something hormonal.

Comment from: maggie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

I'm a 48 years old female that has started going through menopause. For the last 3 years I have had an external vaginal itching that never goes away. I have been to the doctor and used numerous creams that have not helped. It is so bad that it gets me up at night. The itching is so bad it feel like pins and needles, and then burning and soreness from the scratching.

Comment from: Samosee, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

Comment for Maggie: My mother suffered for 20 years with symptoms sounding like yours. She finally found a gynecologist who took the time to culture her vaginal discharge. She had a relatively rare fungal infection that was easily treated. For her, the unending itching not relieved by anything was the primary symptom.

Vaginal Dryness - Causes Question: If known, what was the cause of your vaginal dryness or atrophy?
Vaginal Dryness - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment have you tried for your vaginal dryness or atrophy?