Patient Comments: Uterine Fibroids - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your uterine fibroids?

Comment from: hillbilly, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

My doctor found three small uterine fibroid tumors, and I'm in menopause. My periods have been irregular. I'm 56. Last month my cycle stayed on for two weeks, stopped, then started spotting again. I had a test performed for cancer, and the test came back clear, no cancer. However, I have continued to spot. It has continued for two weeks now. I am scheduled to go back for another ultrasound. I am taking my iron supplements three times a day.

Comment from: Cin, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

I recently found out that I have a uterine fibroid. I was bleeding so heavily with a lot of clots due to this. I lost so much blood, being anemic, that I ended up having two transfusions just to bring my hemoglobin back to 100. (It dropped to 67.) I also had a D&C to clean out my womb and minimize the bleeding. It worked. The fibroid still remains. A hysterectomy is an option to remove it, but I am so young (only 33) and would like to have another child again. (I have two already.)

Comment from: elianne, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 20

I am 28 years old. Three months ago, I was diagnosed with a uterine fibroid. I have severe back pain and heavy periods.

Comment from: 13323, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 29

I was diagnosed with a uterine fibroid when I was 38. I had very heavy bleeding, and blood clots during my period. I switched from birth control pills to a Mirena IUD, and that helped a lot. I'm now 48.

Comment from: Donna, 45-54 Female Published: July 12

I am 45 years old and was just told I have uterine fibroids. I am not sure how severe they are. The funny thing is, is that I do not have much for bleeding with them. I have had lots of cramping and that is why my doctor ordered an MRI (I had an ultrasound and nothing showed up on there). This month I had no spotting, but the cramp doubled me over in pain. That is when we got the results of the MRI. Now what to do? I do not want a hysterectomy. I sure hope I have other options. Guess we will see.

Comment from: jamaica2004, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 08

I'm a 29 year old, African American female. I had heavy bleeding; menstrual cycle lasted 5 to 7 days. Had bad cramping, lower back pain, frequent urination and pain during intercourse. It took me some time to put the symptoms together. When the painful intercourse became an issue, I met with my OBGYN. I had 5 fibroids, one of which was in the uterine lining. I had a D & C procedure done, however the length of my cycle has increased to about 8 days, 7 of which is very heavy bleeding. Not sure if this is normal but its freaking me out. My mother and her three sisters have had hysterectomies due to fibroids. And to note, I would like to have children. I hope having this procedure done, doesn't hurt my chances of conceiving.

Comment from: lea, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 02

I had fibroid tumors in my early 30s by 36. Thank god I had a great doctor because the pain became unbearable. I had 7 outpatient surgery's and now I am 47 an it's been the best 10 years of my life pain free!!

Comment from: tdlittle, 25-34 Female Published: October 20

I found out I had fibrosis this past summer. I soak through multiple super napkins within an hour. I thought I was miscarrying every time the pain was so intense there is so much clotting and blood. When my cycle is on I'm out of work 2-3 days bound and incapacitated with heating pad and pain medication. Surgery is my option but my husband and I are trying to conceive.

Uterine Fibroids - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with uterine fibroids (benign tumors of the uterus).
Uterine Fibroids - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your uterine fibroids
Uterine Fibroids - Surgery Question: If you had surgery to remove fibroids, describe the procedure. Are you satisfied with the results?
Uterine Fibroids - Diagnosis Question: What were the tests and exams that led to a diagnosis of uterine fibroids?