- Take the Menopause Quiz
- Menopause and Perimenopause Slideshow
- Osteoporosis Slideshow Pictures
- Patient Comments: Vaginal Dryness - Causes
- Patient Comments: Vaginal Dryness - Symptoms
- Patient Comments: Vaginal Dryness - Treatment
- Find a local Obstetrician-Gynecologist in your town
- Vaginal dryness and vaginal atrophy facts
- What causes vaginal dryness and vaginal atrophy?
- What symptoms can be associated with vaginal dryness and vaginal atrophy?
- How is vaginal dryness and vaginal atrophy diagnosed?
- What treatments are available for vaginal dryness and vaginal atrophy?
- What is the outlook for vaginal dryness and vaginal atrophy?
Quick GuideSexual Health Pictures Slideshow: Female Sexual Problems
What is the outlook for vaginal dryness and vaginal atrophy?
Vaginal dryness and vaginal atrophy are common complaints in postmenopausal women. While these conditions do not produce serious consequences, they are a source of significant discomfort for many women. Hormone treatments are available that are very effective in reducing vaginal dryness, but whether or not to use hormone therapy is an individual decision that must consider the inherent risks and benefits of the treatment along with each woman's own medical history. Women with only mild symptoms may experience relief by using vaginal moisturizing agents and/or lubricants during sexual intercourse.
Medically reviewed by Steven Nelson, MD; Board Certified Obstetrics and Gynecology
Rossouw JE; Anderson GL; Prentice RL et al. Risks and benefits of estrogen plus progestin in healthy postmenopausal women: principal results From the Women's Health Initiative randomized controlled trial. JA
Utian WH; Archer DF; Bachmann GA, et al. Estrogen and progestogen use in postmenopausal women: July 2008 position statement of The North American Menopause Society. Menopause. 2008 Jul-Aug;15(4 Pt 1):584-602.