Patient Comments: Uterine Fibroids - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your uterine fibroids?

Comment from: momoffour, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I was diagnosed a year ago with adenomyosis which caused similar symptoms. I had an endometrial ablation done years ago so I haven"t had a period since. Prior to the diagnosis of adenomyosis I had severe back pain around to my hips and down both thighs, pressure on my bowels and increased urine leaking. It was so bad I would lie in bed and cry. My gynecologist had me try the NuvaRing which did help but gave me horrible vaginal drainage constantly. I ended up in the emergency room recently with such severe abdominal pain that I couldn"t stand up. They diagnosed me with fibroids and I will see a new gynecologist this week. I am 47, have 4 (one step) beautiful kids and am considering having my uterus removed.

Comment from: scarygirl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I was just diagnosed with a fibroid that is 9 cm, the doctor said that it is like I am 4 month pregnant. He said that it is the size of a new born baby"s head. He said that I have to have a hysterectomy but I am very scared to do this. I am trying to hold off as long as I can. The pain is not that bad and is only during that time of the month. The bleeding is very bad during the second day. I leave work because the bleeding is very heavy with clots the size of a chicken breast. I know that I have to have the surgery soon. I am so mad because I have my routine checkup every year and this was never caught, I can"t believe that the doctor did not see this, I mean this fibroid is way too big.

Comment from: Alma, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I am 25 years of age. I went to the gynecologist who told me I have a huge mass that's bigger than my uterus. I'm not sure what kind of treatment we are going for since I just learned about it yesterday. I have pain/pressure on my right ovary when I have intercourse, lift heavy stuff, before and after my period, and when my bladder is full.

Comment from: leah, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

I'm 42 years old, diagnosed with fibroids 5 years ago but it never really bothered me. I had the uterine embolization a year ago, I decided to get it done because the fibroids grew a lot. Everything went well, however, I need to undergo hysterectomy because it's growing again and I cannot sleep well due to dull pain on my lower back and cramps. I am diabetic and according to my gynecologist the fibroids are really low and really close to my ureter. A urologist will be in the operating room to make sure everything will be ok. It will be an abdominal partial hysterectomy, leaving the ovaries and cervix intact. The robotic procedure will not be advisable because of the large fibroid size. I need to get my diabetes under control before I get the surgery. Hoping for the best and looking forward to a cramp free and good night's sleep.

Comment from: LuAnn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I am 51 years old and have been dealing with 5 fibroids for the past several years. My doctor has performed a D&C to try and control my heavy bleeding, clotting and cramping. When that was unsuccessful, he started me on Depo Provera shots that were effective at first, but I"m 2 weeks before my third scheduled shot and I am back to bleeding heavily, etc. My next step is a hysterectomy and I am so ready for this. No one needs to live like this. I am past the child bearing age and all I want is menopause to finally kick in so these fibroids go away once and for all.

Comment from: denise, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

From the month of May I have had abnormal bleeding, two weeks at a time, it's very scary. Symptoms I am having are cramping, clotting and bleeding. I was diagnosed with uterine fibroids years ago... but never had this problem.

Comment from: MrsQDragon, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

I am 41 years old and have never had children, would like to have the chance but wondering if I ever will now. I have had fibroids for about 10 or more years, when they were first diagnosed, I was given an IUS (intrauterine system) and told to hurry and have my family, as the only way they would treat them was by hysterectomy - at the time I was getting pain and heavy bleeding. It all calmed and as the IUS never made a difference to the fibroids which were 3-4cm in size, they removed the IUS and I tolerated symptoms. Over the last 18 months I started getting more pain including in my low back, heavier bleeding and then flooding. I asked to see another specialist who found that one fibroid was about 5cm size and the other about 12cm. He referred me for a UFE (uterine fibroid embolization). I am now 12 weeks post procedure, I have bled once since about 3 weeks ago and had several days of constant flooding then a few days of really heavy bleeding. I"m waiting to see what happens next but worried that I"m still getting a lot of pain and still feeling exhausted all the time. I was off of work for 3 months at the end of last year whilst waiting for the procedure and then getting over it and since the start of January have been on reduced hours. I also get severe lows in my mood as I move through my cycle, am being treated for depression and anxiety (possibly made worse by this condition) and am on iron supplements as I was found to have low iron stores heading toward anemia. I attended for my 3 month MRI scan earlier this week and am awaiting results and advice on what is happening. I don"t know if this is right to still be feeling so exhausted - I want to be back to the normal me.

Uterine Fibroids - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with uterine fibroids (benign tumors of the uterus).
Uterine Fibroids - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your uterine fibroids
Uterine Fibroids - Surgery Question: If you had surgery to remove fibroids, describe the procedure. Are you satisfied with the results?
Uterine Fibroids - Diagnosis Question: What were the tests and exams that led to a diagnosis of uterine fibroids?