Patient Comments: Uterine Fibroids - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your uterine fibroids?

Comment from: Lost 42, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I am 42 years old, I was just diagnosed with uterine fibroids. My symptoms were missed periods in between, and severe abdominal pain; my abdomen was so distended it hurt so bad just to move. The emergency room doctor said I have 1 12.3 centimeter, 1 4.5 centimeter 2 other fibroids and a bunch of multiple little ones. I was told a hysterectomy was needed as well. A friend mentioned that they can even just go in and remove the fibroids and not the uterus.

Comment from: denise, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

From the month of May I have had abnormal bleeding, two weeks at a time, it's very scary. Symptoms I am having are cramping, clotting and bleeding. I was diagnosed with uterine fibroids years ago... but never had this problem.

Comment from: MrsQDragon, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

I am 41 years old and have never had children, would like to have the chance but wondering if I ever will now. I have had fibroids for about 10 or more years, when they were first diagnosed, I was given an IUS (intrauterine system) and told to hurry and have my family, as the only way they would treat them was by hysterectomy - at the time I was getting pain and heavy bleeding. It all calmed and as the IUS never made a difference to the fibroids which were 3-4cm in size, they removed the IUS and I tolerated symptoms. Over the last 18 months I started getting more pain including in my low back, heavier bleeding and then flooding. I asked to see another specialist who found that one fibroid was about 5cm size and the other about 12cm. He referred me for a UFE (uterine fibroid embolization). I am now 12 weeks post procedure, I have bled once since about 3 weeks ago and had several days of constant flooding then a few days of really heavy bleeding. I"m waiting to see what happens next but worried that I"m still getting a lot of pain and still feeling exhausted all the time. I was off of work for 3 months at the end of last year whilst waiting for the procedure and then getting over it and since the start of January have been on reduced hours. I also get severe lows in my mood as I move through my cycle, am being treated for depression and anxiety (possibly made worse by this condition) and am on iron supplements as I was found to have low iron stores heading toward anemia. I attended for my 3 month MRI scan earlier this week and am awaiting results and advice on what is happening. I don"t know if this is right to still be feeling so exhausted - I want to be back to the normal me.

Comment from: Worried, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I am 35 years old female and I have no kids. This is my second time around having fibroids. I had surgery in 2009 to remove them and then again got confirmation in 2013 that they had grown back. My symptoms have been nausea after eating, numbness in my right leg, bloated stomach and excessive urination. This whole ordeal is scary because I have never been pregnant and I don't know if I can have any babies.

Comment from: bus driver, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 06

I am a 42 year old female who has been diagnosed with seven fibroids. I am constantly in severe pain since three months now. I tried birth control pills which made it worse and now the doctor wants to try IUD. I am missing work and daily activities due to severe rectum, right side pelvis pain. My next doctor appointment, I am requesting a hysterectomy.

Comment from: Coco Cola, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

I am a 43 year old woman just diagnosed with 5 fibroids. I have zero symptoms, they were discovered during my yearly Pap smear via ultrasound. I've been trying to get pregnant for the past 15 to 18 months, I'm now wondering if this has been the issue.

Comment from: Jen, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I am 25 years and married 6 months ago and was diagnosed with fibroid on the posterior side of my uterus, which is 6 cm. And my hemoglobin decreases every time I get my periods as it goes for 7 days with heavy bleeding for 5 days. I am still not conceived and want to.

Uterine Fibroids - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with uterine fibroids (benign tumors of the uterus).
Uterine Fibroids - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your uterine fibroids
Uterine Fibroids - Surgery Question: If you had surgery to remove fibroids, describe the procedure. Are you satisfied with the results?
Uterine Fibroids - Diagnosis Question: What were the tests and exams that led to a diagnosis of uterine fibroids?