Patient Comments: Uterine Fibroids - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your uterine fibroids?

Comment from: 13323, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 29

I was diagnosed with a uterine fibroid when I was 38. I had very heavy bleeding, and blood clots during my period. I switched from birth control pills to a Mirena IUD, and that helped a lot. I'm now 48.

Comment from: Donna, 45-54 Female Published: July 12

I am 45 years old and was just told I have uterine fibroids. I am not sure how severe they are. The funny thing is, is that I do not have much for bleeding with them. I have had lots of cramping and that is why my doctor ordered an MRI (I had an ultrasound and nothing showed up on there). This month I had no spotting, but the cramp doubled me over in pain. That is when we got the results of the MRI. Now what to do? I do not want a hysterectomy. I sure hope I have other options. Guess we will see.

Comment from: jamaica2004, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 08

I'm a 29 year old, African American female. I had heavy bleeding; menstrual cycle lasted 5 to 7 days. Had bad cramping, lower back pain, frequent urination and pain during intercourse. It took me some time to put the symptoms together. When the painful intercourse became an issue, I met with my OBGYN. I had 5 fibroids, one of which was in the uterine lining. I had a D & C procedure done, however the length of my cycle has increased to about 8 days, 7 of which is very heavy bleeding. Not sure if this is normal but its freaking me out. My mother and her three sisters have had hysterectomies due to fibroids. And to note, I would like to have children. I hope having this procedure done, doesn't hurt my chances of conceiving.

Comment from: lea, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 02

I had fibroid tumors in my early 30s by 36. Thank god I had a great doctor because the pain became unbearable. I had 7 outpatient surgery's and now I am 47 an it's been the best 10 years of my life pain free!!

Comment from: tdlittle, 25-34 Female Published: October 20

I found out I had fibrosis this past summer. I soak through multiple super napkins within an hour. I thought I was miscarrying every time the pain was so intense there is so much clotting and blood. When my cycle is on I'm out of work 2-3 days bound and incapacitated with heating pad and pain medication. Surgery is my option but my husband and I are trying to conceive.

Published: October 17

I am 35 year old, and just found out I have several fibroid tumors. I read up on the symptoms and realized that I have been having fibroid for a long time and never knew it. I have very bad pelvic pain; pressure on my bladder, frequent urination can't hold it. Also constipation, back pain and bad menstrual cramps. In a few days I see a specialist. I don't know what to do. I don't want a hysterectomy. Need advice.

Comment from: 45-54 Female Published: August 17

I am 49 and have been living with fibroids for 6 years. They showed no symptoms for the first couple of years but now they're making my life miserable! I have 4 and they cause me a lot of pelvic pain and swelling and bloating. I'm a small woman and have always worked out and tried to eat healthy...Now I look like I'm 5 months pregnant! I'm sick of the pain, heavy bleeding and bloating...

Comment from: Chrissy Chris, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

I am 50 years and I have been dealing with uterine fibroids for a few years now, I dread the days when my period is near, and I am also playing the waiting game hoping menopause is around the corner, my doctor suggest surgery, but my instincts say no, so I use Trihemic because of the excessive blood lost during my period I need iron supplement. Sometimes I think this is too much to bear, but I have a bad 2 days the 2nd and 3rd and I manage the other 3 days nicely.

Uterine Fibroids - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with uterine fibroids (benign tumors of the uterus).
Uterine Fibroids - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your uterine fibroids
Uterine Fibroids - Surgery Question: If you had surgery to remove fibroids, describe the procedure. Are you satisfied with the results?
Uterine Fibroids - Diagnosis Question: What were the tests and exams that led to a diagnosis of uterine fibroids?