Patient Comments: Uterine Fibroids - Experience

Please describe your experience with uterine fibroids (benign tumors of the uterus).

Comment from: shannon m, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 26

After dealing with heavy 7 day periods my whole life I started having severe constipation about 6 years ago. Then about 4 years ago I felt a mass in my lower body. When I lay on my back, instead of having a very flat stomach I had a protrusion. I went to the emergency room and they said I have fibroid tumors, biggest they ever saw. Now 4 years later they are huge, I look like I am 6 months pregnant. I haven't had sex in years, really don't want to because I am either always bleeding or feel just so awful sex would be the last thing I want. No kids and likely won't have any (dating life is awful too). Try explaining why I am 46 and look like I'm pregnant. I have to eat very small meals because if I eat too much I feel so bad, there is just no more room left in my tiny body. The intense pressure, pain, and bloating are just the worst. No pain pill will help. I have to take laxatives just to be able to have a bowel movement and it feels like barbed wire is being pulled through my intestines. My buttock hurts from pushing, trying to have a bowel movement. This is a daily occurrence so my life is planned around going to the bathroom. I cannot use tampons anymore no room for one, so painful. I use giant maxi pads and it is a nightmare. I have periods that last 20 days or more. I cannot wear regular clothing anymore I have to wear maternity clothes because my uterus is about the size of a soccer ball. I am 5 ft 9 inches and weigh about 150. My normal weight should be 130 but I have stopped exercising due to pain and I have gained some weight. I'd say the tumors weigh about 5 of those pounds. When I lie on my back the pressure is so bad I can only take about 15 minutes. I cannot lie on my stomach at all. I have to sleep on my sides only. I have been told to have a hysterectomy but I don't have any family to care for me after surgery so I cannot do that. Plus I cannot miss that much work, I'd be homeless. I cannot do anything I used to, I can't lift weights, ride a bike, and I am always tired and out of breath at just walking a bit. I have been very active my whole life and never been overweight. I'm about 20 lb overweight and I feel awful. My ankles swell whether I stand or sit, they swell every day. My knees are starting to swell and hurt as well. These tumors are ruining my life. I am so miserable. I have to urinate every 5 minutes, I constantly feel like I am full to the brim. Always feel like I need to pass motion, but I can't.

Comment from: clotsfree, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

Ladies, I've been diagnosed with fibroids for over 2 years now. I have excessive bleeding and massive blood clots. Only recently by eliminating bread from my diet have the clots and excessive bleeding declined considerably. For me the culprit, I believe, is yeast.

Comment from: Patsy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

I was diagnosed 2 years ago with intramural fibroids. The doctor at that time had felt that a hysterectomy was not necessary and suggested an IUD (intrauterine device) to help with the pain and the bleeding. He stated that the fibroids were small. However after researching the IUD that he had prescribed me, I decided against it. I stopped taking Buscopan because it seemed I would bleed more after it ceased working; like gushing (sorry). And I had hoped the pain would subside. Fast forward to now, and this is my 2nd month in pain. This however is the worst. I am bleeding heavily and I feel pressure in my hips and back along with pelvis pain. I have taken today Tylenol 4S with no relief. It is labor without the gift of life. I can deal with this no longer.

Comment from: tiff ann ta, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

I am 29 years old with a large fibroid on my right side. It has caused heavy bleeding and a lot of pain over the past few months. I am in the process of scheduling a surgery and finally getting some relief. It has been a long road but ladies don't let your doctors push it off. Mine tried to, and now I can't wait to have this thing removed. The doctor has now put me on Tylenol with codeine for the pain as nothing else is working; don't let it get that far. This has negatively affected my life in every aspect and makes me feel sick all the time!

Comment from: kat, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 13

I'm 46 years old, and I found out that I have uterine fibroids. I have no heavy bleeding, no stomach pains, I now have a period only for 4 days, while I used to have it for 7 days. No spotting.

Uterine Fibroids - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your uterine fibroids?
Uterine Fibroids - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your uterine fibroids
Uterine Fibroids - Surgery Question: If you had surgery to remove fibroids, describe the procedure. Are you satisfied with the results?
Uterine Fibroids - Diagnosis Question: What were the tests and exams that led to a diagnosis of uterine fibroids?