Patient Comments: Uterine Fibroids - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your uterine fibroids?

Comment from: natalie12499, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

I had 7 uterine fibroids and was in severe pain including inability to rest well, severe frequent urination, anemia, heavy periods, swollen abdomen, etc. I finally went and had a hysterectomy and found out the largest of the seven was the size of a grapefruit! It was the best thing I ever did! I got my life back and the procedure was a breeze! I had an abdominal hysterectomy and it took roughly three weeks to heal well enough to return to normal activities so not too bad. Doing great now!

Comment from: junger77, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 02

I have been struggling with uterine fibroids for the last 2 years. Back pain is almost unbearable at times, lower abdomal pains, constipatation, bloating, tiredness etc. My doctor ordered a colonoscopy and I went through a series of tests. It became a hardship on my marriage due to me not wanting to be intimate and tests were showing nothing. So this week I woke up to a puddle of blood and have been bleeding horribly and had my period 2 weeks ago. Went to my family doctor and she thought I had a miscarrage and ordered tests. Turned out to be uterine fribroids. On one hand I feel liberated now that I know what I am up against and on the other hand fearful of decisions I need to make at 44 yrs old. I meet with the specialist soon.

Comment from: Luna9112, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 25

I have recently been diagnosed with uterine fibroids found by ultrasound due to increasing pelvic pain before, during after menses. I have started getting my period 1-2x's per month with no rhyme or reason. Usually the pain wakes me in the middle of the night. It is so bad for the 3 days of heavy bleeding that I cannot find anything to help with the pain that allows me to get back to sleep. I am wondering if anyone has any wisdom of what to take, Aleve does not do anything, and over the counter meds don't begin to alleviate the pain.

Comment from: freeme, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

I am 35 years old and I have already done two shots of Lupron Depot due to my uterine fibroids. I am losing my hair. I am very nervous and need some reassurance from someone who has already experienced this.

Comment from: Beth, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 07

I am a 42 year old white woman with two teenagers. I have had increasingly heavier periods for the last 6 or 7 years. I also pass huge blood clots and have severe pain and pressure in my rectum during my periods. I was diagnosed with anemia two years ago and there was never a reason found by my regular doctor so I assumed it was from my heavy periods. A year and a half ago, after a period, I cried for six days, I suddenly stopped having periods. I knew this was irregular but I was so relieved that I didn't worry about it. I went from excruciating, long, and heavy periods to no blood flow at all - until 6 months later when I had a period I seriously felt like I could die from. Since then, just spotting: every day; sometimes like a light period flow, sometimes just a watery bloody discharge, and a few times, clots. I have not been to my gynecologist in six years. I know this is terrible and I have made an appointment.

Comment from: hurting in kc, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 07

I am a 42 year old African American woman and I've known that I had uterine fibroids for the last 3 years. Just a few months ago I started to notice a change in my periods. I have heavy bleeding but nothing to really worry about until last month, when I felt pressure on my rectum. I know the uterine fibroids have gotten bigger. My problem is now I just started a new job and the insurance has not kicked in until like July of 2012. I just pray that I can make to that time before I have a hysterectomy. My mother, sister, and several of my cousins all had a hysterectomy at a young age.

Comment from: Patty, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 07

I am 45 years old and my doctor wanted to use the Lupron injections for my uterine fibroids, but my instincts are that I need surgery. I have a high tolerance for pain and during and after my period I cannot bend over, my hips hurt, my sciatic nerve kills me, I cannot roll over in my sleep without crying out, I certainly cannot lay on my back, I get constipated, and walk around feeling like I am carrying a 20 pound child. My ankles are swollen and I have put on 30 pounds in the last 9 months. That's it, I have convinced myself I'm going to the doctor again!

Uterine Fibroids - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with uterine fibroids (benign tumors of the uterus).
Uterine Fibroids - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your uterine fibroids
Uterine Fibroids - Surgery Question: If you had surgery to remove fibroids, describe the procedure. Are you satisfied with the results?
Uterine Fibroids - Diagnosis Question: What were the tests and exams that led to a diagnosis of uterine fibroids?