Patient Comments: Uterine Fibroids - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your uterine fibroids?

Comment from: JOHNSON, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I am a 47 years old female, diagnosed with several fibroids. I have irregular periods, pain and bloating of stomach, I am so miserable at times, can't sleep because of feeling bloated, shortness of breath and leg and back pain. I was scheduled for a myomectomy about a year ago, potassium level was too low to go to surgery. I am in the process of finding a doctor to go on and get surgery. I just want my life back, tired of feeling this way!

Comment from: Tiredoflookingpreg, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 10

I am a 44 year old female and have fibroids. I do not bleed heavy or cramp during that time of the month. The only problem I have is frequent urination and a protruding stomach (looks to be about 6 months pregnant). I am wondering, at my age, should I just have the fibroids removed or should I have a full hysterectomy. Whatever the case, I would love to look myself again, as I am a very petite woman.

Comment from: Kentuckymoonlady, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 02

I am a 52 year old woman with recently diagnosed uterine fibroids. I was told I have several. I have been bleeding for almost 4 months, constantly. There are times when the bleeding decreases but the other times when it is effusive and I can't do anything physical for fear of having an 'accident'. I'm so frustrated, the pain is horrible sometimes akin to a miscarriage. I feel dirty no matter how often I shower, I feel like I smell, even if I don't. I told my doctor about the pain and asked for something, anything to lessen the pain, and suggestions for decreasing the blood. It seems the only solution is a hysterectomy. I'm scheduled in three weeks and cannot wait to be free of the pain and embarrassment caused by something beyond my control. To those of you in serious pain like I am, you're not alone and it does happen with this condition.

Comment from: s saxena, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I have painful menses since starting. At the age of 21 or 22 I felt sharp pain in right side lower abdomen just after periods. My friend and I thought it may be related to ovulation. But it was continuous every period. I had started something moving in my right lower abdomen and sometime passing air (bubbling) in my abdominal cavity. At the age of 39, I went to general physician, she asked me to get USG (ultrasonography) done, and then 2 small intramural fibroids were found. She said it's ok. On November 14 I had started heavy bleeding with clots. Then I visited a gynecologist and she suggested me for USG and TSH. The fibroids had doubled in their size. It's going to be near about 7 months and I'm on tablet Primolut N (15 days), tablet Trenaxa and tablet Meftal Spas. I bleed badly during my periods. Now my doctor has suggested me to go for laparoscopic myomectomy. I don't know what to do.

Comment from: sgordon, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 24

I am 34 years old, and about 4 months ago started experiencing longer and heavier periods. As the days would go by I started having very large blood clots and my periods would last a little over two weeks, maybe even 3. I noticed some extreme weight loss that prompted me to go to the doctor. My blood work came back and my hemoglobin was at a 3.49. I can't explain all the effects but shortness of breath, pressure on my bladder and dizziness were a few among them. I had a biopsy done to rule out cancer, and I am still waiting on the results. My uterine fibroid is 8 cm and I have to have surgery to have it removed. A little scared, yes I am. This was a close call and I am glad I caught it when I did.

Comment from: me, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I am a 45 year old mother of four. I had my first period at 9. I began having large clots (quarter sized) and heavy periods around 40 years of age. I thought that I may be starting menopause but was tested and hormones were good. Then I started having very cold calf on my left leg. After about a year I mentioned it to my obstetrician/gynecologist, because it felt like pinched nerve. I have been told since 2003 that my uterus is enlarged. Now I rarely have clots, but have a lot of days where I have spotting. Just panty liner and annoying! I do exercise and eat a strict diet, yet I have gained 15 lb. in 2 years. My periods last 9 to 11 days and are heavy for about 4 of those days. Recently, I ache in my lower left back and involuntarily urinate often. Even in my sleep once! Two weeks ago they did ultrasound and found the cyst. They did not tell me the size. She put me on birth control to regulate. I have never been able to take birth control, but I am tired of bleeding, so I am sticking it out for a month. Since the pills, I ache more and still spot especially after exercise and sex.

Uterine Fibroids - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with uterine fibroids (benign tumors of the uterus).
Uterine Fibroids - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your uterine fibroids
Uterine Fibroids - Surgery Question: If you had surgery to remove fibroids, describe the procedure. Are you satisfied with the results?
Uterine Fibroids - Diagnosis Question: What were the tests and exams that led to a diagnosis of uterine fibroids?