Patient Comments: Uterine Fibroids - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your uterine fibroids?

Comment from: stormee95, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

I am a 37-year-old African American female who was diagnosed with uterine fibroids at age 17. At that time, I had very heavy periods that were irregular with severe cramping and large clots. At that point, I was put on birth control (BC) pills, which got my cycle regular and lightened my periods. In my early 30s, my periods got heavier and my periods started lasting longer (spotting and bleeding for two weeks a month), even on the BC. In addition, I could feel pressure on my bladder and my colon. My symptoms were getting progressively worse, so I got UFE a couple of months ago. Since then, my periods are significantly lighter and the bladder and colon pressure are not noticeable.

Comment from: mrs.ramesh, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I'm a 40 years old woman and a mother of 13and 10 years old boys, with uterine fibroid of about 3cms. I don't have any symptoms of the fibroid.

Comment from: Spytech12001, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I was diagnosed with uterine fibroids three years ago. I had a myomectomy to remove the fibroid. Last year, I had spotting and painful irregular periods. I went to the doctor and learned I was pregnant. However, upon having a pregnancy exam it was determined that I had developed four fibroids, and that my baby was not alive.

Comment from: nolagirl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

I will be 44 this month. I have constant aching and cramping (even when I'm not on my cycle). Over the past year, my symptoms have gotten worse and worse. Last month I hemmorhaged for over a week, passing clots the size of the bottom of a water bottle, and developed severe anemia. I ended up needing a blood transfusion due to a critically low hemoglobin count. I went to a doctor for a second opinion when I wasn't getting any "real" answers from my original doctor. The new doctor found 2 uterine fibroids. Finally an answer to why I was having all the problems I was. Trying the birth control route first to see if it helps. So far (a month), I'm still in agony and JUST stopped bleeding after 31 days. I'm thinking surgery may be my best route. I can't live like this much longer.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

I am a 41 year old white female. I was diagnosed with uterine fibroids in July 2013. I was told I have several tumors. I feel terrible. I have very irregular periods, one month 3 periods in one month the next month spotted for a couple of days then the next month I was very very heavy for about a week. I have severe cramps all the time. Nothing relieves them. I have an appt soon to discuss how to remove them.

Comment from: MSNIKKI8180, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

Hello my name is Nicole. I have recently been told by a doctor that i have several fibroids on my uterus .i have been try to fight the severe pain. But today i cant take it no longer. I cramp heavily through my menstrual cycle. My stomach tighten up as if i am in delivery or something. I stay having back aches and stomach pain. I lay down thinking that it would ease my pain but nothing seems to work. I am scared to have any type of surgery. Is there anything else that i can do or take to get rid of my pains?

Comment from: jd, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

Heavy bleeding on the first two days of my period, bloating that made me look like if i was pregnant having a feeling of movement in my stomach when i knew that i was not pregnant.

Comment from: MsShon75, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 28

I was told that I have two uterine fibroids a little over a year ago. They were painful then, but now the pain is unbearable. I was told last year that they were the size of plums, but I feel they have may have gotten bigger. Now, with the pain, I feel intense pressure. I experience heavy bleeding and extremely painful cramps during my period. I occasionally spot in between my periods. Today, I experienced something unusual. With the pain of the fibroids, sharp pains began to shoot down my right leg. This has never happened before. I am scheduled to go back to my OB/GYN in August. What can I do until then?

Uterine Fibroids - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with uterine fibroids (benign tumors of the uterus).
Uterine Fibroids - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your uterine fibroids
Uterine Fibroids - Surgery Question: If you had surgery to remove fibroids, describe the procedure. Are you satisfied with the results?
Uterine Fibroids - Diagnosis Question: What were the tests and exams that led to a diagnosis of uterine fibroids?