Patient Comments: Uterine Fibroids - Experience

Please describe your experience with uterine fibroids (benign tumors of the uterus).

Comment from: MD, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 12

I have always had heavy and painful periods but have accepted it as 'one of those things'. Fibroids were not discovered until I went to the doctor with spot bleeding between periods.

Comment from: shorty, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

I was diagnosed with a 6cm fibroid in June this year. I heavy bleeding which lasts 3 weeks, with a six day break. I had Mirena coil fitted but it came out two months later. I feel very ill with palpitations and tiredness. I now take mefenamic acid and have been prescribed cerazette. I am 43 and don't really want to a have a hysterectomy and the only other option I've been offered is to burn the lining of the womb, but I will still have the fibroid.

Comment from: M1, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

My experience with a uterine fibroid was not a painful one. I suddenly began experiencing "break-through" bleeding in between my periods while I was taking Yaz birth control pills. I thought that I must not be taking my pill consistently enough so I waited and watched things for a few months. My doctor ordered a saline hystosonogram, and I learned that a fibroid was the culprit. Once it was removed my spotting symptoms subsided.

Uterine Fibroids - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your uterine fibroids?
Uterine Fibroids - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your uterine fibroids
Uterine Fibroids - Surgery Question: If you had surgery to remove fibroids, describe the procedure. Are you satisfied with the results?
Uterine Fibroids - Diagnosis Question: What were the tests and exams that led to a diagnosis of uterine fibroids?