Patient Comments: Uterine Fibroids - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your uterine fibroids?

Comment from: s saxena, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I have painful menses since starting. At the age of 21 or 22 I felt sharp pain in right side lower abdomen just after periods. My friend and I thought it may be related to ovulation. But it was continuous every period. I had started something moving in my right lower abdomen and sometime passing air (bubbling) in my abdominal cavity. At the age of 39, I went to general physician, she asked me to get USG (ultrasonography) done, and then 2 small intramural fibroids were found. She said it's ok. On November 14 I had started heavy bleeding with clots. Then I visited a gynecologist and she suggested me for USG and TSH. The fibroids had doubled in their size. It's going to be near about 7 months and I'm on tablet Primolut N (15 days), tablet Trenaxa and tablet Meftal Spas. I bleed badly during my periods. Now my doctor has suggested me to go for laparoscopic myomectomy. I don't know what to do.

Comment from: sgordon, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 24

I am 34 years old, and about 4 months ago started experiencing longer and heavier periods. As the days would go by I started having very large blood clots and my periods would last a little over two weeks, maybe even 3. I noticed some extreme weight loss that prompted me to go to the doctor. My blood work came back and my hemoglobin was at a 3.49. I can't explain all the effects but shortness of breath, pressure on my bladder and dizziness were a few among them. I had a biopsy done to rule out cancer, and I am still waiting on the results. My uterine fibroid is 8 cm and I have to have surgery to have it removed. A little scared, yes I am. This was a close call and I am glad I caught it when I did.

Comment from: Discovery, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 22

I'm 45 years old and about 6 to 7 years back, during a routine physical, a nurse practitioner discovered I had uterine fibroids. I then had an ultrasound done and it was confirmed. I was then told that I needed a hysterectomy. I refused. I got a second opinion who said surgery could be done without a hysterectomy. I had the surgery and all went well. During the middle of this year (2014) I noticed that I was getting heavy bleeding again (including blood clots), but I also noticed that they came during the same time that I drank enormous amounts of soda and caffeine products (like ice tea, etc.); so I decided to do a science experiment on myself. For a whole month I would deliberately drink sodas to see what would happen during my next menstrual cycle and then the following month I wouldn't touch any caffeine products at all. Oh my goodness! The caffeine was contributing towards my fibroid growth. During the month of no caffeine, no large blood clots. No excruciating pain. I'm now about to have surgery to get some fibroids removed. Afterwards, I'm going to keep watch on my menstrual cycles for the entire year (no caffeine of course). I'll keep you all updated. Please also try the science experiment for yourself and share your results with the rest of us. I was wondering if different body types, race, or culture made a difference. I'm an African American female with 2 children, no abortions, 16 years of no sex (celibate life), overall good health, and no family history of fibroids. I hope that this information can be a help to you all.

Comment from: Nana B, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I am going through menopause and take a natural troche of progesterone/triest 100/2.5 for hot flashes. I have not had a cycle in 7 years. I started spotting last May for 3 to 4 days, and then again in June. This continued every month with the spotting getting a little more. Then this year in April I just continued spotting with a few clots. About the 40th day I started heavy bleeding and clotting and this lasted 3 days. I had a pelvic ultra sound and found I had uterine fibroids and the doctor took me off my troches. I haven't spotted in a week but my hot flashes are increasing daily. My doctor wants another ultra sound in 6 months, but I sure don't want to go 6 months without something for my hot flashes! I had some abdominal cramping when I was bleeding, none right now.

Comment from: momoffour, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I was diagnosed a year ago with adenomyosis which caused similar symptoms. I had an endometrial ablation done years ago so I haven"t had a period since. Prior to the diagnosis of adenomyosis I had severe back pain around to my hips and down both thighs, pressure on my bowels and increased urine leaking. It was so bad I would lie in bed and cry. My gynecologist had me try the NuvaRing which did help but gave me horrible vaginal drainage constantly. I ended up in the emergency room recently with such severe abdominal pain that I couldn"t stand up. They diagnosed me with fibroids and I will see a new gynecologist this week. I am 47, have 4 (one step) beautiful kids and am considering having my uterus removed.

Uterine Fibroids - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with uterine fibroids (benign tumors of the uterus).
Uterine Fibroids - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your uterine fibroids
Uterine Fibroids - Surgery Question: If you had surgery to remove fibroids, describe the procedure. Are you satisfied with the results?
Uterine Fibroids - Diagnosis Question: What were the tests and exams that led to a diagnosis of uterine fibroids?