Patient Comments: Vaginal Douche (Douching) - Side Effects

Question:Have you experienced side effects from vaginal douching?

Comment from: JWesterfield, 19-24 Female Published: August 23

I am a 23 year old woman. I have only douched once, when I was 15, because I was helping a 16 year old friend of mine with the after effects of her very first period. Up until then I had always used warm water to clean the outside and trusted the PH balance on the inside to keep it healthy. After I douched that first time I contracted a yeast infection. I'd never had one before and I've never had one since. The only thing that makes sense to me is the chemicals in the douche messed with the PH balance and either caused the yeast infection or the good bacteria was in the middle of fighting off a yeast infection and because I washed a lot of the bacteria (good and bad) out with the douche I made it possible for the infection to attach. Since then I've never douched. I've gone back to my wash on the outside and trust it to work on the inside. I haven't had a problem since.

Comment from: Wendy-X, 25-34 Female Published: May 07

I'm 28, and have been douching twice a week since I was 16. I've never experienced any of the problems I've heard about from other women, so I'm not convinced it's as bad as everyone says. I began because I have a vaginal odor that is quite unpleasant if I don't. In the past 10 years, I've only had one yeast infection. I am currently sexually active.

Comment from: Idt its normal, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I've tried douching twice. The first time I tried it, it burned slightly then burned the next time I urinated. I bled for the next few days, but it was time to get my depo shot and I usually bleed around that time, so I assumed it was that. I tried it again the next week to clean after the bleeding, and once again there was a burning feeling. The burning went away when I was done, but I spotted a little the whole next day.

Comment from: june, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I am 50 years old. I've been douching since the 90s since I developed thrush. I just feel cleaner. I do it every time I shower and before and after have sex, but have had really bad pains in my abdomen for years. I now realize through conversation with other female friends that it's not the norm to douche.

Comment from: Sammy21, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I was considering doing a vaginal douche only after my period to get rid of the last bits of blood and to feel fresher. But after reading the information here and elsewhere which supports what is written here, I am now much more reluctant to do it. I still want the cleanliness but guess I will rely on the vaginas natural cleansing process. Plus as I will be trying for a baby within the next few years I do not want to put my fertility levels at further risk as I am 36 already. I'm glad I looked up this information before I did it. Thank you.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 07

I am a twenty four year old woman who rarely uses douches. In the past five months I began using them and have for the first time contracted a bacterial vaginosis infection. I definitely feel it was a consequence of changing my vaginal pH levels.

Vaginal Douching - Complications Question: Did you experience any conditions and complications as a result of vaginal douching? Please explain your problem.