Patient Comments: Uterine Fibroids - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your uterine fibroids?

Comment from: momoffour, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I was diagnosed a year ago with adenomyosis which caused similar symptoms. I had an endometrial ablation done years ago so I haven"t had a period since. Prior to the diagnosis of adenomyosis I had severe back pain around to my hips and down both thighs, pressure on my bowels and increased urine leaking. It was so bad I would lie in bed and cry. My gynecologist had me try the NuvaRing which did help but gave me horrible vaginal drainage constantly. I ended up in the emergency room recently with such severe abdominal pain that I couldn"t stand up. They diagnosed me with fibroids and I will see a new gynecologist this week. I am 47, have 4 (one step) beautiful kids and am considering having my uterus removed.

Comment from: scarygirl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I was just diagnosed with a fibroid that is 9 cm, the doctor said that it is like I am 4 month pregnant. He said that it is the size of a new born baby"s head. He said that I have to have a hysterectomy but I am very scared to do this. I am trying to hold off as long as I can. The pain is not that bad and is only during that time of the month. The bleeding is very bad during the second day. I leave work because the bleeding is very heavy with clots the size of a chicken breast. I know that I have to have the surgery soon. I am so mad because I have my routine checkup every year and this was never caught, I can"t believe that the doctor did not see this, I mean this fibroid is way too big.

Comment from: Alma, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I am 25 years of age. I went to the gynecologist who told me I have a huge mass that's bigger than my uterus. I'm not sure what kind of treatment we are going for since I just learned about it yesterday. I have pain/pressure on my right ovary when I have intercourse, lift heavy stuff, before and after my period, and when my bladder is full.

Comment from: leah, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

I'm 42 years old, diagnosed with fibroids 5 years ago but it never really bothered me. I had the uterine embolization a year ago, I decided to get it done because the fibroids grew a lot. Everything went well, however, I need to undergo hysterectomy because it's growing again and I cannot sleep well due to dull pain on my lower back and cramps. I am diabetic and according to my gynecologist the fibroids are really low and really close to my ureter. A urologist will be in the operating room to make sure everything will be ok. It will be an abdominal partial hysterectomy, leaving the ovaries and cervix intact. The robotic procedure will not be advisable because of the large fibroid size. I need to get my diabetes under control before I get the surgery. Hoping for the best and looking forward to a cramp free and good night's sleep.

Comment from: LuAnn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I am 51 years old and have been dealing with 5 fibroids for the past several years. My doctor has performed a D&C to try and control my heavy bleeding, clotting and cramping. When that was unsuccessful, he started me on Depo Provera shots that were effective at first, but I"m 2 weeks before my third scheduled shot and I am back to bleeding heavily, etc. My next step is a hysterectomy and I am so ready for this. No one needs to live like this. I am past the child bearing age and all I want is menopause to finally kick in so these fibroids go away once and for all.

Comment from: Sandy, 75 or over (Caregiver) Published: May 01

My 80 year old mother, who has dementia, has been diagnosed with fibroids. My mother almost never had annual Pap smears. The obstetrician/gynecologist stated that they have probably been there for almost 40 years without her knowing. She would not allow him to examine her so that he can determine what procedure is required, however; more than likely a hysterectomy is needed because she"s having some cramping and spotting. Her regular doctor doesn"t believe her body is strong enough to withstand that type of surgery. So when she cramps at times, I give her Aleve to relieve the pain. I feel helpless to see her this way being able to do nothing.

Uterine Fibroids - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with uterine fibroids (benign tumors of the uterus).
Uterine Fibroids - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your uterine fibroids
Uterine Fibroids - Surgery Question: If you had surgery to remove fibroids, describe the procedure. Are you satisfied with the results?
Uterine Fibroids - Diagnosis Question: What were the tests and exams that led to a diagnosis of uterine fibroids?