Patient Comments: Uterine Fibroids - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your uterine fibroids?

Comment from: bus driver, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 06

I am a 42 year old female who has been diagnosed with seven fibroids. I am constantly in severe pain since three months now. I tried birth control pills which made it worse and now the doctor wants to try IUD. I am missing work and daily activities due to severe rectum, right side pelvis pain. My next doctor appointment, I am requesting a hysterectomy.

Comment from: Coco Cola, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

I am a 43 year old woman just diagnosed with 5 fibroids. I have zero symptoms, they were discovered during my yearly Pap smear via ultrasound. I've been trying to get pregnant for the past 15 to 18 months, I'm now wondering if this has been the issue.

Comment from: Sandy, 75 or over (Caregiver) Published: May 01

My 80 year old mother, who has dementia, has been diagnosed with fibroids. My mother almost never had annual Pap smears. The obstetrician/gynecologist stated that they have probably been there for almost 40 years without her knowing. She would not allow him to examine her so that he can determine what procedure is required, however; more than likely a hysterectomy is needed because she"s having some cramping and spotting. Her regular doctor doesn"t believe her body is strong enough to withstand that type of surgery. So when she cramps at times, I give her Aleve to relieve the pain. I feel helpless to see her this way being able to do nothing.

Comment from: Lost 42, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I am 42 years old, I was just diagnosed with uterine fibroids. My symptoms were missed periods in between, and severe abdominal pain; my abdomen was so distended it hurt so bad just to move. The emergency room doctor said I have 1 12.3 centimeter, 1 4.5 centimeter 2 other fibroids and a bunch of multiple little ones. I was told a hysterectomy was needed as well. A friend mentioned that they can even just go in and remove the fibroids and not the uterus.

Comment from: denise, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

From the month of May I have had abnormal bleeding, two weeks at a time, it's very scary. Symptoms I am having are cramping, clotting and bleeding. I was diagnosed with uterine fibroids years ago... but never had this problem.

Comment from: Jen, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I am 25 years and married 6 months ago and was diagnosed with fibroid on the posterior side of my uterus, which is 6 cm. And my hemoglobin decreases every time I get my periods as it goes for 7 days with heavy bleeding for 5 days. I am still not conceived and want to.

Comment from: Jfromthed, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 10

I am a 42 year old African American woman who had a myomectomy in 2009 where 20 fibroids were removed. My periods went from super heavy seven days a week, every 15 days to 1 medium and 5 light days every 21 days. I suffered from anemia and had to have a blood transfusion. Unfortunately, fibroids have returned and my doctor and I are discussing whether or not to have a hysterectomy. A difficult decision as I have no children.

Comment from: T.W.1079, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I was told I was too young to be going through what I'm going through. I have uterine fibroids, and I'm 34 years old. My tubes are tied so I can't have any more children. I have my period every two weeks, and I'm anemic. I'm constantly in pain and it's taking over my life. So I'm getting surgery done on December 20, 2013 to get my life back.

Uterine Fibroids - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with uterine fibroids (benign tumors of the uterus).
Uterine Fibroids - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your uterine fibroids
Uterine Fibroids - Surgery Question: If you had surgery to remove fibroids, describe the procedure. Are you satisfied with the results?
Uterine Fibroids - Diagnosis Question: What were the tests and exams that led to a diagnosis of uterine fibroids?