Patient Comments: Vaginal Dryness - Causes

If known, what was the cause of your vaginal dryness or atrophy?

Comment from: Belinda, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 27

I am 47 years old. I suffered urinary infections, bladder pressure and pain in the urethra, then horrific burning in the vagina and vulva area. I was treated for thrush but had no discharge. Finally gynecologist discovered on first examination vaginal atrophy caused by low estrogen due to my age. I was treated with estrogen pessaries, Dermol moisturizer and emollient.

Comment from: fellow past sufferer, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

My thin vagina (after menopause induced by total hysterectomy for multiple recurrent fibroids) was related to urethral irritation symptoms mimicking urinary tract infection (but no bacteria or other signs of infection). I suffered for months with interrupted sleep; had to drink and urinate often to temporarily relieve the irritation feeling, I was advised by my then urologist to keep drinking water until my urine was as clear as water! I eventually found an understanding urologist who advised I was drinking too much (4 liters a day) and felt my symptoms were from menopause. He prescribed a vaginal estrogen cream and after a month of alternate daily use (0.5 mg cream) my symptoms were resolved. Six months later, I now use the cream once a week and my sex drive (and life) has also improved. Menopause is a terrible thing to experience!

Comment from: ELIZABETH, Male (Patient) Published: February 25

I have been experiencing vaginal dryness since I was in my early twenties and to this day do not know what caused it. I do have polycystic ovaries.

Comment from: DEB, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

Recently I found out I was post-menopausal (52 years) and yes, I have the normal symptoms but the worst is the vaginal dryness and feeling pressure as in a urinary tract infection all the time! All the tests were negative and I still have pressure.

Comment from: samosee, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

The cause of my vaginal dryness was due to age and partner with prostate cancer.

Vaginal Dryness - Symptoms Question: Discuss the other symptoms associated with your vaginal dryness or vaginal atrophy.
Vaginal Dryness - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment have you tried for your vaginal dryness or atrophy?