Patient Comments: Uterine Fibroids - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your uterine fibroids?

Published: October 17

I am 35 year old, and just found out I have several fibroid tumors. I read up on the symptoms and realized that I have been having fibroid for a long time and never knew it. I have very bad pelvic pain; pressure on my bladder, frequent urination can't hold it. Also constipation, back pain and bad menstrual cramps. In a few days I see a specialist. I don't know what to do. I don't want a hysterectomy. Need advice.

Comment from: 45-54 Female Published: August 17

I am 49 and have been living with fibroids for 6 years. They showed no symptoms for the first couple of years but now they're making my life miserable! I have 4 and they cause me a lot of pelvic pain and swelling and bloating. I'm a small woman and have always worked out and tried to eat healthy...Now I look like I'm 5 months pregnant! I'm sick of the pain, heavy bleeding and bloating...

Comment from: Chrissy Chris, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

I am 50 years and I have been dealing with uterine fibroids for a few years now, I dread the days when my period is near, and I am also playing the waiting game hoping menopause is around the corner, my doctor suggest surgery, but my instincts say no, so I use Trihemic because of the excessive blood lost during my period I need iron supplement. Sometimes I think this is too much to bear, but I have a bad 2 days the 2nd and 3rd and I manage the other 3 days nicely.

Comment from: sandra, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 05

I am 47 years old and was diagnosed with uterine fibroids in 1999. My MD suggested if they don't bother me we wouldn't bother them. Well now I have a period every two weeks, cramping, frequent urination, clots and to make matters worse I have a new 38 year old husband and its interfering with our wonderful sex life. I don't want a hysterectomy so I'm going to go for the UFE. I hope that I make the right choice and get good support from my MD.

Published: June 02

Because of uterine fibroids, I have had heavy bleeding and blood clots for seven weeks. I am tired, anemic, and crampy. Doctor put me on birth contol 2 weeks ago, but still bleeding. I am 49.

Comment from: LoveWilson, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I've 46 years and have been on my period since age 10. Starting at age 35 I began getting hot and sweating. About 13 years ago due to a miscarriage I had my tubes and left ovary removed. Since then I've been going through hell bleeding 10 days, getting hot/cold and sweating like a camel in the desert. My new Doctor has found fibroids the size of oranges so the back pain, swelling and others symptoms will be gone with surgery this month removing my Uterus, fibroids and my right ovary. Hang in there ladies.

Comment from: Veronica, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I am a 33 year old african american female. I was diagnosed with uterine fibroids in 2009. My fibroids are located in the wall of my uterus. So far I have not had any major problems. I do suffer from tiredness, bloating, frequent urination, which seems like the main problem, my pressure on my bladder, hot and cold flashes,longer periods, sometimes pain during sex depending on position. My doctor prescribed birth control therapy and are keeping an eye on them. I am really tired of having periods, but I do not want a hysterectomy.I found out that my grandmother had fibroids in her thirties and had a hysterectomy, my aunt is 45 years old recently found out she has uterine fibroids and my mom is going through tests to find out if she has them.

Comment from: theresa, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I'm 22 years old and last year I was told that I had utrine fibroids, endometroisis and enlarged arteries. It has been a year now and I have been on shots to help but the effects of the shot caused harm to my health. I have constant pain in my lower tummy and it feels like there is a heaviness that presses on my bladder, and the bottom of my tummy above the pelvic area. I'm going to a specialist to see if I am eligible for a hysterectomy.

Uterine Fibroids - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with uterine fibroids (benign tumors of the uterus).
Uterine Fibroids - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your uterine fibroids
Uterine Fibroids - Surgery Question: If you had surgery to remove fibroids, describe the procedure. Are you satisfied with the results?
Uterine Fibroids - Diagnosis Question: What were the tests and exams that led to a diagnosis of uterine fibroids?