Patient Comments: Uterine Fibroids - Experience

Please describe your experience with uterine fibroids (benign tumors of the uterus).

Comment from: Patsy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

I was diagnosed 2 years ago with intramural fibroids. The doctor at that time had felt that a hysterectomy was not necessary and suggested an IUD (intrauterine device) to help with the pain and the bleeding. He stated that the fibroids were small. However after researching the IUD that he had prescribed me, I decided against it. I stopped taking Buscopan because it seemed I would bleed more after it ceased working; like gushing (sorry). And I had hoped the pain would subside. Fast forward to now, and this is my 2nd month in pain. This however is the worst. I am bleeding heavily and I feel pressure in my hips and back along with pelvis pain. I have taken today Tylenol 4S with no relief. It is labor without the gift of life. I can deal with this no longer.

Comment from: tiff ann ta, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

I am 29 years old with a large fibroid on my right side. It has caused heavy bleeding and a lot of pain over the past few months. I am in the process of scheduling a surgery and finally getting some relief. It has been a long road but ladies don't let your doctors push it off. Mine tried to, and now I can't wait to have this thing removed. The doctor has now put me on Tylenol with codeine for the pain as nothing else is working; don't let it get that far. This has negatively affected my life in every aspect and makes me feel sick all the time!

Comment from: kat, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 13

I'm 46 years old, and I found out that I have uterine fibroids. I have no heavy bleeding, no stomach pains, I now have a period only for 4 days, while I used to have it for 7 days. No spotting.

Comment from: Jules, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

I am 50 years old and am having a hysterectomy in 2 days. While I am nervous about the surgery, I am also looking forward to it. With uterine fibroids I've had some very heavy periods with large clots, as well as one period that lasted for 2 months, non-stop. I am also experiencing low back pain and a great deal of bloating. I have gained about 30 pounds, but attribute most of this to my love of food and hatred of exercising. I am also on an antidepressant called imipramine, which lists weight gain as a side effect. I am hoping to lose some of this weight after I recuperate. I'm really hoping my uterus weighs about 30 pounds (highly unlikely, I know).

Comment from: Shocked, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

I just got my ultrasound results and my doctor told me I have fibroids in my uterus. I am shocked! I was bleeding heavily with large blood clots for 20 days. So scary. It would not stop bleeding. My period usually lasts for 7 days. I knew something was wrong, so I went to emergency. There they gave me tranexamic acid to stop the bleeding. Thank goodness for this. My next step is an MRI and then see a gynecologist to decide on the next step. I am taking iron pills in the meantime. We have a good health system here in Canada and I am in good hands. Just trying to deal with it. Oh boy!

Comment from: MRS.Shoto, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

I am a 29 year old female. I am having problems. I have been having a cycle for the last 4 months. I have been to the doctor and we have talked about it. He seems to only be concerned about my abnormal Pap smear result. I am nervous about uterine fibroids. I have stomach n back pains all the time. I am scheduled for an ultra sound on December 30, 2015.

Comment from: raad mm, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I have fibroid and it is large, 11 cm. I have bleeding after the end of menses and continue after menses. I took medication, with temporary effect. I started to drink warm water 3 to 4 cups every day before breakfast and eat after 40 minutes. After a few days the bleeding stopped and I continue till now on drinking water every day. The fibroid's size is the same but I hope it will decrease with time.

Uterine Fibroids - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your uterine fibroids?
Uterine Fibroids - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your uterine fibroids
Uterine Fibroids - Surgery Question: If you had surgery to remove fibroids, describe the procedure. Are you satisfied with the results?
Uterine Fibroids - Diagnosis Question: What were the tests and exams that led to a diagnosis of uterine fibroids?