Patient Comments: Uterine Fibroids - Experience

Please describe your experience with uterine fibroids (benign tumors of the uterus).

Comment from: kat, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 13

I'm 46 years old, and I found out that I have uterine fibroids. I have no heavy bleeding, no stomach pains, I now have a period only for 4 days, while I used to have it for 7 days. No spotting.

Comment from: Jules, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

I am 50 years old and am having a hysterectomy in 2 days. While I am nervous about the surgery, I am also looking forward to it. With uterine fibroids I've had some very heavy periods with large clots, as well as one period that lasted for 2 months, non-stop. I am also experiencing low back pain and a great deal of bloating. I have gained about 30 pounds, but attribute most of this to my love of food and hatred of exercising. I am also on an antidepressant called imipramine, which lists weight gain as a side effect. I am hoping to lose some of this weight after I recuperate. I'm really hoping my uterus weighs about 30 pounds (highly unlikely, I know).

Comment from: Shocked, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

I just got my ultrasound results and my doctor told me I have fibroids in my uterus. I am shocked! I was bleeding heavily with large blood clots for 20 days. So scary. It would not stop bleeding. My period usually lasts for 7 days. I knew something was wrong, so I went to emergency. There they gave me tranexamic acid to stop the bleeding. Thank goodness for this. My next step is an MRI and then see a gynecologist to decide on the next step. I am taking iron pills in the meantime. We have a good health system here in Canada and I am in good hands. Just trying to deal with it. Oh boy!

Comment from: Lela, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

I was diagnosed with fibroid in this last year because I had severe long bleeding and pain which led my doctor to do an ultrasound, and she discovered a fibroid. My doctor says the fibroid is on the exterior of my uterus and so is not causing the long bleeding but is causing pain. I have had every test available to find the reason for my long bleeding, 2 to 6 weeks at a time, but doctor says she doesn't know and it is not caused by the fibroid. I'm wondering why there is no answers to my problem. Perhaps it is possible the fibroid is really causing this.

Comment from: Bella, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

Over the past 10 years my periods were getting heavier and heavier to the point where I wasn't even able to leave the house for 5 days due to the extreme bleeding. I was also finding I was having a period for 10 to 13 days on top of the heavy bleeding. Although I didn't suffer from cramping or other symptoms like many women, I was constantly tired and fed up. My periods were ruining my life and negatively impacting on work. After consulting a gynecologist I decided the best treatment would be a UFE (uterine fibroid embolization). I chose this over a hysterectomy because the down time is 5 days versus a month or more. The procedure is performed by a radiologist under anesthesia; although you are awake during the procedure (the doctor needs you to follow his instructions during the procedure) there was no pain. Recovery was a night in hospital. The pain starts a few hours after the procedure, but with self-administered pain medicines plus heavy duty drugs every few hours it was manageable. I was sent home 24 hours after the procedure and rated for the next few days. The pain was totally manageable and I was fully recovered and back at work the following Monday. There was a noticeable difference with my next period. Very light bleeding for 3 days. I had the treatment nearly 12 months ago and I continue to have extremely light periods for a few days. Having the UFE was the best thing I ever did. I just went with that as I'd seen someone about it who had the surgery years ago. I have my life back.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

I am a forty year old women and just found out I have an 18 in a half inch fibroid in my uterus.

Comment from: AnnMJ, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I had relatively minor pain with my periods during most of my life. At around age 50 I was bleeding all the time; it might just be spotting, or a full period, but it was constant. After several months, I brought it to the attention of my gynecologist. He immediately scheduled me for a uterine ablation due to anemia. After that, I continued to have regular periods, but stopped bleeding between cycles. We tried the Depo-Provera injections, but those caused me to bleed 24/7 again, and I ended up with phlebitis, so had to stop them. Over the past few years, I've had increasing pain and cramping when I cycle. I'm 56 and the cycle only lasts a few days, although I still pass blood, it's a minimal amount. Despite that, the cramps are very intense and debilitating. I haven't vomited, but I do rely on ibuprofen and prescription muscle relaxers to help me through it. My obstetrician/gynecologist, primary care physician and I agree that I'm so close to the end of menstruating, I should try to hold off instead of having a hysterectomy. In reading some of the information on line about women who continue to have pain post menopause, I have to admit it scares me. If I hurt this bad even a few years ago when my periods were in full swing, I would not have hesitated to have a hysterectomy. It's more painful than I would have ever imagined and I'm just so grateful I didn't have this all my life, as some women suffer with it!

Uterine Fibroids - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your uterine fibroids?
Uterine Fibroids - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your uterine fibroids
Uterine Fibroids - Surgery Question: If you had surgery to remove fibroids, describe the procedure. Are you satisfied with the results?
Uterine Fibroids - Diagnosis Question: What were the tests and exams that led to a diagnosis of uterine fibroids?