Patient Comments: Uterine Fibroids - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your uterine fibroids?

Comment from: JadedAryz, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 05

I'm a 28 year old mother of two (both c-sec). I found the fibroids in June of this year from heavy bleeding and clotting. The first doctor said I had two and they were both 2cm. Then I went to a second doctor and she said I have four and they are over 3cm. But she still says I shouldn't be having severe pain or bleeding . If I do anything during the day I can guarantee pain and bleeding in the evening even though I had the Depo shot and am now on 2 to 4 birth control pills a day so I don't bleed to death! I'm also anemic and on three iron pills a day. Life is sucking right now so I'm scheduled for an abdominal hysterectomy on Thanksgiving eve...

Comment from: mandy61381, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 11

I am a 31 year old woman who just recently went to the emergency room with severe pain in my lower pelvic area similar to the pain of child birth. I knew I wasn't pregnant since it's been 2 years since intercourse. I have been given Vicodin to deal with pain but hoping it will soon end. It's been 4 days now. I was told this will probably occur during each menstrual cycle.

Comment from: Airwmn, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 11

I am 36 years old and have had fibroids for over a year now, even though I was only officially diagnosed with them in July. I was having my period for two weeks, every two weeks on the dot. I was put on the pill at that time and it has regulated my period. Last night, I lost sleep due to right sided abdominal pain and have recently had back aches. I have two beautiful children and do not wish to have anymore. I am now torn as to whether to have a hysterectomy to get rid of the other symptoms I am currently having.

Comment from: westoz, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 04

I am 43 years old and have had very heavy periods for about four years. Sometimes with large clots and pain. About three years ago I went to the doctor after I had a period which lasted the normal seven days, then stopped for three days, then came back for four days, stopped for three days, came back for four days. It could have just gone on and on. It got to the point where I didn't want to get out of bed because of the flood that would occur when I stood up. The doctor put me on a birth control pill which was wonderful, but she didn't do any sort of examination and left town not long after. Two days ago I was in the city and went to a doctor that I have seen a few times to get a new prescription for the pill. I asked to have a pap smear as I haven't had one for a long time. While she was examining my pelvis she discovered my uterus was the same size as that of a woman who is 16 weeks pregnant! An urgent ultrasound was ordered and it was discovered that I have several large fibroids. This would explain the heavy bleeding, the occasional stabbing pain in my abdomen, the constant feeling of being bloated, needing to go to the bathroom urgently and the back pain. I'm thinking they have been growing for around seven years. I am going back next month to discuss with the doctor what my options are.

Comment from: sunshine24, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

I had heavy bleedings during my menstrual along with bleeding in between menses. Passed a blood clot so large that everyone thought I miscarried a baby...not to mention the fact that I always have the urge to urinate!!!!

Comment from: hillbilly, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

My doctor found three small uterine fibroid tumors, and I'm in menopause. My periods have been irregular. I'm 56. Last month my cycle stayed on for two weeks, stopped, then started spotting again. I had a test performed for cancer, and the test came back clear, no cancer. However, I have continued to spot. It has continued for two weeks now. I am scheduled to go back for another ultrasound. I am taking my iron supplements three times a day.

Comment from: Cin, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

I recently found out that I have a uterine fibroid. I was bleeding so heavily with a lot of clots due to this. I lost so much blood, being anemic, that I ended up having two transfusions just to bring my hemoglobin back to 100. (It dropped to 67.) I also had a D&C to clean out my womb and minimize the bleeding. It worked. The fibroid still remains. A hysterectomy is an option to remove it, but I am so young (only 33) and would like to have another child again. (I have two already.)

Uterine Fibroids - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with uterine fibroids (benign tumors of the uterus).
Uterine Fibroids - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your uterine fibroids
Uterine Fibroids - Surgery Question: If you had surgery to remove fibroids, describe the procedure. Are you satisfied with the results?
Uterine Fibroids - Diagnosis Question: What were the tests and exams that led to a diagnosis of uterine fibroids?