Patient Comments: Uterine Fibroids - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your uterine fibroids?

Comment from: Discovery, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 22

I'm 45 years old and about 6 to 7 years back, during a routine physical, a nurse practitioner discovered I had uterine fibroids. I then had an ultrasound done and it was confirmed. I was then told that I needed a hysterectomy. I refused. I got a second opinion who said surgery could be done without a hysterectomy. I had the surgery and all went well. During the middle of this year (2014) I noticed that I was getting heavy bleeding again (including blood clots), but I also noticed that they came during the same time that I drank enormous amounts of soda and caffeine products (like ice tea, etc.); so I decided to do a science experiment on myself. For a whole month I would deliberately drink sodas to see what would happen during my next menstrual cycle and then the following month I wouldn't touch any caffeine products at all. Oh my goodness! The caffeine was contributing towards my fibroid growth. During the month of no caffeine, no large blood clots. No excruciating pain. I'm now about to have surgery to get some fibroids removed. Afterwards, I'm going to keep watch on my menstrual cycles for the entire year (no caffeine of course). I'll keep you all updated. Please also try the science experiment for yourself and share your results with the rest of us. I was wondering if different body types, race, or culture made a difference. I'm an African American female with 2 children, no abortions, 16 years of no sex (celibate life), overall good health, and no family history of fibroids. I hope that this information can be a help to you all.

Comment from: Nana B, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I am going through menopause and take a natural troche of progesterone/triest 100/2.5 for hot flashes. I have not had a cycle in 7 years. I started spotting last May for 3 to 4 days, and then again in June. This continued every month with the spotting getting a little more. Then this year in April I just continued spotting with a few clots. About the 40th day I started heavy bleeding and clotting and this lasted 3 days. I had a pelvic ultra sound and found I had uterine fibroids and the doctor took me off my troches. I haven't spotted in a week but my hot flashes are increasing daily. My doctor wants another ultra sound in 6 months, but I sure don't want to go 6 months without something for my hot flashes! I had some abdominal cramping when I was bleeding, none right now.

Comment from: momoffour, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I was diagnosed a year ago with adenomyosis which caused similar symptoms. I had an endometrial ablation done years ago so I haven"t had a period since. Prior to the diagnosis of adenomyosis I had severe back pain around to my hips and down both thighs, pressure on my bowels and increased urine leaking. It was so bad I would lie in bed and cry. My gynecologist had me try the NuvaRing which did help but gave me horrible vaginal drainage constantly. I ended up in the emergency room recently with such severe abdominal pain that I couldn"t stand up. They diagnosed me with fibroids and I will see a new gynecologist this week. I am 47, have 4 (one step) beautiful kids and am considering having my uterus removed.

Comment from: scarygirl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I was just diagnosed with a fibroid that is 9 cm, the doctor said that it is like I am 4 month pregnant. He said that it is the size of a new born baby"s head. He said that I have to have a hysterectomy but I am very scared to do this. I am trying to hold off as long as I can. The pain is not that bad and is only during that time of the month. The bleeding is very bad during the second day. I leave work because the bleeding is very heavy with clots the size of a chicken breast. I know that I have to have the surgery soon. I am so mad because I have my routine checkup every year and this was never caught, I can"t believe that the doctor did not see this, I mean this fibroid is way too big.

Comment from: Alma, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I am 25 years of age. I went to the gynecologist who told me I have a huge mass that's bigger than my uterus. I'm not sure what kind of treatment we are going for since I just learned about it yesterday. I have pain/pressure on my right ovary when I have intercourse, lift heavy stuff, before and after my period, and when my bladder is full.

Comment from: leah, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

I'm 42 years old, diagnosed with fibroids 5 years ago but it never really bothered me. I had the uterine embolization a year ago, I decided to get it done because the fibroids grew a lot. Everything went well, however, I need to undergo hysterectomy because it's growing again and I cannot sleep well due to dull pain on my lower back and cramps. I am diabetic and according to my gynecologist the fibroids are really low and really close to my ureter. A urologist will be in the operating room to make sure everything will be ok. It will be an abdominal partial hysterectomy, leaving the ovaries and cervix intact. The robotic procedure will not be advisable because of the large fibroid size. I need to get my diabetes under control before I get the surgery. Hoping for the best and looking forward to a cramp free and good night's sleep.

Uterine Fibroids - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with uterine fibroids (benign tumors of the uterus).
Uterine Fibroids - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your uterine fibroids
Uterine Fibroids - Surgery Question: If you had surgery to remove fibroids, describe the procedure. Are you satisfied with the results?
Uterine Fibroids - Diagnosis Question: What were the tests and exams that led to a diagnosis of uterine fibroids?