Patient Comments: Uterine Fibroids - Experience

Please describe your experience with uterine fibroids (benign tumors of the uterus).

Comment from: lg, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I have had uterine fibroids for a while now. My mom had them also. I had an open myomectomy surgery in 2007. My doctor took out 21 small fibroids. He left some because they were by blood vessels. I had a baby in 2010, I nursed, and once the child turned 6 months, the cycles started back. It was a disaster, like a crime scene. While lying down, the blood builds up, and once I stand up, it"s all over. The blood clots are huge, I hate them. I later got back on the pill, to help regulate my cycles. I did not want to do that, after taking them for 15 years, and then 5 years later, taking them again. The blood is still heavy, but not as much. I don"t have as many accidents. I just hate to sneeze or stand, after sitting long periods of time. I do want to have another child. So now I"m just waiting, still taking the pill. Afterwards, I would like to have a hysterectomy. I"m tired of these fibroids. I don"t have many cramps, but they are just irritating.

Comment from: Sholanda, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

I found out that I had uterine fibroids two years ago at the age of 37. The pain is sometimes a bit tolerable, but then there are times when the pain is just unbearable. I had a horrible pain episode a couple of days ago. I literally had to crouch down on all fours and breathe as if I was having a baby, just to get some relief. It also made me very nauseous. Pain medication doesn't really help much.

Comment from: Ronda, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 24

I am a 41 year old woman, who was recently diagnosed with uterine fibroids. Like many of you, I have experienced pelvic pain for quite some time now. Lately, I have experienced increased menstrual cycles and spotting, in addition to pressure by my rectum (which I just found out is a symptom as well). Though I had high risk pregnancies, I have 2 children and lost one (with the two living I barely made it to the 7th month and the one I lost I was 20 weeks). At this point, I am not looking to have any more children and would prefer to have a hysterectomy - I guess my worry with that is most people I know who have had the surgery experience problems with weight gain.

Comment from: Going through it, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I"m 30 and found out about my fibroids months after I turned 30. I"ve been seeing a gynecologist faithfully every 6 months and now she sees them. My menstrual period was always 7 days but as I got older it started to get heavy, and I started to get really bad back pain. After I turned 30 I started to see spots for a couple of days. I told my gynecologist, had the ultrasound and they found one fibroid that was 2 cm and then a few little ones. She prescribed me birth control, the lowest one and the first month I was ok, but by the 2nd month I started spotting again, and now for longer days, like 10 days now; and my period isn"t here yet. I do get pain on my left side, which is where the fibroid is located and I get pain and pressure as if I want to use the bathroom, or something is just pushing with pain. I take Motrin but it only works for a certain time. My mom made me some bush tea and the pain is gone but, now I'm bleeding more than usual. I don"t know what to do. I started to change my diet, I eat more fish and fruits and vegetables. I stopped eating meat. I reduced my sugar intake and am even trying to do a detox to better myself because I do not want to keep feeding this thing. I want to have kids one day and this is not looking good. My mother and aunts on both sides of my parents all had a hysterectomy. I only have one maternal aunt who didn"t have any kids because she had it the worst. She had fibroids twice and lost her baby twice. I am every day hoping I get better or that something works, or to at least one day still bear a child.

Comment from: Yakov, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 08

I been suffering with uterine fibroids (UF) my entire life it seems. As a teenager, I avoided activities because I bleed heavily which decreased my confidence. I have been through several D&C and uterine artery embolization (UAE) and UF continue to grow. Recently, I have been experiencing the same lower back pain, heavy bleeding, spotting all month, the mood swings, sore breast and pelvis area. I went to the gynecologist and was ordered a hysterectomy. Currently I'm nervous about the surgery. However my mom, aunt, grandmother and great grandma, all had this surgery.

Comment from: tired of the bleedin, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

I have had my periods since January. In April I had to receive a blood transfusion because I lost so much blood. I have uterine fibroids. The bleeding stopped for two weeks and I am bleeding again, I was given birth control pills to help stop it but it slowed it down a little. I don't know what else to do, what I should ask my obstetrician/gynecologist as far as treatment.

Uterine Fibroids - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your uterine fibroids?
Uterine Fibroids - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your uterine fibroids
Uterine Fibroids - Surgery Question: If you had surgery to remove fibroids, describe the procedure. Are you satisfied with the results?
Uterine Fibroids - Diagnosis Question: What were the tests and exams that led to a diagnosis of uterine fibroids?