Patient Comments: Uterine Fibroids - Experience

Please describe your experience with uterine fibroids (benign tumors of the uterus).

Comment from: Going through it, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I"m 30 and found out about my fibroids months after I turned 30. I"ve been seeing a gynecologist faithfully every 6 months and now she sees them. My menstrual period was always 7 days but as I got older it started to get heavy, and I started to get really bad back pain. After I turned 30 I started to see spots for a couple of days. I told my gynecologist, had the ultrasound and they found one fibroid that was 2 cm and then a few little ones. She prescribed me birth control, the lowest one and the first month I was ok, but by the 2nd month I started spotting again, and now for longer days, like 10 days now; and my period isn"t here yet. I do get pain on my left side, which is where the fibroid is located and I get pain and pressure as if I want to use the bathroom, or something is just pushing with pain. I take Motrin but it only works for a certain time. My mom made me some bush tea and the pain is gone but, now I'm bleeding more than usual. I don"t know what to do. I started to change my diet, I eat more fish and fruits and vegetables. I stopped eating meat. I reduced my sugar intake and am even trying to do a detox to better myself because I do not want to keep feeding this thing. I want to have kids one day and this is not looking good. My mother and aunts on both sides of my parents all had a hysterectomy. I only have one maternal aunt who didn"t have any kids because she had it the worst. She had fibroids twice and lost her baby twice. I am every day hoping I get better or that something works, or to at least one day still bear a child.

Comment from: Yakov, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 08

I been suffering with uterine fibroids (UF) my entire life it seems. As a teenager, I avoided activities because I bleed heavily which decreased my confidence. I have been through several D&C and uterine artery embolization (UAE) and UF continue to grow. Recently, I have been experiencing the same lower back pain, heavy bleeding, spotting all month, the mood swings, sore breast and pelvis area. I went to the gynecologist and was ordered a hysterectomy. Currently I'm nervous about the surgery. However my mom, aunt, grandmother and great grandma, all had this surgery.

Comment from: samu, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I was suffering from heavy periods and diagnosed with fibroids in ultrasonography 4 years back. Due to mixed suggestions I avoided the surgery, but I lost one of my kidney and other was only 30% functional. After surgery I am normal and function of my kidney is improved from 30% to 60%.

Comment from: janice, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

I am a 41 years old woman. I have been diagnosed with fibroids. The symptoms I have are spotting between menses, 37 days menses (from 28 days), two miscarriages, and painful intercourse. The likelihood of having a child is zero and telling my spouse who wants a child was the most terrible thing I had to do. I am not nervous about removing my uterus because my health is paramount to anything else. Despite being attractive and financially stable, one cannot help but feel helpless and hopeless as a woman. Yes, I have one child, but not being able to give your partner a child makes me feel less than a woman. The surgery is scheduled for March 21, 2014, thankfully, it's free in Canada. I will keep you posted. All but my fallopian tubes will remain.

Comment from: KC, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

For several years now, like many of you, I have suffered with uterine fibroids. One measured 12cm and was larger than my entire uterus. One was about 6cm, I don"t know how big or small the others measured. I"ve had heavy periods, terrible lower back pain, etc. In addition, I have multiple sclerosis. Together, my doctors had to find a way to help me. My gynecologist settled on the UFE, uterine fibroid embolism, as this procedure was a lot less invasive than a hysterectomy at this time. I had the procedure done on Monday. The pain during the first 24 hours was insurmountable! However, I honestly believe that this procedure will help me. I"m relatively ok at this point. I just can't seem to have a bowel movement as of yet. I"m very optimistic about this procedure.

Comment from: Maria, 55-64 (Patient) Published: April 16

I am a 60 year old lady and I'm having lower back pains and headaches frequently. I also experience a sticking pain around the area of my left breast that sometimes lasts very long, I was told by the doctor that I have small fibroids and spot sometimes. I am also diagnosed with gouty arthritis. I am very worried and would like to know why the headaches especially.

Uterine Fibroids - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your uterine fibroids?
Uterine Fibroids - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your uterine fibroids
Uterine Fibroids - Surgery Question: If you had surgery to remove fibroids, describe the procedure. Are you satisfied with the results?
Uterine Fibroids - Diagnosis Question: What were the tests and exams that led to a diagnosis of uterine fibroids?