Patient Comments: Uterine Fibroids - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your uterine fibroids?

Comment from: Jfromthed, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 10

I am a 42 year old African American woman who had a myomectomy in 2009 where 20 fibroids were removed. My periods went from super heavy seven days a week, every 15 days to 1 medium and 5 light days every 21 days. I suffered from anemia and had to have a blood transfusion. Unfortunately, fibroids have returned and my doctor and I are discussing whether or not to have a hysterectomy. A difficult decision as I have no children.

Comment from: T.W.1079, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I was told I was too young to be going through what I'm going through. I have uterine fibroids, and I'm 34 years old. My tubes are tied so I can't have any more children. I have my period every two weeks, and I'm anemic. I'm constantly in pain and it's taking over my life. So I'm getting surgery done on December 20, 2013 to get my life back.

Comment from: Bodyaches, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

Symptoms of my uterine fibroids include pelvic pain, whether with or without a period present, low back pain, and possible urination or rectum problems but that could be due to approaching menopause and hormonal changes. The thing I learned is make sure any pain you feel is related to your fibroids. Too often I think we tend to blame any symptom we have as fibroid related. Pain in my lower intestines (irritable bowel) is indigestion not fibroid pain.

Comment from: Elaine, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

I am a 39 year old African American woman who has several fibroids. I have periods that last from 7-13 days. I am clotting. Recently, I had pain that lasted a whole week. The pain wouldn't go away. The pain would be in my right side, right lower back and on my right pelvic bone. During this time, my period started up again when I had finished two weeks prior. My doctor wants me to have myomectomy to remove the fibroids since I haven't had any children. I have been told that the fibroids will grow back. If I am in pain again, I will have to have my uterus taken out. I just want to be pain free.

Comment from: wizatts, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I am a 22 year old white female and have 3 fibroids. My husband and I have been trying to conceive and I have been through 3 miscarriages. I have been urinating very frequently and always have that urge to go. Hopefully the surgery will be helpful.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I just turned 40 and am done having children. Recently at my annual pap and physical, my doctor was doing a pelvic exam and noticed that my uterus seemed enlarged. She sent me to get an ultrasound and a vaginal ultrasound and it was determined that I had at least one large fibroid. She told me not to be too worried but we will keep an eye on it and follow up with another ultrasound in 8 weeks. I don't really have any severe pain but I do bleed quite heavily and have occasional spotting in between my periods. Let's hope the New Year brings great news!!

Comment from: stormee95, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

I am a 37-year-old African American female who was diagnosed with uterine fibroids at age 17. At that time, I had very heavy periods that were irregular with severe cramping and large clots. At that point, I was put on birth control (BC) pills, which got my cycle regular and lightened my periods. In my early 30s, my periods got heavier and my periods started lasting longer (spotting and bleeding for two weeks a month), even on the BC. In addition, I could feel pressure on my bladder and my colon. My symptoms were getting progressively worse, so I got UFE a couple of months ago. Since then, my periods are significantly lighter and the bladder and colon pressure are not noticeable.

Comment from: mrs.ramesh, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I'm a 40 years old woman and a mother of 13and 10 years old boys, with uterine fibroid of about 3cms. I don't have any symptoms of the fibroid.

Uterine Fibroids - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with uterine fibroids (benign tumors of the uterus).
Uterine Fibroids - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your uterine fibroids
Uterine Fibroids - Surgery Question: If you had surgery to remove fibroids, describe the procedure. Are you satisfied with the results?
Uterine Fibroids - Diagnosis Question: What were the tests and exams that led to a diagnosis of uterine fibroids?